Just landed a Technics 1200

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
For once fleabay has delivered on its promise. Managed to land a very good 1200 and what I think is a good price of 140 squids. The guy has just delivered it to me from over the river and everything seems spot on. I wasnt prepared to buy at a distance due to damage in transit etc. Everything is all in place including the 45 adapter. Now...I am considering swapping the arm for my RB301. Nothing wrong with the original as far as I can see but I am hoping the 301 will lift it a little. Adapters are available on the 'bay so its not like its going to be difficult to source parts, not like my old ERA which I couldnt even get a proper belt for. Whats your thoughts on replacing the arm....is it going to be a worthwhile upgrade or is the 301 on par with the stock arm.

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
No contest. stick the rega on it. Noticed that you couldnt get a passport to cross the river, so got matey out of his comfort zone eh.
emotion-4.gif

A

Anonymous

I only live 2 or 3 miles away but he had to use his satnav to find me. Saying that though, he was a really nice guy judging by the short chat that we had. Seeing as I dont have 4 wheels it was really good that he delivered it, only charged me £2 and that included the ferry ticket.. I offered him some more cash but he refused. Nice bloke.

So, the rega it is then....Theres a plate coming up next week on the bay so my bid is in and then its tweaky time.....can hardly wait.

Oh before I forget can anyone recommend a suitable oil for the bearing. Theres nothing wrong with it just like to clean it out and re oil while its in bits doing the arm.

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
J7( johnnie) at audio origami has some good stuff, he sells a kit, i recommend it. Btw stick an AT-OC9 II /III on it and listen to it sing like a canary.

A

Anonymous

I'll admit upfront that I've had no experience of it, but people have told me Rega arms don't work well on Techies. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts when it's fitted.

A

Anonymous

matthewpiano:Another forum member joins the Technics club. Nice!!

Only the best......

A

Anonymous

Simon OW:I'll admit upfront that I've had no experience of it, but people have told me Rega arms don't work well on Techies. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts when it's fitted.

Mmmm.....thats one for and one against at the moment. Simon, are you able to expand on your comments. I would be interested to hear more details.

Matthewpiano, do you have any thoughts on this?

matthewpiano

The stock arm seems to be better than people often give it credit for and I've experienced far less issues with it than with some others. However, I'm sure there can only be benefits to upgrading the arm. I've been investigating a future arm upgrade and Jelco arms seem to be the most common choice.

Having said that, the Rega is a very good arm and I'm quite sure that it would represent a step forward from using the stock fitment. Given that the adaptor plate isn't going to be ridiculously expensive, I'd say it has to be worth a try.

A

Anonymous

MP...thanks for your comments

FBSF..keep us informed

Streamer..thanks for the link, thats another +1

A

Anonymous

Will this be better than my project debut turntable? I have a mate who has about 6 of these turntables, I read it is a good record spinner apart from the arm and cartridge? I did own a few as I used to DJ before I got hitched!

A

Anonymous

thx bud, will ring my mate tonight and get 1 off him, he said he had 6 last time we spoke!

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
Simon OW:I'll admit upfront that I've had no experience of it, but people have told me Rega arms don't work well on Techies. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts when it's fitted.

Are they deaf !! Lol
emotion-4.gif

A

Anonymous

Mounting plate ordered and should be here Monday.....I am still getting conflicting opinions on suitability but I will go with it. General opinions seem to that I wont notice much difference using the Goldring 2100 that I have but It will come into its own with a cart upgrade to a MC type. Not enough funds for that at the mo but at least the base will be in place for when and if that happens.

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
The original arm is somewhat resonant raym. As i posted earlier,and funds permiting,nail a coil on the rega. Also, floyd spends rayms moolah now, stick a mat on it to take some of the 'ding' out of the platter ( maybe try to ponce a few for comparisons ). Then at a later date sort the feet / isolation out cos they are c**p and thats it job done ,unless you want to go stupid, personaly i wouldnt bother mind.

A

Anonymous

floyd droid:The original arm is somewhat resonant raym. As i posted earlier,and funds permiting,nail a coil on the rega. Also, floyd spends rayms moolah now, stick a mat on it to take some of the 'ding' out of the platter ( maybe try to ponce a few for comparisons ). Then at a later date sort the feet / isolation out cos they are c**p and thats it job done ,unless you want to go stupid, personaly i wouldnt bother mind.

Innit great to be able to spend someone elses dosh..
emotion-2.gif
. Thanks for the suggestions FD...all taken on board. I dont want to go OTT on this like fitting new PSU's etc etc. I will stick with the obvious such as you suggest and leave it there. That'll be more than enough I think

A

Anonymous

Nice one dude, origin live is the best arm to go with this turntable, funds permitting of course, you can tweak this deck to death, I have a 1210 Mk 5 on the way.

T

the record spot

Yep, dump the platter mat, replace with Funk Firm Achromat (or whatever it's called), stick the Rega on, a good cart, get rid of the existing feet as suggested and you'll have a deck that's cost you less than £400, will take on all-comers up to at least £1000 and has better than most to that price.

£140? Brilliant deal.

A

Anonymous

Mounting plate and arm is in...plate didnt arrive as quickly as expected but it is a good quality plate and went in without issues. Arm lined up spot on and the VTA is right on the button. Now.....just got to spend some time listening...will report back in a couple of days.

EDIT...seems my cueing arm is a little low, can anyone offer advice on how to raise it a little. Instructions say refer to dealer......
emotion-12.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts