KEF LS50 Meta - which of these amps?

Snidely Whiplash

Sep 30, 2021
Visit site
Hi all! first time poster here. I purchased a pair of KEF LS 50 Meta speakers and I have 3 amp choices. I may end up buying one if none of these are suitable.

Yamaha A-S301 - 30 watts per channel
Denon AVR2112C1 90 watts per channel
A 1982 Denon PMA-770 Integrated Amp (reconditioned) - 100 watts per channel.

I already tried them with the Denon AVR and the sound is amazing. I don't think the Yammy's have enough power...but I might be wrong. I'm picking up the 1982 Denon PMA-770 from the repair shop tomorrow. I have high hopes for this one.

Wondering if anyone has any thoughts on which of these is a better match for the Metas?

Thanks in advance :)

shadders

Hi,
In the end, let your ears decide.

For the AVR option, which sounds great to you, then why not stick with that ?

There is a lot of bias against AVR's when in fact used as a 2 channel amplifier, is as good as a dedicated Hifi stereo amplifier. The amplification circuit will hardly be any different.

Regards,
Shadders.

Reactions: Snidely Whiplash
Hi,
In the end, let your ears decide.

For the AVR option, which sounds great to you, then why not stick with that ?

There is a lot of bias against AVR's when in fact used as a 2 channel amplifier, is as good as a dedicated Hifi stereo amplifier. The amplification circuit will hardly be any different.

Regards,
Shadders.
I would tend to agree if you can get a good, old and cheap AVR.
It makes, however, no economic sense to buy a new one to drive only 2 speakers

Snidely Whiplash

Sep 30, 2021
Visit site
Thanks for the answers. I didn't realize the Yamaha is 60 wpc. The AVR sounds great. I am waiting to hook up the Denon integrated tomorrow to see if I hear a difference.

I already own all 3 of these. The Denon Integrated is the only one I haven't tried so far.

Snidely Whiplash

Sep 30, 2021
Visit site
I picked her up from the repair shop this afternoon. Compared to the AVR, the sound is bigger. More power and punch. Very neutral sounding. I engaged the subsonic button and the speakers couldn't handle it, so I disengaged. Even without the subsonic engaged the bass is full and overall well balanced. I will probably upgrade at some point....for now this will do nicely.

Attachments

• Denon PMA-770.jpg
    Denon PMA-770.jpg
    216.5 KB · Views: 17
Reactions: rainsoothe

rainsoothe

I picked her up from the repair shop this afternoon. Compared to the AVR, the sound is bigger. More power and punch. Very neutral sounding. I engaged the subsonic button and the speakers couldn't handle it, so I disengaged. Even without the subsonic engaged the bass is full and overall well balanced. I will probably upgrade at some point....for now this will do nicely.
Whaaa? The 2 channel amp sounds better than the AVR? That cannot possibly be!...

Reactions: Snidely Whiplash

Snidely Whiplash

Sep 30, 2021
Visit site
Well...the classic Denon Integrated took a dump and I'm back with the AVR. Now that I've had a few days...I don't believe there is a huge difference between it and the amp. 90 wpc is 90 wpc channel. I might spring for a Hegel, or something like it....at some point...but the AVR will do nicely for now.

What do you recommend?

As a start and for a modest sum of around £250 - £350 look at the used market for Rotel's RA-1062 integrated amplifier. You should find the RA-1062’s overall tonality combined with it’s high current capability and one which is working to its full intended specification to grip, drive and energise your KEF LS50 Meta speakers far more effectively and offer better stability at almost any comparable level and thereby enhance the traits such as punch, attack, etc.

The RA-1062 is a high current amplifier which was partly designed around and to power the resistive speakers such as 801’s. Therefore in comparison your existing KEF LS50 Meta speakers should be a walk in the park for an RA-1062.

Reactions: nopiano and Al ears

RoA

Feb 11, 2021
Visit site
My experience with passive LS50's is limited but I can imagine most (Non Class D) Nad's, including the smallest one, 316BEE, should be fine.

In a brief shop comparison I found them fairly laid back speakers, certainly not forward, with good damping. They image in plane with and behind the speakers not unlike the Actives.

Something with a bit of pep, warmth, drive and a modicum of current should suit.

My experience with passive LS50's is limited but I can imagine most (Non Class D) Nad's, including the smallest one, 316BEE, should be fine.
Not many would argue with the technical aspects of the LS50s and what these bring to the table, but I’ll guarantee you that the majority of those on the used market are being sold by users who have insufficient amplification to make them sound as they have been designed to sound.

michael hoy

Not many would argue with the technical aspects of the LS50s and what these bring to the table, but I’ll guarantee you that the majority of those on the used market are being sold by users who have insufficient amplification to make them sound as they have been designed to sound.
Had the original LS50's on the end of an Arcam A49 and they really sang.

Reactions: davidf

gasolin

when whathifi tested the first ls50 it was to weak wehn paired it with the Nad D3020

I have heard some say the ampm i have Sabaj A20A is good with the ls 50meta

For stereo only i would go for no less then a Rege brio or Rotel A11 Tribute to get most out of the amp, small infineon 1270 class d amps from smsl,sabaj would properly work fine too if your on a low budget after have bought the kef's

AndyCC72

Jan 13, 2021
Visit site
Hi all! first time poster here. I purchased a pair of KEF LS 50 Meta speakers and I have 3 amp choices. I may end up buying one if none of these are suitable.

Yamaha A-S301 - 30 watts per channel
Denon AVR2112C1 90 watts per channel
A 1982 Denon PMA-770 Integrated Amp (reconditioned) - 100 watts per channel.

I already tried them with the Denon AVR and the sound is amazing. I don't think the Yammy's have enough power...but I might be wrong. I'm picking up the 1982 Denon PMA-770 from the repair shop tomorrow. I have high hopes for this one.

Wondering if anyone has any thoughts on which of these is a better match for the Metas?

Thanks in advance :)
Cyrus One - 100wpc - drives the LS50 's with ease and can be bought relatively cheaply used.

I ran the LS50's with the Cyrus for quite a while and was very happy with it. Some people say the combination is bright, most of those have never heard it and are basing it on the Cyrus 'house sound'.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts