Kef AV90 speaker package

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi All,

I'm embarking on my 1st AV set up and am very keen on the Kef AV90 package (IQ90 floorstanders, IQ60c Centre, IQ30 rears and the Kef Kube II sub).

I'll be listening to music and watching BR's (Panasonic TX42V10 and '80BR player already at home).

Has anyone else got at least the 90 floor standers?

I'm listening to both the Yamaha 1065 AV receiver and the Denon 2310 (lots of posts about those two here!) to drive the Kefs. My only question regarding those two is I know the Denon has a higher output, well, at least on the Trusted reviews site it does (135W), as it is rated the same 105W as the Yamaha here.

Would this drive the fronts and sub more efficiently, thereby creating a better sound?

Many thanks for all comments,
emotion-2.gif

PennyPincher

A

Anonymous

? The 50 is a lower level speaker with lower limits (and not what I am getting).

My questions don't relate to different speakers, just the driving ability of the two amps...

Thanks all the same though.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
The choice between the iQ50/iQ70/iQ90 may boil down to your room, and which one suits better. Yes, their abilities will differ, but if you're using a sub, there won't be much to gain from the iQ90 over the iQ70 if they're being set to small and the sub taking over the lower frequencies.

Unless you need the power output of the iQ90's, I'd look at the iQ70 package (or even iQ50), and put the extra to a better amplifier. The 1065 will drive these packages fine, but larger speakers tend to need more controlling than smaller ones. Pick any speaker, try an amp with them that sounds ok, then try an amp which you may think is overkill - speakers just get better and better.

The sub will drive itself, so has no bearing on the AV amp's abilities. If you can, a 2065 or a 3900 will get much more out of these speakers.

A

Anonymous

Hi David,

The room is 26ft x 16ft and I will be listening to music also (without the sub) and I intend to bi-amp the front speakers.

Does this change anything?

The Denon 2310 has 105W or 135W? Presumably if it has the latter, it will be a better match for the 90's?

Cheers,

PP.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Yes, a bigger speaker would be needed for a room like that. Audition a few. As mentioned, some people prefer the balance provided by the iQ50 over thit's more expensive bigger brothers, but this is personal taste. Try a few other similarly priced alternatives too from the likes of Monitor Audio in the shape of their RX series.

The power rating of an amplifier is only a rough guide. Chances are you'll not hear much difference with an extra 10wpc or so, although some amplifiers may come across as a little more gutsy than others, but this is due to their current output rather than their power rating.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts