Keep iTunes Media Folder Organized

harveymt

Jul 17, 2008
Visit site
Are there pros and cons to ticking this box in iTunes?

I had my music spread over a couple of computers until recently and I've finally got it all on one. I've organized it as Music/Artist/Album. On one computer I have the Keep Folder Organized option ticked and iTunes has changed the folder structure for a number of albums, I think based on the ID tags. This usually results in albums ending up in the Compilations folder.

It doesn't matter when using iTunes where the files are stored but I spent a bit of time organising and naming them how I wanted and would like to keep them that way. If I leave the box unckecked will it matter?

visionary

Apr 4, 2008
Visit site
my experience of that is that letting iTunes do it meant I ended up with lots of folders extra for e.g. Elton John featuring Kiki Dee. The track involved gets its own folder courtesy of iTunes. As you say, not a problem if iTunes is the only program you use to access the tracks...

Not sure if it would recover if you untick the box. Never been brave enough to try

cram

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
If you uncheck the box just stop Itunes organising from that point on. Everything still stays in the same place. I have the box ticked when importing music but I uncheck it when importing movies because I like to keep them on a different NAS share

TRENDING THREADS