Kef 2005.2 subwoofer replacement

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
My PSW 2010 subwoofer seems to have "given up the ghost" by buzzing very loudly at me. After a quick review of the usual forums it seems this is a common failure mode linked to the usage of the auto function on the subwoofer. KEF has confirmed that the auto function is a mute function to remove any audible hum when not in use and not a standby that every other owner and I thought. Therefore the amplifier has been powered up for over 4-years and has now died. Some information from KEF in any of their documentation would have helped and meant my subwoofer would be still working.

My problem is now:

KEF want to charge me £120 to fix the amp unit.

So do I dismantle my sub and post the amp unit to KEF for a replacement at £120 or do I buy a new subwoofer........

Mordaunt-Short MS309i
or

Wharfedale Diamond SW150
or

MJ Acoustics Pro 50 MkII

are options.

My system is:

Pioneer AX3/Pioneer 668 so would like to know what sub would work best with the KEF sats and the pioneer amp.

All advice gratefully recieved

A

Anonymous

The mordant short 309i is a well regarded sub

And you should consider one of these

http://www.bkelec.com/HiFi/Sub_Woofers/XLS200-DFandFF.htm
Both great value

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the advice. Have been having an email battle with KEF and they are not budging on the replacement cost so am sorely tempted to by a new make of sub. So will have a look at the mordant.

Thanks

A

Anonymous

I have the same problem with mine. This is obviously a common problem. In fact, my sub woofer has gone wrong before but fortunately it was under warranty.

I am going to return it to Audio-T to see if they will sponsor my case to KEF!

TRENDING THREADS