Just been assaulted by Alanis

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
I read a post yesterday which said Alanis Morrissette's 'Jagged little pill' is a notoriously brightly mastered album. I used to play the album loads on my poo Aiwa setup of my teens and never noticed it. I've just played it on my current system and got three tracks in before having to turn it off. It actually hurt my ears. Gutted, I like that album.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Sounds sacreligious, I know, but maybe save it for the car/MP3 player? I 've got several albums I enjoy more that way, as their shrill/poor production is mercilessly revealed on my main system.

I've recorded some others onto lovely old analogue tape, too - that's more forgiving than digital and I still get the big-system benefits.

T

the record spot

Picked up an original copy of an old Styx album I had years ago today - not heard it at a higher volume yet, but all indications on the first couple of tracks to date suggest it's an "ear bleeder". Sharper than a Mach 3 razor blade.

On the bright side, as part of a 3 for £10 deal at Avalanche in Edinburgh today, I landed an AAD 2112 (Rush, for the uninitiated!) and a CD from Fiona Mackenzie on Linn SACD. That really sounds amazing!

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
bretty:I read a post yesterday which said Alanis Morrissette's 'Jagged little pill' is a notoriously brightly mastered album. I used to play the album loads on my poo Aiwa setup of my teens and never noticed it. I've just played it on my current system and got three tracks in before having to turn it off. It actually hurt my ears. Gutted, I like that album.

That was me, that was. Have you got/listened to Thank U? Piercing stuff!

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
'Thank u' is on 'Supposed former talented song-writer' isn't it? Hold on, i'll put it on.....

Man, that's a record. It took less than a minute and a half to get that same pain in my ears. Luckily, I think the second album's a pile of dog doo, so no big loss there! It is strange, though, that a major artist, like she was, could make two albums back to back, that were so harshly mastered. My cd collection is probably around the 500 mark and, with the exception of 'Californication', i've never heard anything so bad.ÿ

A

Anonymous

the record spot:I landed an AAD 2112 (Rush, for the uninitiated!)

I am very initiated........... A quality release. Remaster sounds good too though.

T

the record spot

Graham_Thomas:the record spot:I landed an AAD 2112 (Rush, for the uninitiated!)

I am very initiated........... A quality release. Remaster sounds good too though.

Yep, I have the remastered Moving Pictures and it's been handled with care. I think so far, Rush and Peter Gabriel are the only two I'd not shudder to listen to their remasters.

Been lucky enough to snag Farewell To Kings, Hemispheres and Exit...Stage Left for near pennies too recently; there's a good rich sound to all of 'em.

A

Anonymous

the record spot:Graham_Thomas:the record spot:I landed an AAD 2112 (Rush, for the uninitiated!)

Yep, I have the remastered Moving Pictures and it's been handled with care. I think so far, Rush and Peter Gabriel are the only two I'd not shudder to listen to their remasters.

Been lucky enough to snag Farewell To Kings, Hemispheres and Exit...Stage Left for near pennies too recently; there's a good rich sound to all of 'em.

Marillion remasters are excellent.........

A

Anonymous

On that topic does anyone have the 30 Seconds to Mars album?
I wouldn't say its bright but it sounds somehow compressed on my system. The cymbals are very tizzy and sound like they have some compression artefacts (pre-echo I think its called). It really puts me off. I can't be sure if they used compression on the recording or if i've just become very aware of pre-echo artefacts and liken the bright cymbals to it....

....i'd welcome any feedback if you've heard that album. Its another waste of £10 on my system, I'm afraid (great tunes though!)

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
ashworth_rich:On that topic does anyone have the 30 Seconds to Mars album?I wouldn't say its bright but it sounds somehow compressed on my system. The cymbals are very tizzy and sound like they have some compression artefacts (pre-echo I think its called). It really puts me off. I can't be sure if they used compression on the recording or if i've just become very aware of pre-echo artefacts and liken the bright cymbals to it........i'd welcome any feedback if you've heard that album. Its another waste of £10 on my system, I'm afraid (great tunes though!)

The drummer does use a lot of crash in all the songs, which do sound a little subdued and unnatural in the mix. I think the ride doesn't sound right, you're right, it is a little digital sounding. I find the other cymbals sound fine, especially the hi-hat which, to my ears, is crisp and open. The album as a whole I think has been recorded well.

John Duncan

al7478:
ear:How I miss Aiwa...it always sounded great!

Try telling that to JD...

Hey, I was generalising. I think my last 'personal stereo cassette player' was an Aiwa, and it was very good (in relative terms).

This, however, is another matter:

400x257aiwa.jpg

A

Anonymous

I've just given it a listen full blast using my k701s which are as faithfull as you're gonna get. No problems here, can't see what the fuss is about.

Dougal1331

Dec 30, 2007
Visit site
I agree with Thaiman- both that album and Supposed former... are among the best recordings I've heard, and I have often used them as system testers too.

Perhaps there were multiple pressings of the albums, with some differences between batches? Just a thought...

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
al7478:

bretty:I read a post yesterday which said Alanis Morrissette's 'Jagged little pill' is a notoriously brightly mastered album. I used to play the album loads on my poo Aiwa setup of my teens and never noticed it. I've just played it on my current system and got three tracks in before having to turn it off. It actually hurt my ears. Gutted, I like that album.

That was me, that was. Have you got/listened to Thank U? Piercing stuff!

In the light of recent comments, i want it to be duly noted that i didnt comment directly on recording quality - i dont consider myself anywhere near qualified to do so - just that she has an enormously shrill voice, which reaches a peak on a couple of particular tracks, to my ears. So, i wonder "aloud", can that kind of thing even be produced away...?

JD - yes, clearly, that is another matter altogether lol!

As you will have noticed, ive discovered italics. there really is no stopping me now...
emotion-14.gif

T

the record spot

Can you reduce the "shrill" factor in a singer's voice? You can alter any aspect of the recording to be sure - I'm guessing that if you can boost the sound of a recording in one direction the converse might apply too.

That said, it all depends on how much you treat an original work as something that shouldn't be mucked about with.

My guess would be that anything that needs doing to limit any punishingly high frequencies outght to be addressed at the time of recording but with minimal "futzing" around.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
the record spot:Can you reduce the "shrill" factor in a singer's voice? You can alter any aspect of the recording to be sure - I'm guessing that if you can boost the sound of a recording in one direction the converse might apply too. That said, it all depends on how much you treat an original work as something that shouldn't be mucked about with. My guess would be that anything that needs doing to limit any punishingly high frequencies outght to be addressed at the time of recording but with minimal "futzing" around.

indeed, is it desireable?

and what would constitute minimal futzing?

T

the record spot

The more stuff I listen to, the more I think not - the trend just now seems to be recordings issued with the levels going all the way up to 11, so you lose the overall dynamic of what you're listening to, everything's just loud.

I think the best discs are the ones that've had minimal mucking around at the remixing stage; too much compression, EQ, noise reduction, etc., sucks the life out of an album for me, so the less that's done, the better IMO.

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
the record spot:Can you reduce the "shrill" factor in a singer's voice? ...[snip]
How about one of these?

ST00030.jpg

Graphic equalizers used to be all the rage at one point. :)

A

Anonymous

It proves that it's perhaps doing the hi-fi things well, but not neccessarily doing justice to the music.

Not that I like Alanis...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts