Just a very simple question really

Peptdi

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
As NAIM have no got back to me (no sprises there really) Will the UNITILITE accept a turntable like the REGA Planar 1, or will you need a seperate Phono adaptor?

dellroy

Mar 1, 2009
Visit site
The UNITILITE does not have a phono input to directly connect a Turntable to. You will need to purchase a phonostage and connect it via the analogue input on the rear.

Mark Rose-Smith said:
Naim do have their very own stageline for such connectivity but they're very single minded units and hence the reason I have plumped for an alternative solution.

I am struggling to find why anyone would want to plug a cheap turntable into a Unitilite which by current accounts still costs 2k...... unless it's a cheaper second-hand version. But the that's not what the Unitilite was designed for.

Yeah Al.I can't fathom a reason why you'd want a cheap turntable/phono stage in a decent bit of naim kit it kind of goes against what your trying to achieve imoe.Also it's what you buy when you want a nice streamlined streaming option,although I wouldn't mind a superuniti myself but the amp and streamer are exceptional with the added bonus of a analogue and digital inputs to cater for turntable and cd player.

Peptdi

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
What if someone wants to only dip their toe into the world of vinyl...... before embarking on a more expensive turntable. It saddens me that where ever/when ever I ask a question it is always met with this hifi snobbery.

Peptdi said:
What if someone wants to only dip their toe into the world of vinyl...... before embarking on a more expensive turntable. It saddens me that where ever/when ever I ask a question it is always met with this hifi snobbery.

It's not snobbery but fact. Vinyl cannot be done well on the cheap. Many are disappointed with their turntables it seems when they do not deliver what they think they should.

What other source, if any do you plan to use?

D

Deleted member 108165

Peptdi said:

I can see where you are coming from and it could be construed that the responses are based on snob value. I've owned some turntables at the lower end of the market and thought they sounded good, but ultimately my initial vinyl experience was a bit of a let down. I persevered and a couple of upgrades later found a whole different presentation with my current turntable and am now happy.

As an example I recently bought an SACD of Brothers In Arms - Dire Straits, to me this is the closest I have come to replicating the sound of the same album on vinyl.

So the guys are right, you can do vinyl on the cheap but don't expect CD-like playback quality. This is one area where the more spent = better performance, but even expensive turntables still won't mask pops and clicks or knackered records *biggrin*. If you're serious about records then get the best turntable you can afford and feed it with pristine vinyl.

Peptdi

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
So... The little ElementalUSB has arrived, damaged stylus replaced and once i placed it on a round 12 inch Dunelm trivet it sounds lovely, smooth and clear and suprisingly detailed! But lovely could be made outstanding IMHO, so besides the obvious Platter and stylus upgrades; any ideas for some teaks and mods to improve the sound, in particular a little bit more bass?

D

Deleted member 108165

Peptdi said:
So... The little ElementalUSB has arrived, damaged stylus replaced and once i placed it on a round 12 inch Dunelm trivet it sounds lovely, smooth and clear and suprisingly detailed! But lovely could be made outstanding IMHO, so besides the obvious Platter and stylus upgrades; any ideas for some teaks and mods to improve the sound, in particular a little bit more bass?

If you're looking at upgrades so soon then you have bought the wrong turntable! You could have got a better platter and cartridge on a more expensive turntable, (Debut Carbon or equivalent Rega), instead of wasting money on upgrades... you were warned of this.

Regarding bass, how many hours does the cart have on it? Bass should enhance a little with use, if not try a slightly higher tracking force.

It's not hi-fi snobbery but hi-fi fact. On a 2 k unit a budget turntable will sound okay but you are not making the most of what should be a very good amplifier.

Exactly the same with me: My £200 turntable doesn't do my amp justice but in isolation it sounds fine.

There's an old hi-fi adage: Rubbish in, rubbish out.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Peptdi said:

Stick with digital vinyl only sounds good when you spend ridiculas amount of money unless you buy 2nd hand.

Id stick with digital

matthewpiano

Vinyl can be enjoyable on a budget. Last night I was playing with my Pioneer PL12D II - a 1970s budget turntable with a new budget cartridge on (AT95E). OK, so I've got enough experience to be able to get the set-up just right, but for the total of £95 that it cost me a couple of years ago, it sounds excellent and very involving. It tracks well across an LP with no IGD issues.

Whether it would sound any good through a £2k Naim is another question, but having had a slew of modern budget decks I'm confident the vintage stuff like this Pioneer (and my Dad's Sansui SR222) will comfortably out-perform the low-end Pro-jects and all the stuff that comes out of the Hanpin factory with big-brand names on it now.

nick8858

Aug 8, 2011
Visit site
Agree that budget doesn't mean rubbish. I have a second hand Michell Focus turntable with a budget cartridge AT95E and it sounds brilliant. Cost - £150. Yes hi fi snobbery well and truly exists. By the way if you want snobbery at its very worst visit digital camera forums where only mega mega pixel full frame camera sensors are acceptable. Great so long as you have a fork lift truck to carry around.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Peptdi said:

Stick with digital vinyl only sounds good when you spend ridiculas amount of money unless you buy 2nd hand.

Id stick with digital
There's your answer then. Buy 2nd hand.

It's not like CD beating 2nd hand turntables are difficult to identify and purchase.

No snobbery about buying something like this:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Sony-PS-X6-Top-Player-Audio-Technica-MG35V-/252895999865?hash=item3ae1c6b779:g:NyAAAOSw2xRYaT-j

Something with reasonable engineering from a company who knew what they were doing at a reasonable price.

Peptdi

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
And worth every penny, Ortofon OM10 stylus and Acrylit-E Platter. Sound 100% better that the CD stage of My Unitilite can muster, and almost as good as the Hi Res. So until i get better internet is Vynil all the way :)

TRENDING THREADS