Just replaced CRT with LCD and really dissapointed...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

Let me clarify, from the many LCD's I have seen, the black levels were not as impressive as the Panny's, notably the PZ series, and likewise neither was the contrast levels. I didn't measure it, I just viewed them, viewed lots in fact and came away with that impression.

manuelcabral

Jan 16, 2010
Visit site
Don't get worried with your SD signal. Analog signal was made for CRTs, that's why it is so bad on LCDs. Many SD channels are already using hidef recording and the difference is brutal. You have got a fine set, The W series is equipped with very good specs. Use a good box that converts analog signals to digital. Enjoy a good watching.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
manuelcabral:Don't get worried with your SD signal. Analog signal was made for CRTs, that's why it is so bad on LCDs. Many SD channels are already using hidef recording and the difference is brutal. You have got a fine set, The W series is equipped with very good specs. Use a good box that converts analog signals to digital. Enjoy a good watching.

I agree wholeheartedly.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
hi fi newbie:Let me clarify, from the many LCD's I have seen, the black levels were not as impressive as the Panny's, notably the PZ series, and likewise neither was the contrast levels. I didn't measure it, I just viewed them, viewed lots in fact and came away with that impression.

With a comment like that id assume you saw them in a s tore where they certainly WOULDNT be calibrated or set up correctly?

A

Anonymous

well i had a samsung 46b650 for a week and it had great blacks , better than any non led lcd , but while watching dark scenes in movies there was not the same level of shadow detail that i have on my g10 plasma , which has deeper blacks , although not much deeper ..

rymidd

Feb 24, 2010
Visit site
all lcds tv have poor picture out of the box give a 4 weeks or so it will improve less harsh and smoother colours. its the back light give a harsh light when new.

crt is not perfect after using an lcd for a while and go back to crt you notice the screen flicker

A

Anonymous

hi did you notice that in dark grey and black scenes it is not handling motion very well ?

i have le40b650 and mine is terrible in those scenes leaving blurr after moving objects

A

Anonymous

Yeah, in store, not calibrated but then again I was making a comparison with the plasma's which also weren't calibrated. I can only express my feelings on my experiences and so far, the plasma's definitely have the edge (from what my eyes have seen)

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
hi fi newbie:Yeah, in store, not calibrated but then again I was making a comparison with the plasma's which also weren't calibrated. I can only express my feelings on my experiences and so far, the plasma's definitely have the edge (from what my eyes have seen)

"(from what my eyes have seen)" ~ "in store"

A

Anonymous

Let me asure you - you have good eyes :)

Altough most of Lcd buyers and users have some compreensive dificulty to agree and acknoledge - we are talking about 2 diferent technologies and lcds with some expections (talking about higher priced , maybe 3000 ? up ) cannot acomplish plasma performances...

that is the truth ... for instance just one small exemple but udge diference between its the response time .. yes ..thats the diference you see on moving images and action , and theres the big diference that is notice to everyone .. even the less sensible to technology like some wifes ..

A

Anonymous

I know I'm a bit late posting on here but.........

For most people the biggest change is going from a CRT to any type of flatscreen. In my case, I went from a 32" CRT to a 42" plasma. I found the difference in SD broadcasts startling. And not in a good way. The thing is, it didn't matter what the source of the Freeview signal was. Neither Sky-sourced nor TV decoder made any difference. What I pretty quickly realised was that a) the Freeview signal was actually pretty rubbish to start with (which I didn't realise when I had CRT TV), and b) watching the same signal on a TV that was actually 40% bigger was bound to look "worse".

Having said that, I agree that you get used to it. However, I do maintain that watching SD broadcasts on plasma is slightly more forgiving than on any LCD. Freeview actually looks better on my 42" Pana plasma than on my 26" JVC Lcd!! What does that tell you? Thankfully my (kitchen) JVC is far enough away that I won't ever be watching it for the "viewing experience". Also motion has until recently been much better handled on CRT than either plasma or LCD. Plasma is better per se, but both technologies are now decnt enough for it not to be an issue as long as you keep off 50Hz LCDs of course.

The other point is, Sky HD is just the best!!! As more HD content becomes available over the air these TVs will exhibit exactly why you bought one in the first place. I have been watching rugby in HD for so long now that I actually can't stand watching it unless it's in HD!! Also if you watch a programme that was filmed in HD and then downgraded for transmission over SD the quality is still very good compared to normal SD programming. Two examples of this are Dragon's Den and Jonathan Ross. HD is arriving and will eventually overtake SD.

BUT, whatever any salesman will tell you, SD will ALWAYS look better on a CRT because they are matched to each other. End of.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts