Just Wondering: How Big Is A Medium Room? [For HiFi Enthusiasts, Anyway]

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
As I am now ready to audition a number of speakers [thanks for everyones input] - I was wondering about room size, particularly that might be labled a medium sized room. My listening space is approximately 6m x 7m, so what size room do I have?

fayeanddavid

May 27, 2009
Visit site
rizzolved said:
As I am now ready to audition a number of speakers [thanks for everyones input] - I was wondering about room size, particularly that might be labled a medium sized room. My listening space is approximately 6m x 7m, so what size room do I have?

To make it less easy for you...................

I would say your room is on the larger side of medium :-D

Seriously, our room is 5.5 x 4.5 and I call that large medium so yours could be large

But why do you need to know, most speakers will suit most rooms unless you are delving into the exotic and esoteric where you may need to worry about room size, construction, sound proofing etc etc

Just don't put tiddy tiny small style speakers in there, they will get lost.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I would say that would be considered a large room. Ceiling height also comes into it (mine are 11 ft), as well as wall and floor construction.

A

Anonymous

It also depends on your intended listening distance and positioning of speakers.

ie, are you using the entire space for your listening area?

Andrew17321

Nov 12, 2008
Visit site
In the review of the Yamaha RX-A3010 on page 23 of the November edition of the magazine it says, “You'll need a big listening room.” I was curious as to what would be considered big by the reviewer.

I moved my music system from a room 7m x 5m, height over 3 m (with old style walls, floor and ceiling) to a room 5m x 5m, height 2.3 m in a modern house (with flimsier walls, floor and ceiling). The difference was quite noticeable: there was a loss of clarity.

Like Cno, I think the height of the ceiling is an important factor, maybe the most important as far as muddling echos are concerned. Personally I find I hear the cleanest sound when I sit on the floor, with sofas to my side and back about 2.5 m from my speakers (Spendor 5e's).

A

Anonymous

Current System: Arcam Alpha 7se, Yamaha DSP-A5 Amp, Tannoy Mercury M3 Speakers, Pioneer DVD Player, Mission Front and Rear Speakers.

Many thanks for the feedback, chaps. The reason I asked was simply that ‘room size’ seems to appear in most speaker reviews without mentioning any specific sizes. As mentioned in my previous post, I am upgrading my outdated system and after seeking the forums advice, I am, starting with the speakers listed below.

Q Acoustics 2050s

Acoustic Energy Neo V2 Three

Monitor Audio's Bronze BX5s

Tannoy Mercury V4

Tannoy Mercury F4 Custom

I you have any further recommendations; please do feel free to point me in that direction. Thank you.

Hi rizzolved,

I'd agree that it is getting on for 'large' in the UK. Quite a few living rooms are 6m to 7m long, but are often much narrower. That presents a problem (even assuming all the walls are usable, which often they aren't because of french doors or fireplaces) as to whether you listen across or along. Each has pros and cons.

I think the best room I ever had was a long lounge-diner, where I listened in the roughly square area of the lounge, but was able to have the speakers well out from the front wall, and plenty of air behind me (the dining area).

The ceiling height also affect the volume, both of the room (in cubic metres), and the system, in terms of maximum loudness.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Andrew17321 said:
In the review of the Yamaha RX-A3010 on page 23 of the November edition of the magazine it says, “You'll need a big listening room.” I was curious as to what would be considered big by the reviewer.

I moved my music system from a room 7m x 5m, height over 3 m (with old style walls, floor and ceiling) to a room 5m x 5m, height 2.3 m in a modern house (with flimsier walls, floor and ceiling). The difference was quite noticeable: there was a loss of clarity.

Like Cno, I think the height of the ceiling is an important factor, maybe the most important as far as muddling echos are concerned. Personally I find I hear the cleanest sound when I sit on the floor, with sofas to my side and back about 2.5 m from my speakers (Spendor 5e's).

Andrew

I'm no acoustic engineer, but I think a square room provides the biggest challange (acoustically).

My room is fairly similar to the one you moved from (complete with lath and plaster, as well as stone walls). The suspended wooden floor posed the biggest obstacle (re the bass).

TRENDING THREADS