Just got a Fatman iTube Carbon

A

Anonymous

oh here are the specs...

iTube:

Power Output: 25Wx2
Frequency Response: 20Hz - 20KHz (ñ1.5Db)
Harmonic Distortion: =0.5%
Signal-To-Noise Ratio: =86Db
Input Impedance: 100KO
Output Impedance: 4O, 8O

RS6

Sensitivity (db/w/m)

Impedance (ohms)

Max power handling (watts)

Biwirable
Yes

Finishes

Dimensions (hwd, cm)
85x19x25

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Should be OK with 91db efficiency.

I used to run the 15 watt Fatman iTube into a pair of BR1's without any problem.

I assume your Carbon version is the same (valve input stage with Mosfet power amp). 25 watts will do the job.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
IMO i wouldnt be using the RS6's with the Fatman.

I'd be looking at a decent set of standmount speakers (M/A BR2's or the B&W 685's) along with a good decent set of solid stands.

I dont think the Fatman will provide the power that the RS6's need to really make them sing.

A

Anonymous

gosh.. okay.. my room isn't that big.. so i hope it wouldn't be that bad.. guess the speakers will give me reasons to upgrade later... :p

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
To be honest; if youre room isnt that big then the RS6's would definitly be too much.

Theyre powerful speakers and do deserve good amps and a good source to power them :)

I deffo think standmounts would be the way to go (IMO; i'd be stumping for the M/A BR2's as theyre easier to drive than the B&W 685s)

A

Anonymous

roger that.. will pop by the showroom and see what's there to decide on..

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I would be surprised if that pairing makes nice music. IMO the Monitor Audio's bass is already badly controlled and can easily boom if not controlled well. The midrange is also 'veiled' to use a kind word.

Consider also trying Rega's R3 as well as Kef's older iQ7 or the SE version. All available at large discounts. All sensitive enough to produce decent levels with the FMiTube and they have clear, incisive midrange, better treble and tight fast bass, just what you need with low power valve amplifiers though the Fatman does'nt actually fall into that category as it has SS output stage.

Save yourself cash and get better sound.

matthewpiano

I completely agree with the other posts here. The RS6 will be absolute overkill with the Fatman and you'll probably listen to less music because of the sound its likely to make. Trust me, I've made that sort of mistake in the past and its not good!

The advice being given here is excellent. Follow it by arranging some demonstrations of quality standmounters with your Fatman. Get it right and you'll really enjoy your system and still have speakers that can get better and better as you upgrade your electronics.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Indeed but I did'nt say the MA's would'nt be sensitive enough rather my dislike for the range as a whole, which I have heard/used extensively with a large variety of equipment, mostly ending in the same result. Having said that, I was somewhat taken by some RS8's with MF Xray/XT100/Power supply (pardon if I got the model #'s wrong). That was about the only time when I thought some synergy was there with any of the speakers in the range but the bass was still ... well... pants. Sorry to anyone that ownes MA silver's, just my opinion.

I have however heard the iTube with some Rega's and it was truly impressive.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
drummerman:I have however heard the iTube with some Rega's and it was truly impressive.

I was thinking just the other day.. "wouldn't it be fun if Fatman made a nice pure 'class A' 25+ watt power amp to play with between the pre-out on my Solo-Mini and my R3s." *

*Just the EL34 valve based output stage from the Fatman 252.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Yes, I think its those quality paper cones amongst other things. Just seems to suit valves. I took a guess on the Kef's but their basic tonality leads me to believe they are certainly worth trying with tube amplifiers even though the mid/bass drivers (iQ7) is, I believe, some hybrid material.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
chebby:drummerman:Yes, I think its those quality paper cones amongst other things.

And the minimal (almost non-existent) crossover.

Of course and the nice finish does'nt hurt either. I am wondering though how much better they would be with a rear port rather than at the front ...

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Rear port? Yikes!

Their complete lack of any 'sweet spot' and un-fussiness about positioning with respect to walls is partly due to the front port. (And partly due to side facing bass drivers.)

Oh, here is that R3 crossover (that I borrowed off the internet)...

crossover.jpg

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Yeah I know but I find the port noise and internal reflections clearly audible through the port. It makes certain instruments boxy and clearly coming from the inside of the speaker. One small blip in an otherwise lovely speaker. Love that 'xover', gives minimalism a new meaning.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
drummerman:Yeah I know but I find the port noise and internal reflections clearly audible through the port. It makes certain instruments boxy and clearly coming from the inside of the speaker. One small blip in an otherwise lovely speaker. Love that 'xover', gives minimalism a new meaning.

Try rolled up socks or (better and more 'scientific') a big handful of drinking straws!

I have never experienced this problem.

A

Anonymous

chebby:...or (better and more 'scientific') a big handful of drinking straws!

Russ Andrew's pencil has just hit paper...

batonwielder

May 13, 2008
Visit site
As far as I know, there's no way to tell by looking at the specs alone. MA RS6 or the similarly configured speakers seem to prefer more power than one might think.

That being said, the output of 25 watts from Fatman itube is actually more than sufficient in many applications, mainly in small rooms driving bookshelf speakers of moderate sensitivity and efficiency.

However, I think the Fatman and MA combo is a mismatch.ÿ

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts