KEF LS50 2 Wireless - Should I buy?

Mus1cLover

Feb 4, 2022
Visit site
Hi All,

I currently own some Monitor Audio Bronze 2's coupled with a NAD C 316BEE amp and am contemplating purchasing the new KEF LS50 Wireless 2's.

I listen to a whole range of music including a lot of Jazz, Reggae, Drum & Bass (all lossless quality via FLAC and Tidal streaming service) and will be listening in a small room at low and medium volumes.

I'm keen to understand your thoughts on:

1) Is this a good investment of $4.2k?
2) Will there be a significant uplift in listening quality
3) The best way to sell my existing set-up to reduce the overall cost

Thanks so much

RoA

Feb 11, 2021
Visit site
I would think your current system sounds 'fun'.

The Wireless will sound more refined, more dynamic and true to source. It goes reasonably loud but is best at low to medium volume. Bass good but we are talking about a small box with small drivers. DSP helps but can not overcome physics.

It wouldn't be my first choice for a couple of your mentioned genres but it will of course do them at volumes not exceeding its capabilities. Ideally pair with a subwoofer.

It will be quite change in sound. Whether you like it only you can decide.

I owned the Meta Wireless from release and recently sold it.

Reactions: Mus1cLover
I don't think anyone can distinctly answer questions 1 and 2.
You really are going to have to audition yourself before parting with this amount of money on speakers that are so completely different to what you already own.

skinnypuppy71

Aug 10, 2021
Visit site
Just remember, once you buy them...no upgradeitis....that could be a good thing, can't upgrade the dac, amp etc..I had a demo of the first ls50 wireless with a view to all do it type source but they just couldn't compete with the system I had back then Naim nait xs, cd 5 mkii and my pmc twenty 21...although these were well in excess of the rrp of the kefs to be fair, I'd say stick with separate components, just my 2 cents.

Reactions: shadders
Welcome! Have you heard the KEFs? I like them a lot but they might not suit everyone, especially if you have a large space to fill or like loud listening levels. Some feel they need a sub-woofer or two.

As you’re quoting dollars, I can’t suggest where to sell, but here in the UK eBay has the biggest reach, though some care is needed.

Mus1cLover

Feb 4, 2022
Visit site
I appreciate all your responses and have listened to the KEF's and was impressed with the functionality. The sound grew on me, but I did notice that you are at the mercy of the WiFi connection.

Is there an option to plug in an external hardrive to the speakers to play files directly if the WiFi ever broke down?

I've decided to retain the set-up I have to donate to my kids, if and when I purchase the KEF's.

Appreciate the feedback about the subwoofer. Do they NEED to be paired with the KEF subwoofer or are they very forgiving in relation to pairing?

SallyB

Jan 18, 2022
Visit site
I appreciate all your responses and have listened to the KEF's and was impressed with the functionality. The sound grew on me, but I did notice that you are at the mercy of the WiFi connection.

Is there an option to plug in an external hardrive to the speakers to play files directly if the WiFi ever broke down?

I've decided to retain the set-up I have to donate to my kids, if and when I purchase the KEF's.

Appreciate the feedback about the subwoofer. Do they NEED to be paired with the KEF subwoofer or are they very forgiving in relation to pairing?
As far as I am aware there is a sub out output on the LS50 which gives options for wired non Kef subs, although I have no experience of what might be appropriate. However, there is the option to use Kefs wireless adaption kit which brings in use of a number of Kef subs, notably the KC62 (but I suspect not other brands, others might correct me!). Wireless integration brings more simpler set up for the beginner and in the case of the LS50 enables the sub to take more of the load off the main speakers.

There are also inputs into the LS50 which could enable some 3rd party devices like music servers to connect, or it’s upnp feature may be helpful.

SallyB

Jan 18, 2022
Visit site
Just remember, once you buy them...no upgradeitis....that could be a good thing, can't upgrade the dac, amp etc..I had a demo of the first ls50 wireless with a view to all do it type source but they just couldn't compete with the system I had back then Naim nait xs, cd 5 mkii and my pmc twenty 21...although these were well in excess of the rrp of the kefs to be fair, I'd say stick with separate components, just my 2 cents.
Except of course if the writer has the disposable income and does not want to go back to separates, then there are plenty of even more expensive active streaming speaker upgrades waiting!😀😀

DjokoDk

Apr 6, 2022
Visit site
I bought a pair of KEF Wireless 2's a couple of months back, with the new subwoofer and the connector as well.

I am disappointed. Not by the sound - they sound absolutely great when they want to play. But how extremely poor the bluetooth and wireless hardware is in the speakers. They suck big time!

I don't understand they get so good reviews, because i honestly have trouble with them playing continuously for half a day. Then i need to fiddle with something and reconnect etc.

Should I buy again, it would something else. Don't care if they win awards and are praised for their sound - they can't even keep a stable connection.

And the thing about not being able to play on a pair of speakers that supports bluetooth, without wifi is just ridiculous and completely infantile.

Mus1cLover

Feb 4, 2022
Visit site
@
I bought a pair of KEF Wireless 2's a couple of months back, with the new subwoofer and the connector as well.

I am disappointed. Not by the sound - they sound absolutely great when they want to play. But how extremely poor the bluetooth and wireless hardware is in the speakers. They suck big time!

I don't understand they get so good reviews, because i honestly have trouble with them playing continuously for half a day. Then i need to fiddle with something and reconnect etc.

Should I buy again, it would something else. Don't care if they win awards and are praised for their sound - they can't even keep a stable connection.

And the thing about not being able to play on a pair of speakers that supports bluetooth, without wifi is just ridiculous and completely infantile.

-----------------------------------
Now it is interesting that you say that. In the end, I decided against buying them, with the main reason being, whilst listening to them in-store, I experienced the exact problem you refer to with the wifi dropping out, and a challenge with quick changing from one song on tidal, to another on the NAS.

I agree entirely, that improvements need to be made with the connectivity before considering these as a serious option.

Reactions: nopiano

Jimboo

The Kefs fail because of the ridiculously poor apps. I don't have WiFi problems and who seriously is concerned about bluetooth?
I would buy the wireless metas if faced with the choice of what ls50's to buy.
KEF basically left me with abandonware apps and I never use them. Cd and record player sound great. I wanted less boxes and the sound is great for the money. The company has shot itself in the foot over their wireless range,LSX included.
A case of a chance missed. I will never trust their active range again.

Pedro2

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
If you go for an all in one solution for a speaker, you are at the mercy of the Wi-Fi and DAC components - a risk that many don’t want to make.
Alternatively, you can go for a more traditional active speaker approach such as the excellent Acoustic Energy AE1a. You will still need a source/preamp but the results can be exceptionally good.

Snellejelle

Apr 9, 2022
Visit site
Hi All,

I currently own some Monitor Audio Bronze 2's coupled with a NAD C 316BEE amp and am contemplating purchasing the new KEF LS50 Wireless 2's.

I listen to a whole range of music including a lot of Jazz, Reggae, Drum & Bass (all lossless quality via FLAC and Tidal streaming service) and will be listening in a small room at low and medium volumes.

I'm keen to understand your thoughts on:

1) Is this a good investment of $4.2k?
2) Will there be a significant uplift in listening quality
3) The best way to sell my existing set-up to reduce the overall cost

Thanks so much

hi everybody, Ian new in this Audio world😁.

Nice questions.
I have a heos amp hs2 With jamo S803 and a jamo sub 200.
My room is about 45m2. Are the kef wireless 2 strong enough without the sub? Or should I connect the jamo sub 200?
thanx you all .

leemccann1

Sep 2, 2020
Visit site
Hi, I have the ls50 wireless 2. They sound amazing but witht the caveat that in my opinion you use the kef app(which Is really good) combined with a hi res platform, I use amazon HD and they sound great, I've used tidal also with mqa streams, again amazing. I've not used any dnla functionality as I just don't have a music library anymore. Using them with airplay/bluetooth in my opinion really degrades the sound and just don't do them justice. My only issue with them (in another post) is any upgrade potential. I do use a sub (ma silver) sometimes but I do think id rather have gone for the passive versions for an easier upgrade path. I can't say the internet connectivity is an issue as id only ever stream anyway so the same limitations apply. I can't see a price comparable equivalent using the passive ls50 meta, probably the speakers with the cambridge amp and streamer but this would be around £700 more. Go for it if you don't want to upgrade anytime soon.

Snellejelle

Apr 9, 2022
Visit site
Thanx leemccan1

I am a proud owner of the kef sl50 wireless 2.
WHAT A SOUND !!!
Love it. No sub on it. My 45m2 room is a perfect match. Easy to install.
I don’t want to upgrade ( for now) so it’s oké.

who has stands with it? I want some low profile coaster. Is That a possibility?

leemccann1

Sep 2, 2020
Visit site
Thanx leemccan1

WHAT A SOUND !!!

Thanx leemccan1

WHAT A SOUND !!!

I’ve had mine on stands that are about £50 from Amazon, I’ve also had them on a wide (3m) ikea unit. I usually use Blu tac to attach them to either the stands or the unit. I do think they sound better on stands and maybe that’s due to the fact they are further away from the back walls. To be honest I’m struggling with mine at the minute as at times they sound a lot better than other times and I think I’m fiddling about ok much with them in terms of the positions, the stands, and also the eq settings and the source (tidal, Amazon etc) I’ve used mine before wirelessly connected to the router and again I noticed they didn’t sound as good as they have done so I hard wired them and they did sound better. I know how good these speakers can sound but I can’t always now get the best sound I’ve heard from them, I know there is a lot
Of good feedback about the eq setting but I think I need to read up more on this aspect. Also I switch between using a sub and no sub but when I’m in the app I can’t really
Tell a difference when hanging the settings. I’m going to have a good long set up and listening session tomorrow so I’ll re post with my findings. Still have to really recommend them based on the sound I have heard and it’s probably my understanding and wrong tweaking making them sound worse than before but I do feel they are a little temperamental

Gonepostal

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
Thanx leemccan1

WHAT A SOUND !!!

Audio chic do some great looking stands. They are not cheap but buy once and but right.

danielgregori

Jul 13, 2021
Visit site
Hi guys, question to those who listen to Ls50w2 with a subwoofer. What is your sub? I choose between rel t-zero/t5/t7 and kef kube series 8/10/12, has anyone done a comparison between Kef and Rel?

leemccann1

Sep 2, 2020
Visit site
I use a Monitor Audio Silver sub - they sound good with the sub, im still of the opinion they are tempermental, they sound different each time I have a serious listen, and ive got an annoying skip at the start of a track when streaming the first time I play them, which stops after the first track but its still annoying. Im contemplating the KC62 sub but I might just go the other way and start a new system with all seperates, I heard some Spendor floor standers at the weekend with a naim 5si amp and they beat the kefs, that said it was a technics streamer, spendor A2 speakers (very small florr standers) and the naim amp, so all in about £5k+ but the sound was just more rich. I think the Kefs weak link way actually be the streamer/dac - i had a mess around also after hearing the spendors and for a laugh plugged in an old sony blu ray player (very basic old player) and used the 3.5mm input and played a CD through the player and compared the same track on Amazon HD and the blu ray player sounded significantly better...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts