Just my opinion BUT......

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

kitkat

Jun 18, 2007
Visit site
With respect Liz you had a Philips crt which at best are very average, the Panasonic Quintrix SR was in a league of its own, one of the best if not the best crt ever made with a detailed flicker free breathtaker picture from any rgb sd source.[quote user="Scotsgirl"]Altough I am having a problem with clouding, I can honestly say that the picture (and sound) quality on my Panasonic 32LXD700 is much, much better than on my 28" CRT and it was really good.

I was afraid of taking the plunge into buying an LCD TV as I read of so many people saying it wasn't nearly as good as CRT.
I am so glad I did now as often, on a good quality transmission, the picture quality is breathtaking.
[/quote]

A

Anonymous

I quite understand Colin.

To my eyes the picture on my Philips CRT was excellent but obviously your Panasonic CRT sounds a lot better so I can understand your reluctance to part with it. Here's hoping it will serve you well for good while longer.

A

Anonymous

Having both the Panasonic crt quintrix sr and their lcd lxd700 tv I think I am in a good position to comment on this quite emotive subject and I am affaid I have to agree with Colin my lxd700 is indeed a very good tv but when you compare it to my old crt quintrix sr well its a poor second sorry but its true my old tv has a picture to die for pin sharp, amazing detail almost the same as hd but with just sd pictures the lxd700 is a good picture but the old tv is a fantastic breath taking master piece.
emotion-21.gif

A

Anonymous

Totally agree with you Kit Kat, CRT is the best at SD by a significant margin, that of course is only my oppinion, unless of course bigger = best, and space saving = best. Ive spent 2 weeks with the fabled 42" pioneer Kuro, and it aint all that with SD,,ive tried all the different set ups and it's a sorry state of affairs if thats the best a manufacturer of flatscreens can come up with.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="crocguy"]
Having both the Panasonic crt quintrix sr and their lcd lxd700 tv I think I am in a good position to comment on this quite emotive subject and I am affaid I have to agree with Colin my lxd700 is indeed a very good tv but when you compare it to my old crt quintrix sr well its a poor second sorry but its true my old tv has a picture to die for pin sharp, amazing detail almost the same as hd but with just sd pictures the lxd700 is a good picture but the old tv is a fantastic breath taking master piece.
emotion-21.gif

[/quote]

The Panasonic Quintrix CRT must be an amazing Tv as the SD pictures on my LXD700 are extremely sharp and detailed with amazing colours. It does actually look better though through my Humax PVR using an RGB Scart than the TV's inbuilt tuner.

The problem with a 32" CRT is it must be huuuuuuuggggggggeee and so heavy to move! Nearly gave myself a hernia shifting my 28"!!!

billsmith1of8

Nov 18, 2007
Visit site
Just watched David Attenborough's Life in Cold Blood on my five year old CRT Toshiba 36zp18q.100hz WOW!!! what a picture.

Was thinking of going down the lcd or plasma road and spending a lot of money, but maybe not until I need to

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Clare Newsome"]
[quote user="al7478"]I'll shut up about the whfs&v thing now, except to say i think showing a dvd on a telly is a poor way to demo it. A good way to demo it would be with the appropriate kit, well calibrated, with a standard def normal tv show. [/quote]

Which is precisely what was done - both for this Reader Rescue and of course for every test we do. It's just far easier to demonstrate the 'before and after' effect of kit with a movie someone has watched a lot of times than it is to judge whether Cash in the Attic or somesuch is better or worse.

Though of course standard Freeview TV tests - like checking what the scrolling news bar on the news channels looks like (smooth or jagged movement) and checking colours and digital noise on the lower bit-rate channels are also a necessity. And you'll notice mentions of them cropping up in our test copy regularly.

But when we do Rescues, the readers always want to know how their favourite discs are going to look and sound...
[/quote]

Thanks for the reply. Now, i may be misunderstanding, but you seem to be implying that the "after" effects of the kit can be shown with a dvd or with an sd broadcast. But surely an sd broadcast wont look as good as a dvd (it didnt for the brief time i owned a panny lcd last year - my rem live dvd was great!), so it cant be a fair comparison...? I dont mean to be confrontational here - im genuinely confused, as i realise i may have read you wrongly...? I must admit, after my exchanges with proffessorhat and yourself, and after seeing yet another lcd (Sony KDL32S3000 i think - using the same leads n stuff they had before) in action with terrestrial and freeview signals, my views are mellowing, but i still think theyll be inferior in standard def until theres much more (AFFORDABLE) hd broadcasts. In short, i now think the good ones are nowhere near as bad with SD as some (myself til recently included) say.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="billsmith1of8"]Just watched David Attenborough's Life in Cold Blood on my five year old CRT Toshiba 36zp18q.100hz WOW!!! [/quote]

Not broadcast in HD, which is a major scandal. And don't get me (or Clare) started on the fact that Ashes to Ashes is in SD, too.

Mind you, watched the Daytona 500 live last night on Sky Sports HD2, and it looked fab.

A

Anonymous

I have a 12 year old Panasonic 28" 4:3 crt. Sometimes the picture is amazing and others awful. I have always just put it down to "atmospheric interference" or some other reason. Reading this forum and particularly this thread I find I am far more critical than I used to be. I have an analogue aerial and a Sky box and there is no doubt the digital fed pictures are much better but sometimes they leave a lot to be desired. At a friends house who has a Panasonic 42" Plasma P60 something fed from an aerial and using the freeview built into the set he flicked through a lot of channels and I have to say I was very impressed. I have only seen sets of this size in stores and they look a bit artificial to me, as though everything was a cartoon animation, especialy LCDs. I am intending to buy a Panasonic plasma and this demo convinced me that it is a good way to go.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts