Kandy LIII + Arcam CD93 + Neat Motive 2 speakers

gbhsi1

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
Hi it's me again,

Are the above a mis-match of components? I have been reading the latest threads regarding system mis-match, could this be the reason why my system is flawed?

A

Anonymous

I would get rid of the Arcam CD93 and replace it with a Rega Apollo. I used to own a Kandy LIII + Rega Apollo + EPOS M22's and the speakers were my weakest link - tried the Neat Motive 2's, as recommended by the good folks at PJ Hi-Fi and the results were startling.

I demoed an Arcam CD192 with the same set-up and it did not quite give me the same satisfaction. Stick with a Rega Apollo and you will be a happy man!

My cables then were Chord Chameleon Silver Plus interconnects and Chord Rumour 4 speaker cables.

A

Anonymous

I demo'd a pair neats with my Kandy K2, and I found the sound a little harsh and the base a bit boomy. If you are not happy with the sound you need to change the speakers. Forget cables, source etc, go to your local dealer and borrow some speakers. There is nothing wrong with the amp, change the speakers, change the sound.

SHAXOS

Feb 11, 2008
Visit site
Maybe the speakers and amp are not a good match. I had the neats and absolutely loved them. So obviously id say keep them. But, if the sound is too harsh for YOU - change the speakers or the amp as messing about with the source wont imo make that much of a difference.

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
i would also doubt the Neats are at fault here and if it were me i would be looking at the Kandy to replace with a better amplifier - i think this could yield an excellent system

i found the Kandy a little bright on the demo i did and others recently posting seem to agree

A

Anonymous

The Arcam CD player is fine, so are the Neats, i'd swap the Roksan for a Sonneteer Alabaster, or an LFD and then you'll be able to forget about amps upgrades for a very long time.

A

Anonymous

Actually the other guys are right, it would be cheaper to change the amp as you probably like the fact that the neats are small, and they are good speakers.

gbhsi1

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
So I see the consensus is that I change the amplifier- any further recommendations because I would not want to get it wrong again!!!!

gbhsi1

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
Hmmm...so it looks like the cd could be the issue then?? I think I am more confused now! cd or amp??? which one should go...???

ear

Aug 24, 2008
Visit site
I guess kandy is the more detailed...there are smother amps.harman hk980(maybe to smooth) on the other cheaper end...A209r or A307r pioneer are very smooth sounding and high curent amps.these sound much better than many other expensive amps I've heard.

A

Anonymous

As I said in the last post, I believe it to be a function of the speakers and amp. You need to find the right combo that gives you the sound you like (in the room you have). Why not hang on to the speakers and see if you can demo them with a Quad 909/99. Very natural, smooth and glorious midrange. Nothing bright or harsh with them. Just one idea for many good potential moves.

A

Anonymous

gbhsi1:So I see the consensus is that I change the amplifier- any further recommendations because I would not want to get it wrong again!!!!

This would be a mistake, and one that you will regret bitterly.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
EvilWolf:
gbhsi1:So I see the consensus is that I change the amplifier- any further recommendations because I would not want to get it wrong again!!!!

But the CD93 is not responsible for the bright, harsh sound. Not ever.

ÿ

A

Anonymous

JoelSim:EvilWolf:

But the CD93 is not responsible for the bright, harsh sound. Not ever.

I never said it was. To me, the sound was lumpy and unexciting. Pretty dull really.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I think you need to exploit some system 'synergy' and start thinking about a one brand system.

So find a Roksan Kandy CD player or try an Arcam amp.

Or... listen to the Neat's with a Rega Brio 3 + Rega Apollo (not very expensive once you have sold the Kandy and the Arcam) or 'push the boat out' and get a Naim Nait 5i/CD5i which should (by all accounts) be a great match for your Neat Motive 2's.

Mixing and matching amps and CD players from different makers can be great fun, trying out all those different combinations and endless possibilities.

And look where it gets you
emotion-6.gif

(One brand systems look better too. Yes I am that shallow
emotion-1.gif
)

Kevin Stephens

Apr 16, 2009
Visit site
igglebert:Why not hang on to the speakers and see if you can demo them with a Quad 909/99. Very natural, smooth and glorious midrange. Nothing bright or harsh with them. Just one idea for many good potential moves.

I'm in danger of sounding like a stuck outdated analogue storage media, but if you get a chance also compare with Musical Fidelity 3.5 or 5.5 - being discontinued but some great deals out there if you are quick, does the above a lot better than Quad 99/99 and a lot cheaper than the 99/909

A

Anonymous

I too believe that you should try focusing on a system synergy, and perhaps either replace the arcam cd player with the Roksan Mk.III, or in retrospect an Arcam FMJ A32 to match the Arcam cd player. I have had a few matching systems including my current one and could not be any happier.

I do not believe the Neat speakers to be the weak link, just be carefull when attempting to match, they will not like a bright sounding amp. On paper your system is impressive, it is a shame it does not quite get there.

Best of luck matching
emotion-21.gif

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
i will put a vote in for the Arcam FMJ A32 if you can still find one at the cheaper offers or maybe 2nd hand - should work lovely with the CD player and the Neat Motives

i too prefer the synergy of one brand and yes like Chebby the overall look is important - i am just as shallow

A

Anonymous

I have owned an FMJ a32, and also think it would be a better match than the Kandy

gbhsi1

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
I appreciate all your views. I kinda like the look of the rega apollo! might sell my cd93 and go for the rega. Not sure how much I should be selling the arcam for??? any ideas?

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
Chebby and scotth have both made a valid point regarding one brand systems. They work together !!. If i was you i would try to get hold of a roksan cdp or/and an arcam amp (on demo) and try em out first. Otherwise you could find yourself up the creek paddle less if you dont like the rega. Its going to cost you nowt in the first instance innit
emotion-2.gif

gbhsi1

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
not lost- just exploring my options here. My first reply said that the rega apollo went well with the roksan & neat motive's?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts