KAB Fluid damper……snake oil??

Wylor

Nov 17, 2023
Visit site
Hi folks ….. just wondered if anyone had any experience of the KAB fluid damper (esp. in relation to Technics TTS). Is it snake oil? Your thoughts and comments please.

Hi folks ….. just wondered if anyone had any experience of the KAB fluid damper (esp. in relation to Technics TTS). Is it snake oil? Your thoughts and comments please.
Never had experience with the KAB version but Townshend have used the system for years with their Rock turntable although the dampener is at the cartridge end of the tonearm, which makes more sense to me.....

Methinks serpens oleum!

Done a little research and, many seem to think it makes things worse, by causing unwanted resistance to normal tonearm movement, resulting in tracking errors and distortion.
Yes, as I said it appears they have put it at the wrong end of the tonearm.
I cannot remember any issues noted with the Townshend device only that it has to be pivoted out of the way when changing the LP

Reactions: Wylor

Wylor

Nov 17, 2023
Visit site
Methinks serpens oleum!

Done a little research and, many seem to think it makes things worse, by causing unwanted resistance to normal tonearm movement, resulting in tracking errors and distortion.
Hi Friesiansam,

Thank you for your input and have been wondering about the possibilities of the effects that you have mentioned but of all of the references that I have been able to find thus far, none have mentioned this.
I believe that there are several “high end” tone arms out here that incorporate fluid damping (pivot end) as standard, I wonder how they overcome the effects that you have highlighted?

TRENDING THREADS