KEF ls50 - Highly Recommended

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

theo12

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
David,

have you been able to get your hands on the A70 yet?

Looks a bit of a winner with the Sabre DAC inside as well, along with asynchronous USB connection.

Would be interested to know if the LS50's perform as well with this amp, especially feeding the DAC with some 24/96 fodder. Although just as interested in any feedback of this new amp and the KEF's.

Thanks

Theo12

theo12

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Ah yes Primare, rather tasty I fancy, look forward to reading your thoughts on both brands.

BTW have you had any chance to listen to any Electrocompaniet amps with any of the recent KEF speakers? Whilst they are normally out of my price range, I heard some at the Bristol show back in March and feel like saving for a few months to enjoy the pairing.

If not I will just have to do some demoing next year when funds allow, although getting a demo of these speakers and the electro amp might prove a challenge in itself.

Anyway look forward to your posts on the equipment you have coming in.

Thanks

Theo12

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
theo12 said:
BTW have you had any chance to listen to any Electrocompaniet amps with any of the recent KEF speakers? Whilst they are normally out of my price range, I heard some at the Bristol show back in March and feel like saving for a few months to enjoy the pairing.

This is a good plan, so don't lose sight of it.

theo12

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Cno

thanks for the support.

The plan is to get an OPPO BDP105, an ECI 3 and a pair of R500's, keep the DENON 3803 for surround duties via anologue connections from the OPPO and use XLR from the OPPO to the ECI 3.

Then use the asychronous USB on the OPPO to get playback from the computer.

It is going to be around about a year of saving to get all the components, my only concern is getting the demo.

Either the amp or the speakers will have to be purchased without hearing them attached to each other, and at the moment I reckon buying the speakers and then taking them to the amp is the best bet as I doubt I would dislike the speakers.

Anyway I'll report back in time on this adventure. I'll be starting with the computer over the next month, then on to the OPPO in January, then save and see if there are discounts at next year's Bristol show on the KEFs. I can always demo those with some price compatible amps. Although they might be on show again with the Electro equipment.

But i'll take one step at a time, a demo of the R500's vs the LS50's will be a good starting point, which in the new year I might ask David if he would oblige in this case.

Thanks again, your advice will be heeded.

Theo12

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
theo12 said:
Cno

thanks for the support.

The plan is to get an OPPO BDP105, an ECI 3 and a pair of R500's, keep the DENON 3803 for surround duties via anologue connections from the OPPO and use XLR from the OPPO to the ECI 3.

Either the amp or the speakers will have to be purchased without hearing them attached to each other, and at the moment I reckon buying the speakers and then taking them to the amp is the best bet as I doubt I would dislike the speakers.

Anyway I'll report back in time on this adventure.

But i'll take one step at a time, a demo of the R500's vs the LS50's will be a good starting point, which in the new year I might ask David if he would oblige in this case.

You are very welcome.

If ever there was a combination that could be bought without being demoed together, it would probably be Electro + R series, so good luck with that.

I suspect that if you have a sizable room, you will miss the scale of the R500s...but you won't know for sure unless you can try them in situ.

Cno

theo12

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Well I don't have a particularly big room, but I do like to have "scale", I will have to wait until I have heard both speakers, unlikely to get a demo in situ for both, I can but ask my local Sevenoaks!

It'll be a while before I get to demo either anyway, but I'll post a thread when the time comes.

Thanks again

Theo12

damonster

Oct 30, 2008
Visit site
Sorry to jump in but i didnt want to start a new post.I have got quite excited about the reviews on these speakers .I currently have Leema xeros and like the sound of these as they give me very detailed mids ( i dont crave massive amounts of bass) ,But would like something that would give me a bigger and deeper soundstage.Would these Kef s be a step up from the Xeros as they are roughly the same price category.Also would the Leema pulse drive them ok.Any views appreciated.

Its hard for me to get a demo as i work opposite shifts to my missus and have small kids to look after.

Hi damonster

I feel that you should also consider ATC's SCM11 monitors. SCM11 monitors are capable of reproducing an even bigger and deeper soundstage. Out of interest, one of my clients (who also uses an Audiolab 8200 CD player Leema Pulse amplification) recently visited us with his Pulse 3 amplifier to audition SCM40 monitors. The Audiolab > Leema > ATC combination worked a treat :rockout:

Btw, the Leema has also got enough quality and (as long as you're after constant disco like listening levels) quantity of power to be paired with SCM11 monitors.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

hoopsontoast

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
MUSICRAFT said:
Hi damonster

I feel that you should also consider ATC's SCM11 monitors. SCM11 monitors are capable of reproducing an even bigger and deeper soundstage. Out of interest, one of my clients (who also uses an Audiolab 8200 CD player Leema Pulse amplification) recently visited us with his Pulse 3 amplifier to audition SCM40 monitors. The Audiolab > Leema > ATC combination worked a treat :rockout:

Btw, the Leema has also got enough quality and (as long as you're after constant disco like listening levels) quantity of power to be paired with SCM11 monitors.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Maybe you should get a Kef account Rick, then you could recommend the LS50's on every thread :beer:

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
damonster said:
Sorry to jump in but i didnt want to start a new post.I have got quite excited about the reviews on these speakers .I currently have Leema xeros and like the sound of these as they give me very detailed mids ( i dont crave massive amounts of bass) ,But would like something that would give me a bigger and deeper soundstage.Would these Kef s be a step up from the Xeros as they are roughly the same price category.Also would the Leema pulse drive them ok.Any views appreciated.

The LS50's certainly produce an expansive soundstage, which is unhindered by the shape of their front baffle. There's no issue with detail either - I would describe them as "mini Reference" - so think 201/2 but without the bass extension. Whether film or music, I'm finding little things here and there that I've just never heard before - intonations during speech and pitch changes in bass guitars and other notes that most speakers don't pick up on. This is all down to their cabinet adding nothing to the end result.

I'm finding at the moment that amplifiers like the Roksan Kandy, Naim Nait XS, Pioneer A50, and even the little Leema Elements do the LS50's justice, so I'm sure your Pulse will work perfectly well with them.

hoopsontoast said:
MUSICRAFT said:
Hi damonster

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Maybe you should get a Kef account Rick, then you could recommend the LS50's on every thread :beer:

Hi hoopsontoast

As i am sure that you are aware i do also recommend new/discontinued products from manufacturers that i don't deal with and also point members in the direction of other dealers which i have no connection with :beer:

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

damonster

Oct 30, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the reply,do you think they would be an upgrade on the xeros which in turn have a very revealing midrange or are we talking major advances now .This also applies to the Atc scm 11's.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I'll hopefully be doing a bit of testing tomorrow on my day off...

Oh, and the Pioneer A70 turned up today - currently running in in the demo room with the LS50's - I'll get a listen Friday when I'm back at work.

alchemist 1 said:
Less than 24 hrs and counting.......8)

Hi alchemist 1

smiley-cool.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft