emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

JohnDuncan:Ooops........
...sssoooo???

PMC DB1+ versus Neutron V...

What's the score?

John Duncan

Right. First things first - an apology to Joel for blowing him out tonight, ended up moving my meeting tomorrow so ended up coming home. Nothing to do with wanting to bring a box home obviously. But only just sat down, haven't eaten yet...........

So, after a palaver getting my bi-wire cable plugged for single wire..........they're on, and first impressions are.......ok. With simple folk (Jim Moray, then John Martyn), acoustic instruments and voices sound really lovely - real space around them, a real sparkle at the top end and plenty of warmth. But..........just put Hounds of Love on (which to be honest I haven't heard for a long time) and it's a little bit shouty and confused. Now this could easily be other factors at play here (ie this is probably the first time I've heard this on both Primares), but they're not handling it quite as well.

Bass is good - not as full as the DB1s but *there*. I'm actually coming away with the impression that they're very similar to your Spendors Ig (though it's been a month since I heard them).

Further bulletins as events warrant.........

A

Anonymous

JohnDuncan:Right. First things first - an apology to Joel for blowing him out tonight, ended up moving my meeting tomorrow so ended up coming home. Nothing to do with wanting to bring a box home obviously. But only just sat down, haven't eaten yet...........

So, after a palaver getting my bi-wire cable plugged for single wire..........they're on, and first impressions are.......ok. With simple folk (Jim Moray, then John Martyn), acoustic instruments and voices sound really lovely - real space around them, a real sparkle at the top end and plenty of warmth. But..........just put Hounds of Love on (which to be honest I haven't heard for a long time) and it's a little bit shouty and confused. Now this could easily be other factors at play here (ie this is probably the first time I've heard this on both Primares), but they're not handling it quite as well.

Bass is good - not as full as the DB1s but *there*. I'm actually coming away with the impression that they're very similar to your Spendors Ig (though it's been a month since I heard them).

Further bulletins as events warrant.........
Try a home demo of the SA1s and see how you get on. They have certainly benefited from my CDP upgrade, it's just the amp that needs attention.

I'm convinced that the Primare stuff will match well with Rega and Proac speakers. Both should balance the warmth a bit. Are you planning to use the AVIs on a different amp in the kitchen?

EDIT - well, you answered that whilst I typed this reponse!

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Never heard the Neutrons Mr Duncan. When we had a listen to the new ADM's at AJ's place he had a pair behind them on the window sill (I dont know which version). Equally interesting were the two massive AVI concept monoblocks connected to it. If memory serves well, he said casually they were around 800w and a few thousand quid each. Unfortunately we never got to hear them as we enjoyed the ADMs with different music. He did also say that the 9.1's have the better, quicker and more transparent amplifiers regardless of the huge price difference. Still, wished we'd at least had given them a quick blast.

A

Anonymous

drummerman:He did also say that the 9.1's have the better, quicker and more transparent amplifiers regardless of the huge price difference.
...surely he didn't say that...

A

Anonymous

I'm reading here that you're underwhelmed / disappointed by the Neutron's. Is this right?

John Duncan

No - I'm comparing a 400 quid speaker to my PMCs, which are rather more expensive and have rather more depth. I left them in situ and played something again briefly this morning and they really are very good in the midrange and treble (to me). Bass extension is very good, not quite on a par with the PMCs but they have a complex (and expensive) design to provide it.

I said earlier to Igglebert that they remind me of SA1s........

A

Anonymous

...sounds like phase 2 of the plan should be started, Sonus Faber Concertino Domus...

A

Anonymous

JohnDuncan:And apparently they're 'gorgeous' and 'sound lovely' and 'should stay in the living room'..............

Be careful, John. Be very careful. Next thing you know you find yourself being drawn to the AVI amp pack, THEN the wife notices the lack of boxes and asks what's going on...."it's does sound good, doesn't it and without the boxes?...How about that OTHER box"?
I tell you when reason comes into play women are on the upper hand.

A

Anonymous

chebby:Solomon1:I tell you when reason comes into play women are on the upper hand.

Except when it comes to shoes.
...or hand bags, clothes, any form of electronics, cars, cats.........

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts