June 2003 Loudspeaker Supertest - Mission 782se

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I am looking for suggestions on what amp to partner with some Mission 782se 'speakers. The supertest says not to partner with bright or agressive electronics. Also, in the buying guide from the same edition, it says that with the right components, they are very special indeed - what are the right components?

What amp(s) from the same era (as looking secondhand) would be a good place to start?

Cheers

A

Anonymous

Hi Sony6million - welcome.

WHF loved this speaker at the time - it was made when Mission were at the top of their game about 10 years ago. The 782se originally sold for just under a grand as a guide. They do need a bit of umph to get them to sing, but they are able to deliver a great sound. I would suggest at least 80w as an absolute minimum. What sort of music do you listen to and what budget are you looking at? I would guess no more than £500ish?

Without knowing anything else initial suggestions from me based on good synergy between amp and speaker are:-

Arcam A85 or better still, the slightly higher powered A32 (at 100w)

Roksan Kandy III

Both of these are gettable second hand for around £500 or less.

LowFeller

A

Anonymous

Thanks LowFeller

I picked the speaks up cheap and don't want to spend that much, less than £500, closer to £200. My time will come again when I throw wonga at hifi again, just not now.

How about the older Arcams, like the Alpha series?
Any old Marantzs worth checking out?

I like a lit of everything but to pigeon-hole it i'd say electronic/downtempto/ambient and stadium rock music.

Sony6million:

Thanks LowFeller

I picked the speaks up cheap and don't want to spend that much, less than £500, closer to £200. My time will come again when I throw wonga at hifi again, just not now.

How about the older Arcams, like the Alpha series?
Any old Marantzs worth checking out?

I like a lit of everything but to pigeon-hole it i'd say electronic/downtempto/ambient and stadium rock music.

If you are looking at Alpha range from Arcam, for these particular speakers, no lower than the Alpha 9. Especially good when bi-amped with the 9P.

Personally, I'd go for the DIVA range, like A80 or 85. Again both sound impressive once you add a power amp. Away from Arcam the Nad 352 can be picked up for about 200-250 quid second hand. Also check out the older Roksan Kandy MKII or III - the extra output will be well suited to the Missions.

Many years ago I heard 783's. Wicked.

A

Anonymous

So a smaller budget than I guessed which is fair enough. In which case Plastic Penguin's suggestions are spot on. Alpha 9 or 10. The Nad 352 is a good shout. You've got a good pair of speakers there - they're not bass monsters but get the synergy thing right and you will be loving the sound.

A

Anonymous

Yeah, it is more of a second system really, so little budget. I was wondering if anyone from the mags would remember what kit they used to test them with. Or maybe they have all moved on...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts