Just ordered some new speaker cable

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
lordmortlock:JoelSim:Well I managed to get 4m pair, 3m pair and a 6m pair of QED for £280 inclusive, so I'm reasonably chuffed.The Bay?

Nope, all new. A bit of haggling to see who would give the best deal. Robert from hificablesandaccessories.co.uk was the best deal and also good service so far, prompt, friendly etc so he got the business. From an already cheapest price for the Chords, I've ended up with 12m of terminated QED SA XT with airlocks for £56.

ÿ

lordmortlock

May 21, 2008
Visit site
JoelSim:
lordmortlock:JoelSim:Well I managed to get 4m pair, 3m pair and a 6m pair of QED for £280 inclusive, so I'm reasonably chuffed.The Bay?

Nope, all new. A bit of haggling to see who would give the best deal. Robert from hificablesandaccessories.co.uk was the best deal and also good service so far, prompt, friendly etc so he got the business. From an already cheapest price for the Chords, I've ended up with 12m of terminated QED SA XT with airlocks for £56.

ÿ

Nice one Joel. I'm about to dive into the potentially murky pool of speaker cable... running thick copper at the mo. Interested in the difference it'll make (posts and ducks)

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
lordmortlock:JoelSim:

ÿ

Nice one Joel. I'm about to dive into the potentially murky pool of speaker cable... running thick copper at the mo. Interested in the difference it'll make (posts and ducks)

I have thick copper on my ProAcs and it's dull. When I tried them with the QED they were altogether more lively, more detail, better soundstage, more involving etc

ÿ

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
One thing I will say, the cheapest cost/metre isn't the cheapest after termination so shop around. I was quoted anything from £15 for four airlocks to £6 per plug. And on 16 plugs...

The Chord odyssey isn't costing too much more than the QED in total cost even though it's 3 x the price per metre.

ÿ

A

Anonymous

Seem like a ridculous amount to spend on cables/mains leads etc (system wide). For that kind of money IMO, better gains would be made by upgrading the amplifer or speakers.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Bert Puttocks:Seem like a ridculous amount to spend on cables/mains leads etc (system wide). For that kind of money IMO, better gains would be made by upgrading the amplifer or speakers.

What kind of amp or speaker upgrade would I get for an outlay like that?

Really.ÿ

idc

Something I was told recently was that for all types of cable the best will have lots of thin strands which are braided and most inportant is the termination of the cable i.e. how well the cable connects with the termination and how secure the termination is in its socket. The longer the cable the more important this is, so speaker cables, which tend to have the longest runs particularly benefit from braiding and good termination.

A

Anonymous

Depends on the total cost off all your cables (from previous posts it would seem to be quite alot)?

In my experience cables don't make nearly as much difference as an amp or speaker upgrade, maybe you just have much better hearing than most.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
What I was getting at Mr Puttocks, is what kind of amp upgrade could I get for £200 or so, given I have about £1,700s worth at RRP already? Realistically I would need to spend a good sum to get better.

Furthermore I really enjoy the sound, and to my mind cables and other things help to refine the sound, no more than that really.

Finally, the new cables will serve an upgrade or two so I will have them for 5 years. Based on listening every other day (more than that actually) that will cost me about 25p per day minus the sell-on cost, so realistically 10p per day. Or 2p per hour. To me that's good value.

Whereas my TV will last 5 years at about an hour a day. Which is about 50p per hour, minus sell-on, 30p per hour.

One Starbucks a day will cost £2.

Tell me what's better value.

ÿ

ÿ

ÿ

A

Anonymous

Well said Joel. I've often used that coffee/hifi costing argument with my partner
emotion-5.gif
She agrees actually so I need to give up coffee. Hmmm.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts