Jumper wire help

rich51080

Jul 24, 2007
Visit site
I am running a single wire from my B&W 705 speakers which are bi-wireable. Thing is I am using the metal links supplied by B&W as the jumpers. What i would like to know is do jumper leads make a difference in sound. I have been looking at the QED jumper set but if I am to spend 50 pounds i need to know that they will improve my system.

Help and advice much sought after.

A

Anonymous

I would take a look at the jumper leads that kimber has to offer. After all let's face it, anything is better than the metal links supplied by most speaker manufacturers.

clive

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
why spend £50 on 2 inches of cable when you can snip of the same amount of your existing cable or leave the links in place.i really don't know why people do this.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="gregory"]why spend £50 on 2 inches of cable when you can snip of the same amount of your
existing cable [/quote]

That would sound better than leave the link in place imo....or try Cardas jumpers (ebay.com, not co.uk!)

A

Anonymous

Most jumpers are gold plated and solid metal. My personal view is that you're totally and utterly wasting your time with this. If there's a flaw in your system find it and route it out. I don't for a moment believe it's here. If the jumpers are as I described there'll be no electrical difference in swapping them. Not over 2 inches. No way.

A

Anonymous

Certainly sounds extremely unlikely that this could ever make a serious difference unless what's in place is really really rubbish. Look at is this way - 2inches of seriously good speaker cable would cost the speaker manufacturer how much? At twenty quid a meter, about a pound. If they thought it made a noticeable difference - you know like a 5 star group test winning review versus 4 stars - I think they'd probably do it. If it doesn't make that much difference 50 quid is way too much to spend for such an upgrade.

A

Anonymous

#i've asked about this in a few shops before and thye advice i got was to cut a few inches of my existing cable as it would mach sonicaly and would be cost effective at its best

A

Anonymous

SEX mate, you're totally wasting your time. These are not some chrome plated cheapo plastic bodied jumpers. They're B&W in the original forum posting and they'll be constructed to work as well as they could possibly need to on these speakers. You really don't need to worry about them. If you listen to the retailer, you'll make him far richer than you'll make the sound any better. He's after a sale. On this you just need to know when to tell him to put a sock in it!

Anton90125

Sep 1, 2007
Visit site
I already know that some of you are not convincied about biwiring - that fair enough. I would just like to pose a few questions (playing devil's advocate ):
emotion-14.gif

What would be the cost to the manufacture of using a metal jumper as opposed wire jumpers?

Would they be more expensive? They would either have to manufacture the links or buy them in custom made.

Wouldn't it have been cheaper for them to use the wire (already buy in bulk) that they use internally to connect the drivers to the crossover?

If the wire is good enough for the drivers then surely its good enough as a jumper?

Would a manufacture handicape their speaker with something that is inferior and at a place which is also critical to the performance?

And the last question (which should raise a few fireworks):
emotion-40.gif

How can anyone hear the difference between a metal jumper and wire jumper (which is essentially a short connection joining the two halfs of the crossover circuits at the speaker end) and not hear the difference with biwiring (which is essentially a long connection joining the two halfs of the crossover circuits at the amp end)?
emotion-42.gif

I would be interested to hear people (polite) views on this.
emotion-2.gif

It is also a good excuse to use the smiley icons

A

Anonymous

Quite Anton!

Here's to a peaceful Sunday afternoon interrupted only by the pleasurable thoughts of those enjoying their music.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Will Harris"]SEX mate, you're totally wasting your time. These are not some chrome plated cheapo plastic bodied jumpers. They're B&W in the original forum posting and they'll be constructed to work as well as they could possibly need to on these speakers. You really don't need to worry about them. If you listen to the retailer, you'll make him far richer than you'll make the sound any better. He's after a sale. On this you just need to know when to tell him to put a sock in it![/quote]

mate wat the sales man said is not to buy anything so in fact he is not selling anything wat i did say is " cut a few inches of your cable and usi to connect the other posts " this way im not actualy spending any money no even a penny

A

Anonymous

True. I stand corrected. You're proposing a solution to replacing poor quality jumpers with something that at least shares the characteristics of ones existing speaker cable.

I can't argue with that save to say that the jumpers most hi quality speaker manufactrers use, that I've seen, have been more solid and usually gold plated to boot, than any speaker cable and so offer a path of far less resistance to the signal than speaker cable in general. But it's very likely to be six of one and half a dozen of the other.

I suppose if you mean that if you have certifiably rubbish jumpers a solution would be to swap them out with some cable then fine. I agree. But if this is the case, wouldn't you agree with me that you most likely would do better replacing the speakers altogether with a brand that pay attention to every aspect of their speaker's manufacture? After all, a pair of speakers with terrible jumpers would have to be the most bargain basement cheap and poor sounding boxes. Then changing the jumpers for good speaker wire, probably won't help a jot. Changing the speakers themselves would be the way to go. No?

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Will Harris"]True. I stand corrected. You're proposing a solution to replacing poor quality jumpers with something that at least shares the characteristics of ones existing speaker cable.

I can't argue with that save to say that the jumpers most hi quality speaker manufactrers use, that I've seen, have been more solid and usually gold plated to boot, than any speaker cable and so offer a path of far less resistance to the signal than speaker cable in general. But it's very likely to be six of one and half a dozen of the other.
I suppose if you mean that if you have certifiably rubbish jumpers a solution would be to swap them out with some cable then fine. I agree. But if this is the case, wouldn't you agree with me that you most likely would do better replacing the speakers altogether with a brand that pay attention to every aspect of their speaker's manufacture? After all, a pair of speakers with terrible jumpers would have to be the most bargain basement cheap and poor sounding boxes. Then changing the jumpers for good speaker wire, probably won't help a jot. Changing the speakers themselves would be the way to go. No?
[/quote]

i do agree have agood sunday

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Anton90125"]

How can anyone hear the difference between a metal jumper and wire jumper
(which is essentially a short connection joining the two halfs of the crossover
circuits at the speaker end) and not hear the difference with biwiring (which
essentially is essentially a long connection joining the two halfs of the
crossover circuits at the amp end)?
emotion-42.gif

[/quote]

May be it was a placebo effect! but I could hear some different with a very good qaulity jumpers connect between my speakers terminals. and you know that i am a sceptic one in here!

A

Anonymous

Thaiman, don't provoke OldPhrt to return from the grave! LOL.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts