Kef q750

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Yes you'd need a huge room for that one. But interesting even a pmc with a tiny bass driver but with the tl gets stated as having lower bass than the r900, with its dynamic prowess, so it seems to me for most uk living rooms it would be a no brainer. The r700 wasn't as good as the 20-23 at the time the twenty series was best 'budget' speakers, let alone the much improved 25-23.

QuestForThe13thNote said:
Yes you'd need a huge room for that one. But interesting even a pmc with a tiny bass driver but with the tl gets stated as having lower bass than the r900, with its dynamic prowess, so it seems to me for most uk living rooms it would be a no brainer. The r700 wasn't as good as the 20-23 at the time the twenty series was best 'budget' speakers, let alone the much improved 25-23.
What you're comparing is the difference between transmission line and reflex ports - they do different things. Reports show both models reach down in the 30s with regards to Hz, with the tranmission line reaching a little deeper, as expected. The problem with specs are that frequency response figures need a +/- rating to have any sort of meaning. Many quote +/-3dB, some +/-6dB, but some do quote +/-10dB. Number comparisons need to be direct equivalents to give any sort of meaning, although these (usually anechoic) measurements tend to be moot when the speaker is listened/measured in-room.

I'm basing my statements on what people were buying at the time (before Twenty5 Series) - more people went for R Series than Twenty Series, mainly because the Twenty Series was a little too lean sounding for the majority's ears, hence why the later Twenty5 Series isn't as lean sounding. The Twenty.23 will work in small/medium rooms due to their tonal balance - the R700 will work in medium to larger rooms as they like a bit of space to breathe, and with the use of the supplied bungs, can be made to work in smaller spaces. It's down to what the individual needs from the speaker, whether that is preference or necessity due to the room acoustics or size.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Interesting, probably as bass and lots of it, sells. But as I say I found the r700 in no way as good as the 20-23 on detail, dynamic prowess, timing. The pmc was just more musical. The r700 had a bigger sound but it wasn't by much. But you sell kef and not pmc I think? So if so I'd expect you to say what you do. How about the timing issue of single drivers, the regard to dynamics between the speakers. On a survey of my electronics I saw loads more using pmc speakers than kef, I'd expect that. But kef probably spend a lot more on marketing than pmc I'd bet. It's a more well known brand. I'd expect kef to sell more.

QuestForThe13thNote said:
Interesting, probably as bass and lots of it, sells. But as I say I found the r700 in no way as good as the 20-23 on detail, dynamic prowess, timing. The pmc was just more musical. The r700 had a bigger sound but it wasn't by much. But you sell kef and not pmc I think? So if so I'd expect you to say what you do. How about the timing issue of single drivers, the regard to dynamics between the speakers. On a survey of my electronics I saw loads more using pmc speakers than kef, I'd expect that. But kef probably spend a lot more on marketing than pmc I'd bet. It's a more well known brand. I'd expect kef to sell more.
I currently have neither R Series or PMC. As I said earlier, I'm basing my statements on what I experienced during the introduction of the R Series, and then the following introduction of the twenty Series. It's no secret here (or any other forum) that I rate both very highly for AV use. As far as music is concerned, the R Series (set up properly) would win out for me with music over the Twenty Series, but against the Twenty5 Series is another matter.

As far as timing is concerned, it's not an issue of the speaker has been designed properly. I think you may be misunderstanding where I'm coming from, as I prefer detail and timing over bass quantity. There are a number of speakers/ranges that I like that have a lean presentation, which can come across as more informative because a layer or two of bass has been stripped away, allowing the listener to hear more of what's going on throughout the rest of the frequency range.

Despite being two quite different companies, KEF will have more available budget to spend on marketing, and are a better known brand to the general public, but again, my statements are based on the number of demonstrations done (many!) with both ranges over a period of years (including many Cyrus systems). I think you're reading into things a bit too much. I'm not trying to paint a rosier picture of either brand or range, just stating my findings.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

I wouldn't expect a dealer who lists he sells kef speakers (whether he stocks the model or not) to say he prefers pmc over Kef, at this point in time. And obviously wouldn't appear to have a pmc account at present time too.

But whatever I'd urge the original poster to consider what he needs sound wise, and whether he can get better for same money in a comparable stand mount speaker of a better pedigree, whatever the brand, if choosing between that kef and tannoy. Plenty of people have been set on floorstanders and then bought standmounters.

I know someone who was going to buy new tannoy xt6f floorstanders for around a grand £1000 from richer sounds, but bought end of line new tannoy stand mount reference speakers for £1250 and half price, which are hugely better speakers with hardly any price difference. That's my point really not whether I prefer a brand or not.

Excitable Boy said:
But as a PMC owner he is desperate for you to say they are much better......
As I say, I rate both for different reasons (they suit different people), and I rate both highly for AV - I cna make an AV system out of either brand that will impress virtually anyone. Music reproduction is more of a personal thing, so it's down to the listener, but a speaker shouldn't be dismissed based on the amount of drivers it has, nor should assumptions be made about more 'mainstream' speaker manufacturers, as they have the resources to undertake a lot of research as well as produce speakers on tighter budgets, hence why PMC don't really offer anything under £1,000. Both have the same goal, they just approach it differently, and use different tech to reach that goal. I'm not sticking up for any one manufacturer here as I've dealt with both, and intend to deal with both on a long term basis.

:)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts