KEF LS 50 and Arcam A49

Hi Q5

I've not heard them together however I will say the A49 is a top amp
thumbs_up.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

David@FrankHarvey said:
Regardless of the room, they'll still sound better with a better quality amplifier. That goes for any room, any speaker.

I quite agree.

However, utilised in the wrong situation they are going to sound rubbish and, with a better quality amp, slightly less rubbish.

Good though these speakers may be they are not going to suit all listening rooms (same can be said for all speakers).

Q5

Oct 2, 2015
Visit site
Purchased a Arcam A49 connected up the LS50's and really do work well together.

Clear precise voices and seperartion of instruments.

Early days, now just need to add a Linn Majik DS.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Q5 said:

I approve of where you're heading....well I suppose that goes without saying.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Q5 said:

?
I approve of where you're heading....well I suppose that goes without saying.

Should the a49 not deserve better speaker? Dont get me wrong i think the ls50s are great but that amps a beast. Atc scm19s perhaps?

Btw id love to listen to ls50s on my amp also though

nexski

Nov 13, 2015
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
Regardless of the room, they'll still sound better with a better quality amplifier. That goes for any room, any speaker.

Totally agree, likewise things won't go well with the reverse. Good quality speaker with low powered amp.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Should the a49 not deserve better speaker? Dont get me wrong i think the ls50s are great but that amps a beast. Atc scm19s perhaps?

Most people don't get to hear how stunning the LS50s can sound in a pretty expensive system, as they are usually matched with components in the same price range.

But ultimately you are right; though personally I think the SCM19s, though better, wouldn't be a big enough jump. I would wait until I could afford something like the Ref 1s.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Andrewjvt said:

Most people don't get to hear how stunning the LS50s can sound in a pretty expensive system, as they are usually matched with components in the same price range.

But ultimately you are right; though personally I think the SCM19s, though better, wouldn't be a big enough jump. I would wait until I could afford something like the Ref 1s.

All in good time. I'm a fan of getting the best amp one can afford and then building the system around that. I like the sound of some refs and a Linn streamer. The amp has laid the perfect foundation now

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
ID. said:
I'm a fan of getting the best amp one can afford and then building the system around that. I like the sound of some refs and a Linn streamer. The amp has laid the perfect foundation now  
Though not the most popular approach, I too like to build a system around a good amp...then the quality of the source has to keep pace with the rest of the system.

I think that the OP is approaching his system build in the right way, as the amp and speakers are good enough to show how good the Majik DS is....and the Amp/Source is good enough to get some future Ref 1s singing.....but.....the Ref 1s have enough headroom to continue to improve with any subsequent upgrades. Such is the nature of Hfi. *diablo*

Q5

Oct 2, 2015
Visit site
The Ref 1 speakers will be added at a later date but need a decent source now and the LS50's do sound good for now.

Q5

Oct 2, 2015
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Q5 said:
The Ref 1 speakers will be added at a later date but need a decent source now and the LS50's do sound good for now.
Have you heard the Ref 1s on the end of Linn DS/A49?

Not at this stage but it is on the planned route, I won't purchase without listening first.

I had heard the LS50's and the A49 before purchasing.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Q5 said:
CnoEvil said:
Q5 said:

Not at this stage but it is on the planned route, I won't purchase without listening first.

My advice...don't....until you are ready to change.....or they'll be in the boot of your car before you realise what's happening.

Also, don't listen the the Ref 3s, if it's the 1s you're after....and avoid the Blades at all costs (even the baby ones)!!!

Q5

Oct 2, 2015
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Q5 said:
CnoEvil said:
Q5 said:

My advice...don't....until you are ready to change.....or they'll be in the boot of your car before you realise what's happening.

Also, don't listen the the Ref 3s, if it's the 1s you're after....and avoid the Blades at all costs (even the baby ones)!!!

Ha ha ha, understand your point. I have some Spendor A3 speakers which I need to sell and not tried those on the A49. I liked them in my previous setup but do't want to feel dissapointed in them.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
ID. said:
CnoEvil said:
Andrewjvt said:

All in good time. I'm a fan of getting the best amp one can afford and then building the system around that. I like the sound of some refs and a Linn streamer. The amp has laid the perfect foundation now  

Thats what i have done also and agree that a great amp with good speakers much better than great speakers with good amp set up.

Either way thats going to sound stunning

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Andrewjvt said:

While i do agree and we both kef fans. I personally think the atc mid range driver technology is the best of any
Brand regardless of price and id love to do a blind test or demo both side by side. Refs v atc scm 50s and 100s. In looks the refs would win but on sound i wouldnt be sure

Q5

Oct 2, 2015
Visit site
Well CNO i have gone and done it.

Added a Linn Majik DS, just plugged it in a couple of hours ago.

Need to twiddle with it now.

Q5

Oct 2, 2015
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Let us know how it goes....it should sound brilliant!

Hi CNO,

Just realised I never came back after adding the DS.

It is an excellent sounding streamer and I am glad I purchased it instead of a CDP, the overall system is now sounding fantastic.

Also purchased a pair of Custom Design FS104 signature stands, which we discussed on a previous post.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Q5 said:
CnoEvil said:
Let us know how it goes....it should sound brilliant!

Hi CNO,

Just realised I never came back after adding the DS.

It is an excellent sounding streamer and I am glad I purchased it instead of a CDP, the overall system is now sounding fantastic.

Also purchased a pair of Custom Design FS104 signature stands, which we discussed on a previous post.
Thank you for getting back....success stories are always good to hear.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts