KEF KHT3005SE - Rebranded 3005 standard?

Qwalme

Nov 18, 2007
Visit site
I went along to my local home cinema dealer to audition the Onkyo 605 and KEF 3005SE's prior to purchasing them but the dealer was in a bit of a pickle.

They were under the impression that the SE's had a remodelled sub which had a Volume dial on it so it can be incorporated into existing speaker systems. They had a guy return one today because it didnt have this dial and when they opened a box on another one it was the same, no dial.

The box itself just has a 'SE' sticker at the end of the 3005, they are in gloss black with the correct centre, and they said they had only recently arrived. They checked with another dealer who also said that he believed the sub to have a volume dial.

As a result of this, they said that the SE's might be a rebranding of the original package and it would probably be worth getting those at ~£500 if I could live with the silver finish.

To your knowledge, should the sub have this volume dial? Could the first batch simply have the old model sub in them?

I'm unsure now what to do....

Anyone have any comments?

Cheers

Q

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
Both the sub and the satellites in the 3005SE package have indeed been modified over the original 3005 design, although I can't recall off-hand if the sub has a separate volume control. But the HTB2SE subwoofer has had tweaks to equalisation, circuit layout and filtering, resulting in even greater agility and speed compared to the original version.

The HT3001SE satellites and HTC3001SE centre have modified crossovers and a new 'crown-horn' optimiser over the tweeters to help smooth response and deliver greater sensitivity at high frequencies.

Andrew/Clare, if you're still online, do you know about the volume control?

Qwalme

Nov 18, 2007
Visit site
I forgot to add that I wrote the following down from the box:

HTB2SE

So the tweaks you mentioned should have been done to it. However, the shop assistants were not aware of those new features either.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Haven't examined the 3005SE closely, so couldn't offer an opinion on the sub having/not having a volume control. Maybe one of the reviewers who've actually used it could offer a definitive answer?

VoodooDoctor

Sep 23, 2007
Visit site
I have the 3005SE package. Though now you have put the cat amongst the pigeons as the model number on the sub sticker is HTB2. There was a SE on the box. It does not have a volume dial but it does have a "Bass Boost" switch that allows +6dB or +12dB.

A

Anonymous

Be careful of Superfi selling the old 3005 as they will give you a good price or a price that seems good until you realise it's not the SE model!

Qwalme

Nov 18, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="VoodooDoctor"]I have the 3005SE package. Though now you have put the cat amongst the pigeons as the model number on the sub sticker is HTB2. There was a SE on the box. It does not have a volume dial but it does have a "Bass Boost" switch that allows +6dB or +12dB.[/quote]

Where abouts on the sub is this located? I can point it out to them and see if thats what they were talking about.

Cheers

VoodooDoctor

Sep 23, 2007
Visit site
It's on the bottom where you plug the Line In. I've read on another forum that a few people have found the sticker on the bottom to be the same. Most of the changes were to the internal board, not the outside.

A

Anonymous

For those of you wanting the KEF package, I was in sevenoaks yesterday and they are seling the SE package for £899. This is the cheapest ive seen it so far and it was definately for the new version. The sale is apparnetly til the end of january.

Qwalme

Nov 18, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="leemal"]For those of you wanting the KEF package, I was in sevenoaks yesterday and they are seling the SE package for £899. This is the cheapest ive seen it so far and it was definately for the new version. The sale is apparnetly til the end of january.[/quote]

Ohh Cheers, has anyone seen it elsewhere cheaper?

On a different note entirely - Which of the following would you recommend in terms of performance for their prices, or would you go with somethign different entirely - All twinned with the Onkyo 605 btw.

KEF KHT2005.2 @ £399.99 or

KEF KHT3005 @ £550

thx

A

Anonymous

Nope Andrew, didn't happen to me and Superfi don't pretend it's the SE model. However they do harp on about the price being discounted from £1000 to £600, which is a bit cheeky as the product is no longer current, hence the discount is somewhat historic. That's all. No serious slur on Superfi, so if that's how it looked, then you're right to haul me up on it, more an observation that all is not always how it seems and a little careful checking goes a long way!

axman

Dec 31, 2007
Visit site
After reading the mag and lurking these forums, I visited a local dealer here in Switzerland and asked to see a 3005SE. They said no such "SE" thing. So proceeded to show me 3005. Then I persisted and insisted on the SE, so they checked their catalogue, called the suppliers (KEF Germany I think) and even looked up the KEF website and could not find anything that says SE. So they are convinced that there is no such thing as an SE and are selling the 3005 at the old price so I gave up.

This worries me - if I look up KEF's own website, there is no mention of SE (or I have not found it). Is there a quick way of determining if what I am looking at in he shop is the SE or non-SE model? This was a reputable dealer I went to and can't really blame them if all their catalogues, supplier and even KEF's own website does not show the SE.

Thanks, would appreciate a quick guide to recognizing the difference between SE and non-SE.

VoodooDoctor

Sep 23, 2007
Visit site
The easiest way is to take the front grille off the speakers and look for the funky plastic bit over the centre. Compare it to the pictures in the magazine. The originals didn't have it.

A

Anonymous

The confusion exists with the subwoofer due to an early review in one of the UK magazines which suggested the HTB2SE has a volume adjustment. This is incorrect although many dealers who read this first review have taken it as gospel and have failed to quantify the changes themselves. It's one of those good old honest mistakes.
The dealer in Switzerland claiming the SE does not exist may be unaware as so far, I believe, we have only released the SE in the UK and Ireland and will roll it out to the rest of the world in due course.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Cheers for the clarification, Alex - though if you could have a word about there being at least a slight mention of the SE model on the KEF website, it would be helpful!

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Clare Newsome"]
Cheers for the clarification, Alex - though if you could have a word about there being at least a slight mention of the SE model on the KEF website, it would be helpful!

[/quote]
Lol. Thanks for that gentle push Clare.

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
[quote user="VoodooDoctor"]The easiest way is to take the front grille off the speakers and look for the funky plastic bit over the centre. Compare it to the pictures in the magazine. The originals didn't have it.[/quote]

Correct. This is the new 'crown-horn' optimiser over the tweeters, which the original 3005 design didn't have, but the 3005SE system does.

FYI, the 'SE' version (and yes, it most certainly DOES exist!) also has a modified subwoofer, the HTB2SE, which has tweaks to the equalisation, circuit layout and filtering. And the satellite speakers are now called HTS3001SE, the centre HTC3001SE, and feature modified crossovers as well as the new optimiser.

A

Anonymous

I've just purchased a few days ago (yet to be delivered) a KHT3005 system in Hong Kong.

After reading this thread, I'm now a little worried I was sold the older model.

KEF need to fix their website to clearly distinguish between HTS/HTC 3001 and the newer SE model. They should also update their brochures. It is impossible for a customer to research this speaker set on their website and avoid being ripped off on the street.

I'll be putting in a phone call tomorrow morning and I suspect that the 'only authroised distributor' will confirm my suspicion. Depending on the response I get i'll either cancel or I suppose 'upgrade' my order. (Which will involve more money I'm sure)

I probably should mention that I didnt purchase this off some street vendor or local Chinese outfit. Its a big flashy showroom in one of the premier malls in HK.

A

Anonymous

Thanks I did miss that above. That being the case I'm in a pickle, there didn't seem to be a lot of overwhelming praise for the older model... any suggestions for other options.

I was sold the set for 750 pounds, with that discount would you keep them?

VoodooDoctor

Sep 23, 2007
Visit site
You can currently get the older model for around £500. I have heard the SE's are going for £850 in Sevenoaks' sale at the moment so no, I wouldn't keep them.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts