KEF iQ30, iQ50 and C3

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Please, please ignore the WHF review on these products. My dealer loves them and cannot understand the rating of WHF on these speakers. They are a vast improvement on the 'disco' balance speakers that B&W and Monitor are now doing to overcome the dead acoustics of the WHF listening rooms and will appeal to all those who believe that vocals, pianos and guitars are necessary musical instruments to reproduce correctly. If you don't believe me, audtion them in A/B comparison at a store (I find a lot of KEF dealers also stock MA and B&W) and see if you don't end up with the KEF, whose engineers still believe, apparently, in making speakers that reproduce accurately what is on the track.

A

Anonymous

Wow, you should start your own mag. I don't agree with your first review though.

Simon Lucas

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
Sonicaccuracyisall: the dead acoustics of the WHF listening rooms

You seem remarkably confident in your 'information'. You're not that bloke who was hanging around the car-park scaring my female colleagues and co-workers, are you?

A

Anonymous

AH! the all seeing one. I will take your advice and quickly discard it. What else do you have to sell me almighty one?

A

Anonymous

Hey it was only my 'opinion'. All I'm trying to say is listen and make up your own mind, with your own discs etc, not trying to start a magazine!

A

Anonymous

Nice answer, still doesn't change the 'padded cell' though does it?

A

Anonymous

Most of us do, and we will advise others when necessary. Your KEF/anti-WHF crusade is not necessary.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Sonicaccuracyisall:
Nice answer, still doesn't change the 'padded cell' though does it?

Right, since you are claiming inside knowledge I think it only fair you should declare its source.

You have posted a stack of times over the past 24 hours attacking the magazine - maybe you should make your interest clear?

John Duncan

Simon Lucas:

You seem remarkably confident in your 'information'. You're not that bloke who was hanging around the car-park scaring my female colleagues and co-workers, are you?

No that's me. But today's my day off.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
JohnDuncan:Simon Lucas:

No that's me. But today's my day off.

emotion-2.gif

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
We're not going to make a big thing out of this as the KEFs will still sell in A/B demonstrations against the main competition anyway, but we're also a little confused as to their 3 star rating.

I have demonstrated the old iQ9's against a similarly priced big brand equivalent, and the iQ9's just sounded far less muddled and boxy, and also sounded streets ahead when used with compressed music, creating a much more 3D soundstage than it's competitors. it was the opposite to what I expected, but the difference was plainly clear. Maybe there's something about the UniQ design that makes a better job of MP3's.

Anyway, anybody looking to audition speakers in the iQ series price point would be a fool to ignore them. A lot of the technology used has been filtered down from the Reference and XQ series, just as a few other big name manufacturers do, making for better products at specific price points.

Have a demo, compare, have fun :)

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Interesting as my dealer warned me off KEFs when I went for an audition earlier this year - I insisted on comparing them though and did find I preferred the B&W 685s (vs the IQ5s). Horses for courses really isn't it.
I'm interested to know though, does this mean Sonicaccuracyisall works at FrankHarveyHiFi? If so, how do you know what WHF's test rooms are like acoustically?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
professorhat:Interesting as my dealer warned me off KEFs when I went for an audition earlier this year - I insisted on comparing them though and did find I preferred the B&W 685s (vs the IQ5s). Horses for courses really isn't it. They're very different speakers. KEF's tend to have a leaner, tighter sound concentrating on the mid and upper frequencies, whereas the B&W's concentrate more on the frequency extremes, giving a warmer sound as it favours the midrange less. They're the complete opposite to Tannoy's old Revolution range in this respect. As you say, horses for courses.

Some dealers favour some brands over others for whatever reason. I know one dealer who won't even entertain the thought of B&W's in his store even though the rest of the stores in the company do keep them. he thinks they sound awful. I'm sure you'll find dealers who are the opposite. At the end of the day, listen for yourself in a fair demonstration and choose for yourself.

I'm interested to know though, does this mean Sonicaccuracyisall works at FrankHarveyHiFi? We are in no way associated with Sonicaccuracyisall. We aren't here to troll, we're here to help. As mentioned, we just wanted to make our feelings known about the KEF range.

A

Anonymous

Sonicaccuracyisall:Hey it was only my 'opinion'. All I'm trying to say is listen and make up your own mind, with your own discs etc, not trying to start a magazine!

wasnt eve YOUR opinion - it was your dealers (or so you claim). seriously, get over it. if you like the Kefs then great but dont force your opinions on others - no is forced to buy and WHF. everyone has the freedom of choice.

A

Anonymous

While I don't diagree with the use your own ears advice. The folks at What HiFi listen to kit every day and it's not just one set of ears either. So their opinion deserves respect. I will make a point of listening to the new KEF's at some point but I have to say I don't like them due to the big "foot" on the bottom.

TRENDING THREADS