Kef ls50 meta wireless question

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
For anyone who uses any version, do you need internet for these to work with each other or do they have their own protocol please?

In other words if my internet goes down can I still use these with something plugged in without joining them with the cable. Thanks

EricLeRouge

Jan 15, 2020
Visit site
It requires a wifi network, not the Internet. (If tour internet connexion is down, it will still operate — but obviously you will not be able to stream music from the Internet).

Reactions: muljao

AVDude

Oct 17, 2020
Visit site
Wireless & Networking in general has nothing to do with the internet, unless the product explicitly claims it has cloud dependency for functionality.
You only need worry about where your audio source is coming from - IoT streamed home audio from a user supplied audio storage device for example.

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
Wireless & Networking in general has nothing to do with the internet, unless the product explicitly claims it has cloud dependency for functionality.
You only need worry about where your audio source is coming from - IoT streamed home audio from a user supplied audio storage device for example.
Thanks. What I couldn't find was did the kefs need wireless or network to talk to each other. Other wireless setup speakers have their own built in so other than for streaming they did not need home wireless to work

Reactions: AVDude

AVDude

Oct 17, 2020
Visit site
Thanks. What I couldn't find was did the kefs need wireless or network to talk to each other. Other wireless setup speakers have their own built in so other than for streaming they did not need home wireless to work
Based on my own reading on this, at the very least you'd need a local wifi connection with a compatible streaming service (airplay, roon or whatever) to get multiple speakers all streaming, otherwise if it were one or two speaker then it's likely you'd only have to direct connect to it with a phone.

Two speakers can be connected directly to each other and fed audio however you choose.

These KEF LS50 Wireless II's do have a nice selection of options (HDMI, Toslink, Coaxial, Analog), so any number of sound setups are possible.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts