KEF R 5.1 or 7.1

nickdxb

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
Hi everyone. so for christmas i bought myself some replacement front speakers to go with my marantz sr7005. I sawthe Kef type R and fell in love. i have a pair of r700 for right and left, the r600c for center and the r400b sub

so the question becomes the rear speakers, for more or less the same money i can have a pair of the r300 for the rear, or two pairs of the r100 which im thinking for 7.1 layout 4 at the back rather than a pair for the high channel.

so what do people think a pair of r300 or two pair ofbthe r100???

Myset up

Samsung 46inch led

marantz sr7005

sony bdp 790

complete van den hul hdmi cables and sub cables

wireworld matrixv2 and stratus power leads

thanks all

nick

theo12

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Hi Nick,

The choice seems to be quite a difficult one. I suggest doing a demo with both your choices to see which suits you best.

My thoughts are, if multi channel music is significant part of your diet then go for the 300's, if movies are the higher portion of the menu go 7.1 and get the 100's.

One thought I do have is that not many movies have 7.1 soundtracks, although your amp may be able to create the extra info, and that's why I suggest a demo, at home if poss. This will tell you whether having 7 speakers is really the thing to do. Otherwise with 2 300's at the back you will revel in a soundfield of utter joy.

Good luck either way

Theo12

nickdxb

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
I thought like that but also worried that the r100 would be to small to compliment the fronts and would be, maybe, drowned out for want of a better term???

I replaced a set of jbl lx series and to be fair the whole set was cheaper than one front speaker of the kefs but was so suprised at just how awsome these speakers are.......

will the r100compliment the bigger fronts? especially the r600 center???

nickdxb

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
quick correction the fronts are r700....

the focus is much more on movie.... and unfortunatly i am in a place where i cant do demos...... :?

theo12

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Nick,

As I understand it, the 300's are better all round over the 100's, but not so much as to rule them out.

You have pointed out that movies are the focus of your enjoyment.

If you have movies with 7.1 soundtracks and the amp can also provide 7.1 from a 5.1 source then go for the 100's. Why?

Ok, well I heard an 11.2 package last year and the rears were 100's. The experience was seamless and putting that in to context, the subs were ensuring that there was no "apparent" loss of bass, due to the rears being smaller. Also they have almost identical HF/MF drivers.

If demos are out of the question then you can only go for what you think is best. Not many film nuts I know have 7 speakers, but those that do rave about the way they feel being surrounded by the sound.

Have you thought about a pair of 300's and a pair of 100's? Only mention that as an option for the " I wish I had both" thought.

Finally, with the bass that both the 700's and the sub can produce, I doubt that you will miss much if anything if you go for the 100's.

Let us know what you decide and what the resulting effect is.

Happy days

Theo12

gregvet

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
I would suggest that you also consider the position the speakers will be in. Neither speaker will be happiest right up against the wall, but I definitely wouldn't want to put the r300's right up against the rear wall. I know you can plug the rear port n all, but then you are neutering the speaker really. Better to go for the r100 if that is likely to be the case IMO.

nickdxb

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
I would have like the dipole, but no stock.....

i have pulled the trigger and bought the r300s..... thanks everyone...

Now the question becomes what is the best way of attachjng the speakers to the mission stands i bought? i have two dogs so worried about them falling off! i really dont want to screw them in, double sided sticky tape???

nick

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts