KEF Q900s help please with extras

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi folks,

Firstly i am a total tech noob so all help is appriciated.

My way of thinking and correct me if i am totally wrong hehe but I really don't think I will want or use a CD, its a dying tech isn't it or its heading away from CD and more to online and streaming? So i figured that an amp, speakers and a radio/tuner/dab/internet??

I listen to the radio alot, more than most other forms. Sometimes iPod classic with music ranging from Funk, funky house, rock and pop.

The room size is quite small as are the other rooms but eventually I would like to future proof as much as I can and be able to fit speakers throughout the flat. Same music going throughout the flat is fine. The room sizes are around 14' by 12' ( 2 rooms like this and a toilet and kitchen that would be nice to add speakers for at a much later stage)

It wont be used for TV at the moment as I have an Onkyo 5.1 full setup and reciever, so it will be just for music (all sorts, like a nice sounding bass for the funky house and nice clear tones for the rock?). Forgive me as you can see my knowledge is zero and maybe later on switch the Onkyo to the bedroom and use this setup for the main room.

I am looking at the KEF Q900's and from what i read they seem to be a very nice speaker? Again from what i read, these speakers perform best with either bi amping or bi wiring with copper wires? Now i dont really have a clue about passive and active etc etc.

What type of amp would i need for this? Bi amp? Intergrated amp? 2 amps? lol this is where i am lost.

Also which amps to get to get the full best sound from those speakers?

Am i better off with a very good reciever?

Can a very good reciever also be bi amped?

I have no clue what i am talking about only from what i read.

So idealy an amp thats good that will power the speakers and pair nicely with them. A radio of some sorts and something to play MP3? or as ive read a little something about a radio/streamer that outshines a CD player?

Would i need 2 or 4 speakers in the main room?

The other rooms when i get some more cash will be Ceiling or wall inserted speakers i guess?

What wires are best?

I would like to future proof and just add to the system so i relise the initial input budget would be alot?

Sorry for all these questions but i really haven't a clue where to begin.

Many Thanks again for any help or suggestions

Peter

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
CD is a dead technology to those who have already moved over to streaming, but CD is still alive and well, and pretty cheap at the moment too!! But if you're looking at streamers, something like the upcoming Denon DNP720 or marantz NA7004 would be ideal. These will have access to internet radio stations, as well as Napster and LastFM, and will have USB connections to plug in MP3 or iPods directly.

The Q900's don't have to be bi-amped to get the best from them, and they don't necessarily have to be bi-wired either, but both will help.

A good integrated amplifier or a pre/power will be fine for them. Depending on the sort of sound you're after, you could look at the Rega Brio R, Audiolab 8200A, and naim Nait 5i as a starting point. If you can afford it, the Audiolab 8200CDQ CD/pre with an 8200P power amplifier will get most speakers kicking - a recent demo with various kit saw the listener choosing that Audiolab combination with the KEF Q700's - the KEF and Audiolab is a nice, lively combo with plenty of detail, with plenty of impact thanks to the dedicated power amplifier. The 8200CDQ will also act as a DAC, so you can plug in other digital components, like streamers, to improve their digital-analogue conversion.

A cheap, but good quality option for multi-room is to add a Marantz MCR603 (£449) system to each room you want noise. These incorporate a CD player, have access to internet radio, Napster, LastFM, and have a USB for MP3 players as well as other spare inputs, and will stream from any PC you hold music on. They can be controlled by an iPod/iPhone app, and they're AirPlay ready. They have two pairs of speaker outputs, should you wish to run two pairs in one room, or supply two rooms with one system.

Do make sure you have a demo though - you may not even like the Q900's! Unlikely though. Even though they're quite large speakers, you shouldn't find the bass overpowering if they're half a foot or so away from the rear wall. They're a sealed cabinet, so bass isn't exaggerated by reflex ports. You should find them quite even in their bass response, and bass should never take over - the grip of the amplifier should see to that. If you do find the Q900's are a little much for that size room, the Q700's should fit the bill nicely. If for any reason you're not too keen on the KEF's, try the B&W CM8's.

Don't confuse your stereo image with more than two speakers - a good pair of loudspeakers with a good soundtage will be enough for a room that size. Would you rather one better pair of speakers or two lesser ones? :)

Don't worry about cables at this point, just get the speakers and electronics right, and those can be chosen at a later date. If you bidget about 10% for cables, you won't be far wrong.

A

Anonymous

Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies and the indepth comments. You could be both right about them being to big but its only for a year and then im moving again so hopefully they will be ok, plus the audio shop near me is doing a pair of 900's for £960.00.

I just went to the audio shop and spoke with the sales and they recomended the Denon AVR 2312 as i can later add things, get radio and its powerful enough for these speakers, what are your thoughts on this one? The amp is £799 but he also showed me the one down from that Denon 1812 i think it was at £449.00. How much would the extra money be worth spending on the more expensive amp as from what i understood they are similiar except the more expensive one has more power.

Is there an alternative make/model thats better for that money?

2 year warranty on the Denon and 5 year on the speakers.

They will do the speakers and the amp at £1759.00 including free setup at home, good deal?

Thanks once again for all your input.

Peter

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
The Q900's are £960 until the end of this month. They've been on offer as part of KEF's 50th anniversary.

An 1812 isn't going to do the job! The next one down from the 2312 is the 1912, and that's really the starting point, but the 2312 is far more capable. Ideally, you need to be getting a receiver that's as close to £1k as possible. I know that seems a little bit like recommending things based on price, but the £800-1,000 receivers are far more capable than those below £600.

A good deal? That's for you to decide - it's your cash! :grin:

A

Anonymous

hehe thats very true.

Ok do you have any suggestions for a top end reciever at the range your talking about?

I just found the Yamaha 3067 for £799 and am told they normally sell for £1500, would this be a better option?

Cheers

A

Anonymous

Wonderful, looks like i have found what to buy. I cant listen to them first but i hope the Yamaha will compliment the Kefs!

Thanks alot guys for your time to help me out.

Peter

Hi Peter

I've sold many combinations of Yamaha AV amplifiers and KEF speakers over the years. In my experience Yamaha's Cinema DSP technology used with KEF's UniQ drive unit technology and the overall tonal balance of this combination works just nicely :grin:

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

Thanks alot for your input, i think i will order this Yamaha now and get the speakers tomorrow.

Thanks for breaking in an Audiophile virgin :rofl:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts