Just bought a Reavon 4K Blu-ray player!

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 196306

Surely SACD means it will just play on a compatible SACD player, if its not a SACD surely it wouldn’t play on one?

I have got a Panasonic 4K Blu-ray player that doesn’t play some of my SACDs, surely that’s all it means?

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 196306

An SACD has both an SACD track and a CD track so it can be used on ordinary CD/DVD/Blu-Ray/4K UHD players. (SACD can also have 5.1 surround sound)

Bill
Thanks Bill. (y) I am still confused by my experiences though.

D

Deleted member 196306

I think I understand now though. With this picture I took it says stereo on the SACD, so that means you wouldn’t be able to tell if it did 5.1 surround sound too by my picture. Is that right?

D

Deleted member 196306

Picture of SACD in full 5.1 surround on my CA:

image.jpg

I am pretty sure now the SACDs I played on the Reavon were Stereo sound! So that means I wouldn’t have been able to tell - pants!

Last edited by a moderator:

michael hoy

Sorry just been watching a film.
As Bill stated SACD disks have both SACD and Stereo layers so that they can play on either device.
The Reavon site does not state SACD for the 100 only the 200.
Have you seen the pictures of the inside of the 100. 2 pcb's not as big as a cigarette packet and a disc drive.
A bit of a rip off for the price.

doifeellucky

Hence I stuck with the best LED in the range rather than going OLED. I guess you’ll get that with widescreen films as well with the black bars too and bottom - I used to see it on an old Panny plasma after watchin pig a couple of films.
I’m still using a Panasonic plasma, and although I sometimes see a bit of image retention, for example when my old virgin box used to boot up so text was on the screen for a few minutes, I’ve never noticed anything when switching from 2.35:1 to 16:9. Biggest issue is the noticeable change in brightness in dark scenes. Currently considering the A80J and C1.

D

Deleted member 196306

As Bill stated SACD disks have both SACD and Stereo layers so that they can play on either device.
Have you seen the pictures of the inside of the 100. 2 pcb's not as big as a cigarette packet and a disc drive.
Thanks mate.

abacus

Going back decades equipment has been made primarily 19” rack mount size with enough depth to allow stacking, electronics on the other hand have got smaller and of way better quality then the old CD players which filled the box with electronics, (Hence modern players look empty) so while it may look a rip off compared to the oldies, its actually the opposite. (If they made them smaller people would be complaining they didn’t look right in their racks when mixed with their amps etc.)

Bill

I’m guessing the Reavon in the pic is the 100, which doesn’t have any analogue outputs or DAC board, so there’s one, potentially two boards less for starters. Plus, even if you compared and Oppo 302 to a 103, there was a fair difference inside, as the 203 had a dedicated board for the two-channel analogue output that took care of unbalanced RCA and balanced XLR.

Reactions: Al ears

michael hoy

I’m guessing the Reavon in the pic is the 100, which doesn’t have any analogue outputs or DAC board, so there’s one, potentially two boards less for starters. Plus, even if you compared and Oppo 302 to a 103, there was a fair difference inside, as the 203 had a dedicated board for the two-channel analogue output that took care of unbalanced RCA and balanced XLR.
It is the 100 David. The 203 doesn't have XLR.
I was trying to compare two similar priced devices and their market place, the OPPO is better thought out and appears to be of better quality.
103 is not really any different to the 203 inside.
oppo 103.jpg

D

Deleted member 196306

Picture of SACD in full 5.1 surround on my CA:

View attachment 2742

I am pretty sure now the SACDs I played on the Reavon were Stereo sound! So that means I wouldn’t have been able to tell - pants!
Just tried it on my Dad’s setup and it wouldn’t play in surround sound on the Pioneer BDP-LX71!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts