KEF 3005SE

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I purchased the KEF 3005SE's back in Nov on the back of What Hifi's review and they are great. My question is can banana plugs be used to plug the cables into the back of these speakers ?

Cheers

Richard

A

Anonymous

I Don't see why not, although I don't see any reason why you would have to either? I have just purchased a set myself and attaching the leads to the speakers has been fine without any plugs. It's the other end I'm having trouble!!!

I've got and Onkyo TX-SR 875 and QED Silver Anniversary XT cable. Due to the hollow 'X-Tube' technology, the cable just seems to bunch-up when I try to insert it into the terminal on the amp. Not sure if there are any connectors that would sort this snag out?

Hope this helped.

A

Anonymous

You can get the 3005SEs to take banana plugs unless you're using the stands (in which case the QED anniverary £5 wire was tough enough to slide through).

Rob

A

Anonymous

I heard if you have them wall mounted there's not enough space behind - they butt against the wall. same as 2005.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="EvertonMonkey"]can banana plugs be used to plug the cables into the back of these speakers ?[/quote]

I have just had a look at the instructions, and right at the back of the manual it says that 'under no circumstances are banana plugs to be used on these speakers in EU countries' I've no idea why this may be but there you go!

A

Anonymous

[quote user="VoodooDoctor"]It's due to EU regulations.[/quote]

Don't you just love em!

I've been looking at the QED banana plugs, and the airlock ones require some kind of special connection to wire. Do you think the QED Screwlock ones would be ok for Silver Aniversary XT speaker cable? If so do you know whether or not it is simply a case of screwing them on? Need I buy the expensive QED ones, ie is there a difference in quality/performance?

Ta!

A

Anonymous

Hi Voodoo,

I did check the manual, but there does not seem to be anything to connect them to, just a solid cap that is unscrewed to so you can insert the cable. I will double check the manuals tonight and see if I am missing something.

Thanks for all the replies.

A

Anonymous

Dude, the black bit on the screw-tight terminal comes off and then you can insert the banana plug into the back of the terminal. To be honest though the screw terminal on the back of the speakers is fine, up to you though. I have mine on the dedicated stands and they seem to work fine just by the screw terminals.

A

Anonymous

cheers mate, maybe I just cant get the buggers off, they seem to be sealed. I will have another go.

VoodooDoctor

Sep 23, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="marshal478"]
[quote user="VoodooDoctor"]It's due to EU regulations.[/quote]

Don't you just love em!

I've been looking at the QED banana plugs, and the airlock ones require some kind of special connection to wire. Do you think the QED Screwlock ones would be ok for Silver Aniversary XT speaker cable? If so do you know whether or not it is simply a case of screwing them on? Need I buy the expensive QED ones, ie is there a difference in quality/performance?

Ta!

[/quote]

My speaker wire is QED Silver Anniversary XT so yes it does work with the Screwlocs and yes, you do just screw them on.

A

Anonymous

I've got XT Anniversary too and just use normal chunky gold plated bananas, works okay for me. I can't see why you'd need them specially terminated unless it's to spend more money at QED!

R

A

Anonymous

[quote user="hifi_nut"]I've got XT Anniversary too and just use normal chunky gold plated bananas, works okay for me. I can't see why you'd need them specially terminated unless it's to spend more money at QED!

R[/quote]

Where do you get those from then? And secondly are they easy to attach? I'm not much good with a soldering iron (Don't even own one!) and not sure what the plastic tube inside the XT would thing about soldering?

Cheers

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="VoodooDoctor"]It's due to EU regulations. Amplifiers come with bungs on their terminals for the same reason.[/quote]

It's because 4mm banana plugs fit neatly into the round holes on European mains sockets.

N'essayez pas ceci … la maison, des enfants...

A

Anonymous

I've had another look and cant get the little black bit off the end of the screw in bit for the speaker cable, I've tried pushing out with a srewdrive from the other side.

Any ideas ?

A

Anonymous

Is this true that the KEF 3005 SE's butt against the wall when wall mounted?

This helps me because I am at the stage where I am running speaker cable inside the wall and I am not sure how much cable to leave hanging from the wall in order to connect to the speakers and the thing is I haven't got ample amounts of cable.

Please let me know thank you

PJ1200

Jan 4, 2008
Visit site
I have my SE's on the wall with the wire through the wall cavity and out at the respective points. I would pull enough through for about 6-8 inches. Then place the speaker against the wall, pull through the cable, see how much you need to cut off and make a mark on the cable.
Cut it, then attach speaker, pull through wire and attach to binding posts.
I did note that my wire was too thick to pull through the rather messily hole on the speaker, so had to strip one wire (ie the negative part of the cable)and have that bare in order to pull both through. A bit unconventional, and you have to be careful the wires do not touch, but works fine.
Hope that helps.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts