KEF ls50 - Highly Recommended

Page 17 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Pipila

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
One more short question:

- how important are speaker cables for LS50, what price level is recomended, or, if possible, which brand?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Pipila said:
One more short question:

- how important are speaker cables for LS50, what price level is recomended, or, if possible, which brand?

I used Chord Rumour in my own system with them, but have used Epic and Odyssey with them before in demos. Most of the Chord cables seem to suit well, but I would probably the less warm sounding ones like Sarsen, Rumour and Epic, unless you like that kind of thing, or need a little warmth to offset brighter electronics.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
Pipila said:
One more short question:

I used Chord Rumour in my own system with them, but have used Epic and Odyssey with them before in demos. Most of the Chord cables seem to suit well, but I would probably the less warm sounding ones like Sarsen, Rumour and Epic, unless you like that kind of thing, or need a little warmth to offset brighter electronics.

If you are considering Chord Rumour then Van Damme OFC maybe better, several ex Rumours users found that to be the case and its cheaper also, at around £5pm for 4mm.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Pipila said:

Is that each speaker?

I see from your other post you have them 3.8m apart but you don't normally have the cables straight out from the speakers to the amp, they normally go down to the floor and then across and then up to the amp which adds at least 1m to the length.

Pipila

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
The Amp and network player are supposed to be placed in bottom left corner, close to the left speaker, so the other speaker will be on the very right side (guess at least 3m far from amp).

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Pipila said:
The Amp and network player are supposed to be placed in bottom left corner, close to the left speaker, so the other speaker will be on the very right side (guess at least 3m far from amp).

This is debatble but its probably best to have the cables of a similar length. So you may need 6-8m of cable.

nikiniki

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
The minimum amplifier I'd personally recommend would be something like the Pioneer A50 (usually around £400) and the Rotel models (starting at £349).

@David: in your opinion, how does the Marantz Pearl Lite amp & cdp duo work with the LS50s? In comparison to the Pioneer and Rotel models, would this be a better match or not?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
nikiniki said:
David@FrankHarvey said:
The minimum amplifier I'd personally recommend would be something like the Pioneer A50 (usually around £400) and the Rotel models (starting at £349).

@David: in your opinion, how does the Marantz Pearl Lite amp & cdp duo work with the LS50s? In comparison to the Pioneer and Rotel models, would this be a better match or not?

The Marantz is on the warmer side. It won't sound as tight as the Pioneer, but those that feel the LS50 is a little too forward will probably like the LS50/Pearl Lite combo. They will work very well together, but personally I prefer things a little tighter.

alchemist 1

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
nikiniki said:
David@FrankHarvey said:

The Marantz is on the warmer side. It won't sound as tight as the Pioneer, but those that feel the LS50 is a little too forward will probably like the LS50/Pearl Lite combo. They will work very well together, but personally I prefer things a little tighter..............Titter !.......:grin:

ErwinC

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
alchemist 1 said:
ErwinC said:
alchemist 1 said:
On owning these fantastic Kef's...........8)

What would be a possible upgrade from LS50's ?................:? ..

Q Acoustics Concept 20. :rockout:
A intersting comment......because ? :)

Because i owned the LS50 till a few months ago and i now own the Concept 20.

I already liked the 2020i a lot (just like the LS50), but the Concept 20 is really something special imo. It is more detailed, more musical and more open than the LS50 and it has a protective grille ;) All in my opinion of course. But most af all, everytime i listen to the Concept 20, a big smile appears on my face. :dance:

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
ErwinC said:

I already liked the 2020i a lot (just like the LS50), but the Concept 20 is really something special imo. It is more detailed, more musical and more open than the LS50 and it has a protective grille ;) All in my opinion of course. But most af all, everytime i listen to the Concept 20, a big smile appears on my face. :dance:

Impressive stuff, given they are less than half the price...........enjoy. :rockout:

alchemist 1

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
ErwinC said:
alchemist 1 said:
ErwinC said:
alchemist 1 said:
On owning these fantastic Kef's...........8)

What would be a possible upgrade from LS50's ?................:? ..

Q Acoustics Concept 20. :rockout:
A intersting comment......because ? :)

Even more intreguing comments, gosh even more detail than the LS50's..............:O .............the grill would be a big plus....|( .....
How are they for positioning ?

Also do you use the matching stands ?............:)

ErwinC

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
alchemist 1 said:
How are they for positioning ?

Also do you use the matching stands ?............:)

They are placed on a cabinet, but i use Auralex propad monitor isolation tabs between the speakers and the cabinet. Works very well.

Pipila

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Do you think it is a problem if one speaker is positioned 4-5cm higher than the other? Will this ahve any noticable influence over the sound?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts