KEF 5005.2w Wireless problem - buzzing from speakers

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have a problem with my Kef 5005.2w wireless system which I purchased in February this year. The Kef wireless system is the bespoke version specifically for the Kef 5005.2 speaker system, and not there generic version.

When the Kef transmitter is turned on and my amp is off then there is a very noticable buzzing from each of the speakers that are attached to the Kef recievers (rear left and rear right in my case). When I power on the amp the buzzing disappears. However I wish to keep the transmitter on when the reciever is off but don't want the buzzing......

I am using an Onkyo SR605 amp to power the speakers. I have found that if I unplug the cable that runs from the Kef wirless transmitter to the Onkyo amp (a 3.5mm jack that goes into the transmitter and a 4 cable loom that goes to the speaker terminals) then the noise disappears. Therefore I am ruling out interfence from the power socket to the Kef wirless system.

The power cables from both the Kef transmitter and the Onkyo amp are plugged into a Belkin surgemaster gold 7 power protector to cut out any spikes from the mains.

Does anyone know what would causes the buzzing and if there is a way to stop it. Any ideas on curring this issue will be greatfully received

D.

John Duncan

[quote user="dgmottram"]I have found that if I unplug the cable that runs from the Kef wirless transmitter to the Onkyo amp (a 3.5mm jack that goes into the transmitter and a 4 cable loom that goes to the speaker terminals) then the noise disappears. Therefore I am ruling out interfence from the power socket to the Kef wirless system.[/quote]

BIt stuck here, could be anything - grounding problems seem most likely - turning the amp off could be the equivalent of grabbing the end of the 3.5mm jack, which will buzz like hell. Do the KEFs have a ground wire in the plug?

A

Anonymous

Sounds like an earth issue. My suggestion would be to email KEF service department and see if they can replicate it. (I know they have the amp you are using in the office). Alex.

A

Anonymous

I emailed Kef and their response was :-

Dear Sir
How is the transmitter connected to your AV receiver? If the transmitter is connected via a line level connection then the buzzing should stop.

Best Regards
Support Department
KEF AUDIO (UK)

A

Anonymous

My reply was:-

Dear Team,

I am unsure what you mean by "a line level connection". I am using the cable that comes with the wireless system for the 5005.2 wireless system (the system where the wireless recievers are built into the shape of the stands

The cable at one end has a 3.5mm jack and a flat looking connection ( this goes into the transmitter), at the other end there are 4 wires which are connected to my amp with the bare wire in to the speaker connection and the terminal screwed tight.

I am NOT using the cable the has a 3.5mm jack at one end and 2 phono connections at the other end

Kind regards

Dave

A

Anonymous

Had the following from Kef support:

Dear Sir,

The 3.5 jack to twin phono connector is used to connect a stereo device, such as a CD player direct to the transmitter.

Using some phono connectors on the wiring loom and connecting the transmitter to a line level output from the AV receiver to the transmitter, should stop any buzzing.
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...nector&doy=2m4

We can take the unit back in for testing and repair. If the unit is returned to the retailer it was bought from then they can send it into us.

Best Regards
Support Department
KEF AUDIO (UK)

A

Anonymous

Now I am totally confused......

Why are they suggesting putting phono connectors on the Wiring loom and connecting it to a l;ine level output on my Onkyo SR605 amp. The speakers are apart of a 5.1 system and therefore would need to be connected to the speaker terminals so that the amp directs the relevant sound channels to the speakers.

Have I read their email wrong? I also don't really want to have to send the transmitters back for testing unless its the last resort (as that would mean would have no rear speakers whilst the transmitters are away).

Comments anyone ?

A

Anonymous

Hi,

I have the same problem. Did you ever resolve the issue and if so how did you do it?

My buzzing only happens when sub cable to amp is connected. If sub amp cable or cable from amp to Keff transmitter is disconnected then buzzing goes off. Doesn't seem to matter if amp on or off/plug removed from socket or not. Seem trasmitter cable is picking up a hum from the sub cable.

Appreciate any feedback.

ATB

A

Anonymous

Have not gotten anywhere with it yet as I have beee on holiday for a couple of weeks, and been working away from home.

I have not tried unplugging my sub yet ... will try that to see if the buzzing stops aswell. If thats the case then it looks like it may be a amp issue rather than a speaker issue......

If anyone else has had the same issue and has resolved it then please let me at Barnstormer know as it is very fustrating.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts