KEF Q350s sounds too dark ?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

mond

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
gasolin said:
mond said:
I haven't read the entire thread so not sure of your budget etc ,but what I think would definitely work for you is to add some supertweeters. This is exactly what I have done recently and the difference they make are stunning. More detail, more treble, and will make the sound more bright and less dark (without being over bright or fatiguing) I don't image you will consider this option as the tweeters will cost as much or more than your main speakers, but you may be able to find something on the used market. I use Townshend super tweeters which I can highly recommend. I have bought many a speaker from reviews only, as I generally buy second-hand so have taken a risk several times (including buying the supertweeters). I wouldn't worry about the numbers and what we can or can't hear within the frequency range as these tweeters effect the sound throughout the whole sound spectrum..... just don't ask me how they work!

If you did take this route you could use them with future speaker upgrades if need be or sell them on again when no longer required …

That takes away the advantage of coaxial drivers https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbc5GdM9RIg

Aah, well that particular system might not benefit from said supertweeters, but I daresay it’s also a far cry from the system of the OP !

That really is an incredible looking system, although it doesn't sound that great through my laptop speakers I'm sure it sounds amazing in real life :)

better start saving ........ for the hifi and the house to accomodate it!

GLYD

Jan 29, 2018
Visit site
Hi,

I have some improvements that I would like to share. I got the DH Labs Q10 speaker cables last week, they didnt make huge difference but it did gave the upper range frequencies more air and silky texture compared to my QED XT40 cables.

But the most difference made to my suprise was to use the rubber feets that came with the Atacama HSM stands for top plate. I was using bluetac and just to experiment, I removed them and put the speakers on the Atacama rubbers and suddenyl bass became more tight and upper mids became more detailed and clean.. That improved the ovarell sound colour. Also toed in the speakers again..

With these improvements, unplugged album of Eric Clapton sounds just wonderfull.. I can increase the volume and sound never becomes edgy & hard.. Strings sound strong, sharp, detailed and dynamic.. I switch to Dali Zensor s they loose the body to the sound KEF s deliver.. More thin sounding and strings sound more edgy.. However, with lower bit songs, via Spotify for example I still find the sound a bit veiled then I would prefer with the KEFs but things gotten better since first time I set the speakers up..

I'll be keeping the KEFs at this point.. They are not perfect but overally better package then the Dali.. I may have my eyes on the Spendors or BBC type monitors ( Graham, Falcon or Herberh ) for future upgrade.

GLYD

Jan 29, 2018
Visit site
gasolin said:
why not try Spendors or BBC type monitors instead of trying to get the kef's to sound the way you want them to?

first, Spendor A series not yet available in my country and BBC variants are out of my budget for the time being..

Pedro2

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
GLYD said:
Hi,

I have some improvements that I would like to share. I got the DH Labs Q10 speaker cables last week, they didnt make huge difference but it did gave the upper range frequencies more air and silky texture compared to my QED XT40 cables.

But the most difference made to my suprise was to use the rubber feets that came with the Atacama HSM stands for top plate. I was using bluetac and just to experiment, I removed them and put the speakers on the Atacama rubbers and suddenyl bass became more tight and upper mids became more detailed and clean.. That improved the ovarell sound colour. Also toed in the speakers again..

With these improvements, unplugged album of Eric Clapton sounds just wonderfull.. I can increase the volume and sound never becomes edgy & hard.. Strings sound strong, sharp, detailed and dynamic.. I switch to Dali Zensor s they loose the body to the sound KEF s deliver.. More thin sounding and strings sound more edgy.. However, with lower bit songs, via Spotify for example I still find the sound a bit veiled then I would prefer with the KEFs but things gotten better since first time I set the speakers up..

I'll be keeping the KEFs at this point.. They are not perfect but overally better package then the Dali.. I may have my eyes on the Spendors or BBC type monitors ( Graham, Falcon or Herberh ) for future upgrade.

Hi Glyd,

I also found the Atacama feet to be ‘better’ than blu tak. Again, some of your problems appear to be down to room acoustics and how your speakers interact with the listening environment. Are your speaker stands filled? Do you use spikes for feet? Is the rest of your kit free from acoustic feedback? Things you might want to consider....

GLYD

Jan 29, 2018
Visit site
Pedro2 said:
GLYD said:
Hi,

Hi Glyd,

I also found the Atacama feet to be ‘better’ than blu tak. Again, some of your problems appear to be down to room acoustics and how your speakers interact with the listening environment. Are your speaker stands filled? Do you use spikes for feet? Is the rest of your kit free from acoustic feedback? Things you might want to consider....

Hi Pedro2,

At the moment stands are not filled but it is on to do list.. I have the spikes installed.. acoustic where the speakers are located is not perfect. Speakers are close to side walls and there is a tall cabinet between the speakers.. not the ideal scenario I believe. There are for sure still improvements to be made.

Pedro2

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
May be acting as a large bass bin. Is it empty, full? Does it contain objects that will vibrate at certain frequencies and most importantly, could it be moved or if not, acoustically dampened in some way? Just some thoughts that may (or may not) help!

I have experience in the past with bass boom issues in our listening room. I changed the speakers some years ago but sometimes wish that I could hear them now with the Linn acoustic correction software applied. Good luck with your listening journey.

GLYD

Jan 29, 2018
Visit site
Hi Gasolin,

yes i still have them. But I got the Revel M16’s and happier now. I just couldn’t get along with kef’s warm nature. I love the looks, imaging and treble quality but low frequencies too dominant and dry in my room that I could not fix. they are on sale now.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts