Just been assaulted by Alanis

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
T

the record spot

PJPro:

How about one of these?

ST00030.jpg

Graphic equalizers used to be all the rage at one point. :)

drac43i.jpg

Back, back!!

A

Anonymous

Listening to (god forbid) the MP3s of the album, it is quite bright, not really lacking lows so much as just really painful sibilance. Especially so right after Carole King on vinyl.

A

Anonymous

"The hearings the first to go" ? Well, you must be a young one!

A

Anonymous

I use an original pressing as one of my Test discs when auditioning Hifi too! Maybe that means it's a great disc for audtioning, I'm sure it's a popular choice as it is very detailed.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Just tried this out, streaming it losslessly from iTunes to my Onkyo 905 via an AE. On Stereo mode (on the Onkyo), it's really... really harsh, but switch it to Pure Audio mode and it's much more enjoyable and the album I remember listening to a long time ago. I'm guessing this is more an indication of the setup. Whether that be the recording is brightly mastered and your setup is revealing that or that your system is a little on the bright side and thus is enhancing this (like Stereo mode could be on mine), this is hard to say.

I should say, until I upgraded the power cable into my Onkyo to a ClearerAudio Copperline Alpha, I always preferred Stereo mode on the Onkyo. Without really realising it at the time, once I had upgraded, I suddenly discovered Pure Audio was better - a few others on the forum said the same (trevor79 being a major advocate). Whether this comes into the equation or not, I don't want to say - mainly for fear of turning this into an horrendous power cable argument! However, it's worth noting I reckon.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts