Just replaced CRT with LCD and really dissapointed...

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi there,

I was hoping to get some opinion and advice. I replaced my old 32" CRT Sony Trinitron with a Sony KDL37W5710 (same as W5500) at the wekeend and am really dissapointed with the SD picture through my Sky+ box. I did loads of research and expected the new TV to have a good picture but it falls well short of the CRT. Am I expecting too much? And is there an LCD that is as good as a CRT on SD pictures?

I haven't tried the HD pitcure yet as don't have an HD DVD player or Sky HD. Am reluctant to get Sky HD as not sure it will offer enough to justify the extra cost.

Any advice would be most appreciated as I am thinking of sending it back.

Thanks!

mikegtar

Jun 16, 2008
Visit site
I have a Ferguson crt 4:3 33" tv set which is now 15 years old and still going strong, touch wood. I've been unimpressed with the picture quality on the flat screen tellys in the shops until I saw the HD demos. I agree with you that the SD picture quality on flat screen tv's, especially LCD sets, is not as good as with CRT so I would want my next tv to work with some form of HD broadcast. Hopefully there's still a few years in the old ferguson yet though :)

A

Anonymous

Do yourself a favour get yourself HD TV transmission (through SAT, cabel ) , hook up Blue-ray player and then see what the fuss is all about. Otherwise you compare apples and oranges. For me even SD channels look way better on LCD then on my old Sony CRT.

mikegtar

Jun 16, 2008
Visit site
The freeview/freesat HD recording boxes seem to be around £200+ anyway and as you're already used to the Sky service my advice to you would be to upgrade to sky hd.

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
I hated LCD at first after my WEGA packed up a few years ago; black levels and contrast just couldn't compare (probably still don't, either).

It didn't take too long, though, for my brain to adjust and settle down to the new format and to be honest I've now forgotten what CRT looks like.

I believe that PQ is as much down to the original broadcast (camera's used, production values etc.), and I find some BBC Freeview broadcasts simply stunning (Dr Who, wildlife docs for example.) Take your point entirely, though.

A

Anonymous

hi send it back i had a terrible experience with the sd picture from an Amstrad HD box it was shocking get your self a Freesat Pvr box or the Freeview HD box

landzw

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
I also know what you mean , CRT manages SD very well and yes i have still seen even now better quality CRT pictures than some of the older LCD screens

But like whats been pointed out HD is a better picture and sound , mind you it comes at an added cost

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
squeasycheesy:
Hi there,

I was hoping to get some opinion and advice. I replaced my old 32" CRT Sony Trinitron with a Sony KDL37W5710 (same as W5500) at the wekeend and am really dissapointed with the SD picture through my Sky+ box.

The sonys are known to look awful with SD content for the 1st few weeks (My 46W550 did)

Give it 3 weeks of 'running in' then decide if you dont like it (It will make a hell of a difference I assure you)

Also make sure its set correctly

Best settings to start with are to use the CINEMA mode

FILM MODE2 for all SD content

MOTIONFLOW OFF

All the extra processing off (live colour etc)

Set brightness and contrast using a test disc or similar

Sharpness to 3

Gamma to 0

Colour that looks natural

WARM 2 temperature

A

Anonymous

I am not trying to stir up a hornets nest, but i really recommend Plasma over LCD, black levels are stunning and the contrast is so much better.

A

Anonymous

Hi there,

Thanks to you all for the information - its been really useful and helped explain the problems I'm having. I had calibrated the set as per the settings on the Hdtv Test website and the picture was ok but wasn't as good as I'd hoped. I now understand that the signal for SD is 576 and the new TV is 1080p and therefore is making up for the difference between the lines.

I've since done a little more reading and think that I will take the leap with SkyHD! Apparently the Sky HD boxes improves the SD picture slightly. I'm also wanting to get a Blu Ray home cinema kit but that is another thread and a bit more research!!

Thanks again.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
squeasycheesy:
Hi there,

Thanks to you all for the information - its been really useful and helped explain the problems I'm having. I had calibrated the set as per the settings on the Hdtv Test website and the picture was ok but wasn't as good as I'd hoped. I now understand that the signal for SD is 576 and the new TV is 1080p and therefore is making up for the difference between the lines.

I've since done a little more reading and think that I will take the leap with SkyHD! Apparently the Sky HD boxes improves the SD picture slightly. I'm also wanting to get a Blu Ray home cinema kit but that is another thread and a bit more research!!

Thanks again.

Seriously, the new LCDs are made with hdmi and HD in mind. Using scart to connect a Sky+ box will never give you the peformance the tv can offer. Hdmi from Sony to Sky HD box will give you a completely different viewpoint. HD pictures will blow you away and most channels that we watch offer the same channel in HD - ITV1 is soon to be on board, BBC HD does not copy the content of BBC1 but there are still some great shows on it. C4, Movie channels, Sport channels, all give you HD.

A

Anonymous

Oh, sky plus isn't via an hdmi cable?

V plus looks miles better than it did on just SD

A

Anonymous

Stick with it!!! I felt the same initially when I got rid of my old panasonic crt (11 years service), BUT your LCD will really come to the fore when you go HD via a decent HDMI cable. I've got a Philips 32inch 9604 and sony 760 bluray and they've been worth every penny! Picture is much more immersive on LCD than CRT. I was really worried about motion blur but touch wood this hasn't even been an issue, especially in HD. Bluray and decent HD content via Sky looks GREAT, I have recently got Sky+HD upgrading from an ordinary Sky box of 8 years service and I have to say it's a great product if somewhat pricey!! Recording and being able to watch sport and movies in HD is a real pleasure!

Hope things improve for you!!

unfocused

Jun 21, 2009
Visit site
I bought a KDL37W5500 just before Christmas, and like you I was somewhat dissapointed on the picture quality 'out of the box'. It does take some time to settle and burn in, and the default picture settings are terrible! You need to get them changed ASAP! Even though I am only watching on Freeview the picture quality I'm getting now is fine.

A

Anonymous

Get the v plus box
emotion-2.gif

Okay you won't get as many hd channels, but it does allow you to watch everything with an hdmi cable and that looks miles better, plus v plus is cheaper.

You will be amazed at the different the hdmi makes, and mine was 1.50!

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
hi fi newbie:

I am not trying to stir up a hornets nest, but i really recommend Plasma over LCD, black levels are stunning and the contrast is so much better.

Sonys LCDs have been measured to beat the vast majority of plasmas for black levels (And apart from the Kuros, the others only just beat the LCDs)

The higher end sonys have WAY higher contrast

I really think your a little missinformed

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
squeasycheesy:
Hi there,

Thanks again.

From what ive heard its a bit of a coin flip ~ some people have hated their SD channels via sky HD boxes and say their SKY+ boxes were far better. Really seems to depend on the box

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
unfocused:I bought a KDL37W5500 just before Christmas, and like you I was somewhat dissapointed on the picture quality 'out of the box'. It does take some time to settle and burn in, and the default picture settings are terrible! You need to get them changed ASAP! Even though I am only watching on Freeview the picture quality I'm getting now is fine.

Thank you

Someone whos posted whos actually in the know about the tv

A

Anonymous

My dad has got an old 28" Sony Trinitron crt tv and when I was round his house the other day watching it I thought that the picture qualty was nowhere near as good as the one on my 42" Philips set ... and that includes sd broadcasts.

To be honest I am not a fan of Sony tv's and think that they are over rated. I have a 32" lcd Sony set in my bedroom (which recieved a 5 star review from WHF) and the sd quality is terrible in my opinion and is nowhere as good as my older 42" Philips set - which is very good.

So maybe the problem lies with your Sony tv and not with lcd?

robjcooper

Sep 29, 2008
Visit site
aliEnRIK:hi fi newbie:

Sonys LCDs have been measured to beat the vast majority of plasmas for black levels (And apart from the Kuros, the others only just beat the LCDs)

With respect AR, contrast ratios are one of the most misunderstood and misused measurements in the world of domestic TV - the bigger the number the easier it makes it for the salesperson to make a sale - I would take all contrast ratio numbers with a large bag of salt.

This article from the US makes interesting reading:

http://www.practical-home-theater-guide.com/contrast-ratio.html

"Statistics are no substitute for judgement" - Henry Clay

Rob

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
aliEnRIK:unfocused:I bought a KDL37W5500 just before Christmas, and like you I was somewhat dissapointed on the picture quality 'out of the box'. It does take some time to settle and burn in, and the default picture settings are terrible! You need to get them changed ASAP! Even though I am only watching on Freeview the picture quality I'm getting now is fine.
Thank you

How does a screen with no phosphors "burn in"?

A

Anonymous

Top end Philips TVs cannot be beaten for sd and hd picture quality. The new LED ones even better offering black levels similar to a Plasma.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
robjcooper:aliEnRIK:hi fi newbie:

With respect AR, contrast ratios are one of the most misunderstood and misused measurements in the world of domestic TV - the bigger the number the easier it makes it for the salesperson to make a sale - I would take all contrast ratio numbers with a large bag of salt.

This article from the US makes interesting reading:

http://www.practical-home-theater-guide.com/contrast-ratio.html

"Statistics are no substitute for judgement" - Henry Clay

Rob

and with respect back......., I have a sensor to measure contrast. So whilst theres no actual consistant measurements between manufactureres BS figures, I can still compare them using the one meter

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
the_lhc:aliEnRIK:unfocused:I bought a KDL37W5500 just before Christmas, and like you I was somewhat dissapointed on the picture quality 'out of the box'. It does take some time to settle and burn in, and the default picture settings are terrible! You need to get them changed ASAP! Even though I am only watching on Freeview the picture quality I'm getting now is fine.
Thank you

How does a screen with no phosphors "burn in"?

Is actually a fine question that I too would love an answer to

I really have no clue, but rest assured the first dvd I put on looked absolutely AWFUL

3 weeks later it was sharp as a knife (Using the same settings)

Clearly 'something' is running/bedding in.........
emotion-42.gif

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
andyb1984:
My dad has got an old 28" Sony Trinitron crt tv and when I was round his house the other day watching it I thought that the picture qualty was nowhere near as good as the one on my 42" Philips set ... and that includes sd broadcasts.

To be honest I am not a fan of Sony tv's and think that they are over rated. I have a 32" lcd Sony set in my bedroom (which recieved a 5 star review from WHF) and the sd quality is terrible in my opinion and is nowhere as good as my older 42" Philips set - which is very good.

So maybe the problem lies with your Sony tv and not with lcd?

Which model?

TRENDING THREADS