Review KEF LSX AirPlay - Sad and hopeless!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Nuri

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
The KEF LSX ultimate hide & seek guide

The KEF LSX are type I. The setup was done using KEF Control app 2.5.34 on latest iPhone /iOS. KEF firmware release 5.2. They are connected with a fixed IP ta a 2.4GHz 82Mbps WiFi. Streaming is done using Apple devices (iOS and MacOS on latest release).
  • When everything works fine the KEF LSX will appear on the AirPlay device list, you can select them, a tick box will appear next to them, they will turn on and start operating as soon as you start streaming like any AirPlay device.
  • Unfortunately this ideal situation never lasts and you end up quickly having problems.
  • Problem 1
    After a certain period of time the KEF LSX will lose their AirPlay connectivity although they still appear in the list of AirPlay devices and you will get an error message “AirPlay connection impossible” (this error message is really specific to the KEF LSX, no other device on my WiFi network has ever given me such an error, I can list Cambridge Audio, Hegel, Sony, Apple).
  • Problem 2
    After some time the KEF LSX will disappear from the AirPlay list but they will still appear as a WiFi connected device on the router.
  • Solution 1
    After problem 1 or 2 as the KEF LSX still appear on the WiFi router it is possible to disable the connection using the router’s application (the LED on the right speaker will start blinking) and re-enable the connection (the LED on the right speaker will start blinking again). After 15-60 sec. this will reset the AirPlay connection, the KEF LSX will appear again on the AirPlay device list and you can stream again. It’s sometimes necessary to repeat the process to gain access to AirPlay. Solution 1 is so far the most reliable.
  • Solution 2
    Use a network scan application to send a wake-on-line to the KEF LSX. After a delay they will appear again on the AirPlay device list and they will connect. Solution 1 is easier to operate.
  • Solution 3
    After problem 1 or 2 it also possible to turn on the KEF LSX WiFi connection using the KEF Control application. After a delay of approximately 60 sec. they may appear again on the AirPlay device list. From that point they may connect or sometimes they may not. If not we are back at stage problem 1: AirPlay connection impossible. Finally the KEF LSX may disappear from the AirPlay device list (stage problem 2). Solution 1 is more reliable.
  • Solution 4
    Find the remote control which is never user used and turn on the KEF LSX. This does not give any positive result. You remain in stage problem 2.
  • Solution 5
    Initiate a power cycle by unplugging and re-plugging the speakers (220V). This does not give any positive result. You remain in stage problem 2.
  • Problem 3
    After some time none of the above solutions will work or the frequency of the problems will become unacceptable. It is as if some garbage was accumulating on the circuit board…
  • Solution 6
    To address that you can try to reset the KEF LSX using the back pin switch. This will reset everything including the WiFi/ AirPlay connection and they will connect and play again. Unfortunately this will not prevent problem 1 & 2 from happening again.
  • Solution 7
    Last but not least you can perform a manual software update by connecting the main speaker with a cable to the network. Unfortunately this will not prevent problem 1 & 2 from happening again.
Remarks:
  • It is also possible to stream to the KEF LSX using Spotify (green LED) and KEF Stream (white LED). They are “slightly” more reliable than AirPlay but they end up having the same problems as AirPlay.
  • Always wait 30-60 seconds when you perform an action on the WiFi. The KEF LSX are slow to connect.

Gray

The KEF LSX ultimate hide & seek guide

The KEF LSX are type I. The setup was done using KEF Control app 2.5.34 on latest iPhone /iOS. KEF firmware release 5.2. They are connected with a fixed IP ta a 2.4GHz 82Mbps WiFi. Streaming is done using Apple devices (iOS and MacOS on latest release).
  • When everything works fine the KEF LSX will appear on the AirPlay device list, you can select them, a tick box will appear next to them, they will turn on and start operating as soon as you start streaming like any AirPlay device.
  • Unfortunately this ideal situation never lasts and you end up quickly having problems.
  • Problem 1
    After a certain period of time the KEF LSX will lose their AirPlay connectivity although they still appear in the list of AirPlay devices and you will get an error message “AirPlay connection impossible” (this error message is really specific to the KEF LSX, no other device on my WiFi network has ever given me such an error, I can list Cambridge Audio, Hegel, Sony, Apple).
  • Problem 2
    After some time the KEF LSX will disappear from the AirPlay list but they will still appear as a WiFi connected device on the router.
  • Solution 1
    After problem 1 or 2 as the KEF LSX still appear on the WiFi router it is possible to disable the connection using the router’s application (the LED on the right speaker will start blinking) and re-enable the connection (the LED on the right speaker will start blinking again). After 15-60 sec. this will reset the AirPlay connection, the KEF LSX will appear again on the AirPlay device list and you can stream again. It’s sometimes necessary to repeat the process to gain access to AirPlay. Solution 1 is so far the most reliable.
  • Solution 2
    Use a network scan application to send a wake-on-line to the KEF LSX. After a delay they will appear again on the AirPlay device list and they will connect. Solution 1 is easier to operate.
  • Solution 3
    After problem 1 or 2 it also possible to turn on the KEF LSX WiFi connection using the KEF Control application. After a delay of approximately 60 sec. they may appear again on the AirPlay device list. From that point they may connect or sometimes they may not. If not we are back at stage problem 1: AirPlay connection impossible. Finally the KEF LSX may disappear from the AirPlay device list (stage problem 2). Solution 1 is more reliable.
  • Solution 4
    Find the remote control which is never user used and turn on the KEF LSX. This does not give any positive result. You remain in stage problem 2.
  • Solution 5
    Initiate a power cycle by unplugging and re-plugging the speakers (220V). This does not give any positive result. You remain in stage problem 2.
  • Problem 3
    After some time none of the above solutions will work or the frequency of the problems will become unacceptable. It is as if some garbage was accumulating on the circuit board…
  • Solution 6
    To address that you can try to reset the KEF LSX using the back pin switch. This will reset everything including the WiFi/ AirPlay connection and they will connect and play again. Unfortunately this will not prevent problem 1 & 2 from happening again.
  • Solution 7
    Last but not least you can perform a manual software update by connecting the main speaker with a cable to the network. Unfortunately this will not prevent problem 1 & 2 from happening again.
Remarks:
  • It is also possible to stream to the KEF LSX using Spotify (green LED) and KEF Stream (white LED). They are “slightly” more reliable than AirPlay but they end up having the same problems as AirPlay.
  • Always wait 30-60 seconds when you perform an action on the WiFi. The KEF LSX are slow to connect.
Condolences.
Life's too short.....even just to type out all of the above ☹️

Reactions: My2Cents

daveh75

Getting a pair of LSX in shortly - I'll report my findings. Although, they'll be Mk2, not the original, discontinued MkI. Although I do have a MkI pair of LS50W in at the moment which I could try...

I've had a pair of LSX IIs since launch and I've had no connectivity issues whatsoever.

Though I don't use Airplay and they're connected via Ethernet.

Reactions: davidf

My2Cents

Nov 10, 2023
Visit site
The fact that you have 30 devices connected to your network and that the KEF's previously worked is a red flag.
Update all software (i.e. music streaming apps etc.), firmware (e.g. the KEF's) and operating systems (tablets / computers etc.) on all devices and make sure you are running the latest version of everything (even your routers firmware).
It is not unusual for Airplay devices to either fail to connect or loose their connection.
It's highly likely that another Airplay enabled device is interfering with the wireless Airplay stream to the KEF's.
You could try connecting the KEF's to your router with an Ethernet cable and see if Airplay works uninterrupted with a wired connection (Airplay is not just a wireless connection, it also works over an Ethernet cable to a compatible device).

Reactions: DougK1 and davidf

My2Cents

Nov 10, 2023
Visit site
It would also be useful to know what device you are using to stream your music from.
VPN's and Firewall settings can have an impact on Airplay (along with baby monitors and security cameras that may be connected to the system) and microwave ovens may cause issues... where is your router located and what wi-fi band are you using for Airplay to the KEF's? What firmware version do your KEF's have?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts