jumper bars on kef Q7 floorstanding speakers

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello

Please can anyone advise me as to where the jumper bars that link the speakers tweeters high and woofer low are located.

On the back of the speakers there are 4 terminals i want to use the floorstanding speakers with my onkyo sr 605 receiver and want to bi-amp them but the onkyo manual states than the jumper bars need to be removed.

are they on the outside as i dont see them or do i remove the 4 screws where the terminal ports plate are and look in side there.

Hope someone can help

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Have you been using them biwired up to now? I'm trying hard to remember the Q7s, but there should be four terminals, and for single-wired use there should be metal plates linking the two red '+' terminals, and the same for the two black '-' terminals. These are removed for biwire/biamp operation.

EDIT: Found them! The metal plates look like these

166010f16bli.jpg

while later iQ series speakers used wire links like this

166020a8abli.jpg

ear

Aug 24, 2008
Visit site
I dont think they come with linking plates, since I've always seem them with a cable connectiong both terminals

A

Anonymous

there is no plate on the terminals just the 4 screw on 2xred and 2xblack there was a small thin plate attached to each color when i purchased them but have been removed since.

I was concerned as the manual for my receiver states if the jumper plates are not removed it may cause serious damaged to the receiver.

Thanks again andrew.

A

Anonymous

by the way is there anyway i can use the Q7 speakers as well as the kef 3005 se speaker package to create a 7.1 surround

Q7 bi amp x 2 floorstanding speakers
1 centre
2 rear surround
2 rear back surround
1 sub

i dont see enough speaker terminal on the back of my receiver.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Like the metal plate in the pictures above? If so, then you have presumably been running them biwired since you removed the plate - either that, or you've been running them with either just the UniQ or just the bass unit working!

Anyway, if there's nothing external connecting the two red terminals, and the two black terminals, then you are good to go. Biamp away!

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
ear:I dont think they come with linking plates, since I've always seem them with a cable connectiong both terminals

I think that's the later iQ models, not the original Q7.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Bips:by the way is there anyway i can use the Q7 speakers as well as the kef 3005 se speaker package to create a 7.1 surround

Not if you're going to use the Onkyo's biamping function, no. Well, not unless you add on an extra stereo power amplifier to drive the rear speakers.

A

Anonymous

i have a marantz intergrated amplifier PM4001 not sure if thats suitable
if not can you suggest any?

ear

Aug 24, 2008
Visit site
I've seen the pm4001 with Q7 and it is not so bad.just missed a bit when loundness button was not on.Guess it doesnt go very loud though.might be better with nad c326

A

Anonymous

just want to use the marantz amp to power the surround nothing else everything else will be connected to the onkyo sr 605 receiver, will it make much difference as just having my onkyo 605 connected to my kef 3005se is awesome by bi amping the Q7 and using the marantz just for the surround speaker x 2 i hoping it would be as good as or better.

By the way how do i connect the marantz to the onkyo which cables do i need.

A

Anonymous

as andrew mentioned earlier if i want to bi amp my Kef Q7 to the onkyo receiver and use the kef 3005se in a 7.1 surround its not possible as the KEf Q7 have 4 terminals so i would be 2 speaker terminal short on the onkyo so he mentioned that i could use a power amp to driver the surround speakers so i guessing if that works then i would need to connect the marantz to the onkyo. Im not sure myself but how would the surround speakers work if powered by the marantz if its not connected to the Onkyo.

Hope that makes sense.

A

Anonymous

yes i know but 5.1 only wanted 7.1 i know there is not much blu ray movies in 7.1 but just wondering if it was possible by adding another amp the marantz if it is possible how would i connect it if you have any ideas please let me know as it would be much appreciated, sorry im not replying quickly have a 2 yr old im looking after at the mo

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Apologies for earlier confusion: if you had a receiver with pre-out terminals, you could use the Marantz as a power amp to drive the rear speakers. As it is, it can't be done with the receiver you have now. Sorry, my mistake...

A

Anonymous

oh well may be upgrade my receiver in the near future any ideas as to which kind of receiver i could purchase to acheive this.

thanks again for your help

ear

Aug 24, 2008
Visit site
I would just keep the 3005 on the 605 and the q7 on the separate amp. the 3005 have a lot of sound dispersion so having no need to go 7.1.and not a lot of 7.1 films out there

A

Anonymous

yes that what i have decided to do the Q7 are currently connected to my marantz amp and marantz cd player i may just go for the cheaper option and get 2 more speakers same range as the kef3005se and use them as the surround backs in the future due to the lack of blu ray movies in 7.1

and finally thanks very much for your advise
and a thankyou to andrew as well.

ear

Aug 24, 2008
Visit site
guess you dont need 7.1 really but if you really want to go for the same kind of speakers.the pm4001 isn't the ultimate amp for that speakers though.

A

Anonymous

oh sorry the additional speakers are for the surround back x 2 would be connected to my onkyo for 7.1 but will do this in the future and will leave the Q7 attached to the marantz amp & cd player music does not sound good with the onkyo but movies are really awesome.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
A step up the Onkyo range would seem to be an obvious way to achieve the integration you want. Maybe to a TX-NR807, or even a refurbished TX-SR875, which is a superb receiver...

A

Anonymous

i see well there is a TX-SR875 at richer sounds for £449.95 seems tempting now.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts