KEF 3005SE Speakers - Wiring Problem

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Having recently purchased the KEF speakers and some Carnival Silverscreen speaker wire, I now have a dilemma. The front speakers are mounted on dedicated KEF speaker stands but I did not realise that the speaker cable is too thick to pass through the conduit within the stand! As I want to hide the cable, I guess I have two options - 1) strip back the insulation and pass the two wires up through the stand (not sure if this would impair sound quality), or 2) buy alternative cable that would fit.

I would appreciate any advice on how to proceed!

Many thanks

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
The point of SilverScreen is sort of in the screening, which would be lost if you stripped it off, and would affect the performance. Isn't it possible for you to take the cable back to the dealer and exchange it for something more suitable? Chord Co Campana installation cable should work well with those speakers, and will fit into the cable conduits.

A

Anonymous

Thank you Andrew - I thought this would be the case. My biggest problem is that I reside in Switzerland and I buy my AV equipment on my trips back to the UK, which are not that frequent. Just to be clear, would stripping back the screening (just for the length that it is in the stand) make a discernable deterioration in the sound quality? If it would, I'll just have to with plan B!

Much appreciate your guidance.

Sc00bied00

Sep 3, 2007
Visit site
I understand you want to hide the cable, however is there no option of buying a cable sheathing of a colour similar to the stands to 'dress' the cable? some velcro down the stand would keep it inline and close to the stand. only a sugestion and thought..

Is there no option of using some washing up liquid to help slide the cable up the stand if it's a tight fit. I have done this on occaision with old steel conduit in houses to get more than one cable through. - sc00bie

A

Anonymous

not sure which speaker stands you refer to, but the speaker wire must be exeptionaly thick to not go up the conduit, if its just the whole to feed the wire thru i suggest re-drilling the feed whole to get it thru.ÿ

Hope u sort itÿ

A

Anonymous

Thank you. The stands are bespoke KEF, specifically for the 3005's. As they are very slim, the conduit is narrow so redrilling the aperture or using washing liquid is not going to solve the problem. Appreciate all the advice, but it looks like I'll have to invest in some new (smaller) cable for the front pair.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts