KEF New/Old Q Series - A Candid Audition

shado

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
Finally got to hear the Q500 floorstander after approx 1 week of running in at a local Hifi Shop. I have the classic Q50 at home.

Unfortunately I have the 8XPd Amp but was not available so I utilised the Cyrus 6XP with 8 power Amp and 6SE CD Player (Same) on Friday 5 November so I was expecting fireworks.

I listened to Duffy Rockferry, Erasure 20 hits, U2 Joshua Tree, Some classical & Peter Gabriel with Chord cabling. For this listening test I did not get bogged down with Wireless/Mp3 files.

Subjected myself to 1 hour of listening without Power Amp to Familiarise myself with 6Xp and Kef Q500, then a further hour with power amp in place.

For those on here not used to the Cyrus signature it is a fast and cohesive sound with detail and dynamics, and the Kef iq50 in my honest opinion as I hate acronyms delivers a detailed vibrant midrange first, an exuberant treble (not harsh but stacks of energy) and a horizontal bass (i.e. laidback but is present) especially when you crank up the volume, as I have said before discrete - whereas the Iq30 has more bass because the cabinet is wider and the diaghram of each component is wider. So I am aware of the characteristic Q signature!!

The latest model has none of these, it has more bass, the diaghram of bass and tweeter are larger and those 3 efforts underneath, two act as reflex and the middle of those enhances the bass. So what KEF has produced is a speaker that has reigned in the treble somewhat and is more balanced in the midrange and bass and therefore have created a commendable neutral speaker which will obviously work well with more systems.

But it did not move me like its predecessor.

Current speaker - neutral

Older version - captivating.

Obviously I am biased to what I am currently hearing, but whereas I was prepared to purchase new speakers this year, it will now be wisely spent on a power amp in a bi-amp mode which should cater for more bass and some control over the treble, but not to the extreme. It will always be horses for course for choise but I am glad I have compared my system to this contender. I am sure many will be impressed with this effort, but I can happily say there is nothing wrong with the classic version as long as you appreciate it's signature.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I always felt the old iQ series was very underrated. I think a lot of people just don't get what the iQ series is about - those that do, love them. I find them far more informative than many other speakers, and better balanced too, as most speakers just try and produce as much bass as possible. Although I like the old iQ series, I think KEF have made a major step forward with e new Q series, and that'll shake up a few other manufacturers. Very enjoyable speakers.

stevieray

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
I used to have the old IQ5SE's and was really impressed with how emotive they were... they had feeling to the vocals and were very vivid! It was a shame that they were just a little too top heavey.... i then moved on to the MA RS6's which had loads more bass for the big room i had.. but never compared to the emotion that the IQ5SE's could create..... i have the Q500's now and they still dont seem to have the grip that the IQ5SE's had but are far easier to listen too....

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts