Kef 2005.2 eggs vs. Q Acoustics 1010 5.1 ??

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Following a disappointing review in this month's What Hifi of the Mordaunt Short Alumnis I'd been eyeing up, I've decided my choices are narrowed down to the Kef 2005.2 package which seems to be very highly reviewed, and the Q Acoustics 1010 5.1 package, which seems to have been equally well received.

What I'm not sure about is whether 5 stars for the Q Acoustics 'traditional' speaker package would result in better sound quality than the 5 stars given to the Kef's 2005.2 package, given that these are classed as 'style' speakers.

Or am I reading too much into the categories?

I'm not after 'style' as such - the eggs are pretty and that's a bonus, but if the Q Acoustics are better all round speakers, then they're the ones I'm going for.

The reason I'm leaning towards the Q Acoustics is due to the fact they're what I'd call 'real' speakers (albeit dinky ones), and so will be fine for occasional music playback as well (the reviews seem to back this up). I've not heard that much about the Kef's music performance.

So - looking for info, advice, reasoned opinion?

Just noticed the Wharfedale Diamond 9 HCP package... seems about £150 cheaper than either of the above, but also seems to be highly rated. Presumably that's due to their lower pricepoint rather than them being able to compete directly with the likes of the Kef eggs and the Q acoustics package?

Thanks

Lh

A

Anonymous

Come on peeps. Someone out there must have some experience of these speakers?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="louisv6"]
Following a disappointing review in this month's What Hifi of the Mordaunt Short Alumnis I'd been eyeing up, I've decided my choices are narrowed down to the Kef 2005.2 package which seems to be very highly reviewed, and the Q Acoustics 1010 5.1 package, which seems to have been equally well received.

What I'm not sure about is whether 5 stars for the Q Acoustics 'traditional' speaker package would result in better sound quality than the 5 stars given to the Kef's 2005.2 package, given that these are classed as 'style' speakers.

Or am I reading too much into the categories?

I'm not after 'style' as such - the eggs are pretty and that's a bonus, but if the Q Acoustics are better all round speakers, then they're the ones I'm going for.

The reason I'm leaning towards the Q Acoustics is due to the fact they're what I'd call 'real' speakers (albeit dinky ones), and so will be fine for occasional music playback as well (the reviews seem to back this up). I've not heard that much about the Kef's music performance.
Just noticed the Wharfedale Diamond 9 HCP package... seems about £150 cheaper than either of the above, but also seems to be highly rated. Presumably that's due to their lower pricepoint rather than them being able to compete directly with the likes of the Kef eggs and the Q acoustics package?

[/quote]

Sorry for the lack of reply - Awards has eaten our life!

And no, you're not reading too much into the categories. The reason we split traditional and style speaker packages into two classes is that they typically offer a different price/performance propostion.

Good traditional speaker packages - like the Q Acoustics 1010 5.1 (NB - look out for the 1010i upgrade, due in shops any day and tested in our Awards issue, out 18th October) - offer more for the money than their more stylish counterparts, especially when it comes to music replay.

However, we recognise that not everyone wants/is allowed square wooden boxes dotted all over their living room, so style speaker packages need to be judged on their own merits.

So, back to your original question, the Qs will outperform the KEF 2005.2s.

As for the Wharfedales - these were narrowly beaten by the Qs last year, and have a particularly good subwoofer, but i'd still say the Qs (don't forget those new ones!) are worth the extra.

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
There's a brand-new Q Acoustics 1010i package due out shortly that we'll be testing in the Awards issue of What Hi-Fi? Sound and Vision (on sale Oct 18), so you might well want to wait and find out how that performs before making your final choice.

A

Anonymous

Thanks guys... wasn't expecting a reply from the editors!

Sounds like the Q Acoustics are overtaking the eggs then... How narrowly did they beat the Wharfedales out of interest?

Only the Wharfedales can be had for as low as £350 now, so that's £150 saving...

I've a feeling I'd go for the Qs anyway though...

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
I'll quote from the original review (October 2006):

"Compared to the Q Acoustics set-up, the Wharfedale package sounds smaller and less room-filling: voices are less expressive and so dialogue isn't as clear, while movie scores lacks the same sense of sweeping, dramatic expression. The same's true when playing CDs."

"However... the Wharfedale SW150 subwoofer is.. significantly better than the Q Acoustics 1000s.. The Q Acoustics can't match it for sheer slam"

Interestingly, the subwoofer is one of the main changes Q has made to the new 1010i package....

A

Anonymous

It sounds like I could save some dough by going for the Wharfedale sub, and the Q Acoustics 1010 speakers?

They're all available separately, but would I be messing with the integration of the whole system?

I notice you recommended to someone else that they try the wharfedale sub with the kef eggs, so presumably such an approach is acceptable?

Thanks for the help.

L

A

Anonymous

I was in exactly the same boat as you a few weeks ago. I was intrigued by the Alumnis and think they looked great, I was planning on waiting for the reviews before I decided whether to go for them or not. However the £500 was burning a massive hole in my pocket and I couldn't wait, on hearing what you say I'm glad I didn't!

I was torn between the Q's and the KEF 3005s (a little more expensive I know) and decided on the Q's. I wanted a setup primarilly for movies but also for listening (occasionally) to music. Having read the reviews etc I decided they were ideal for me. I got (what I think) is a pretty good deal from "Roy Jowett" (online), it consisted of the std 5.1 package but with the front L&R upgraded to the 1020s plus a load of speaker cable, a decent sub cable and 4 wall brackets for £545.

The 1010s are nice and small but the 1020s are a little bigger, when wall mounted they stand about 300mm off the wall, but if you can accommodate them I'd definately recommend the upgrade. I read a few reviews on the Wharfdales as well, that package has a 150w sub rather than the Q's 100w sub. The Q sub has plenty of power (for me). The level on mine is set to about 1/3 and sounds just right.

They sound great with both music and films, plenty of power and the sound is full of depth and detail. I'm very happy with them and I think they look pretty good too.

Don't get me wrong I don't know nearly as much about acoustics, setups etc as most of the people on this forum but my ears seem to like them and that's what counts.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
If you're going to mix and match any element of a surround speaker package, the sub's the thing.

Oddly enough, we tried the Wharfedale sub (our current best buy at the price) with the Q satellites, and it beefed the whole system up a treat. I didn't recommend it because not every shop wants to offer the sats and sub separately (at least not at the lower, package price), and it could be difficult for you to audition the system.

Why not try and hear that combo vs the new 1010i package?

A

Anonymous

Clare,

Certainly listening to the combo vs. the new 1010i package would be desirable, but I struggle to find anywhere who can accommodate such a request round here.

Richer Sounds no longer have a listening area, and seem far less happy to offer demonstrations than they used to, and Sevenoaks' sneery attitude towards customers who are spending less than £3 million on their setup really gets my back up. Not to mention the fact they don't seem to stock anything 'budget'.

Any suggestions?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="dan_993"]
Don't get me wrong I don't know nearly as much about acoustics, setups etc as most of the people on this forum but my ears seem to like them and that's what counts.

[/quote]

It does indeed - your own ears always beat any other opinion or recommendation!

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="louisv6"]
Clare,

Certainly listening to the combo vs. the new 1010i package would be desirable, but I struggle to find anywhere who can accommodate such a request round here.

Richer Sounds no longer have a listening area, and seem far less happy to offer demonstrations than they used to, and Sevenoaks' sneery attitude towards customers who are spending less than £3 million on their setup really gets my back up. Not to mention the fact they don't seem to stock anything 'budget'.

Any suggestions?

[/quote]

You could try cross-referencing Q's 'Where to buy' list here,

with Wharfedale's stockist list here.

I would do it for you, but a) i don't know where you're based and b) if I don't get back to proofing pages none of you will get an Awards issue to read!

A

Anonymous

Looks like it's Sevenoaks then.

I'll have to pay them a visit tomorrow and wear my best suit so they let me in the door.

Thanks for all the help.

L

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts