Journey of starting a hobby speaker company!

Page 23 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I agree with Tonky.

....but the big question is....does the Mains Cable make a difference to your already very excellent amps? *diablo*

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
I have no idea I have not recieved it yet, I will be very suprised if it does in all honesty. The SMPS produces DC via all kinds of clever whiz bang circuits and even if it did I fail to see how on earth it would cost anywhere close to £600. R&D? ummm.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
iQ Speakers said:
So just a quick light hearted update for the two folks who enjoy this thread. Yes you two!

Its about a Year (post 361) since we started hooking up Hypex NCore NC500 amp modules. One year later we have shipped quite a few!. In the middle of developing a new range of lower cost multichannel and active speaker 250W amps. We have even incorporated a Micro to control power up, trigger, standby and diagnostics and will be software upgradable, have a new much higher quality case coming, sample arrived only this morning, built our own discrete Class A Op Amp Input buffer section. Bought another better CNC machine, (just purchased a CO2 laser engrver collect it Wednesday let the fun begin, for the rear panel markings) introduced a 12V trigger, new website, move toward Nord Acoustics from iQ speakers, lost 20 odd scalpels, have an Australian distibutor, A USA one wants to take on the Nords. Have A/C in my cabin which I used for 3 days! Ordered lots of parts, including hundreds of M3 x 6mm pan head machine screws, broken a few screwdrivers, wethered a problem with Burson V5's and Hypex V regulators whilst keeping everybody happy, mastered my CAM software, I think?, failed at PCB design software, anoyed my other half on numerous ocasions as to why I spend all my time in the wooden cabin in the garden (dont understand this one thought she would be delighted) Done 2 HiFi shows which were bloody hard work on my own, had 1 review published, another one coming soon in HiFi Pig, oh I won a £600 Chord mains cable while donating to a charity to buy a wheelchair for a HiFi enthusiast. Built a pre amp, come across all kinds of wonderful kit that I never knew existed. I've met, helped, had support me, worked with, numerous good people. Drank alot of Red Stripe to keep me going while I do research, SEO, web stuff, answering emails, ordering bits, did I mention the M3... to the early hours now 2.50. Recieved stunning feedback from serious Audiophiles with very expensive kit, and made lots of people happy. Its been a hell of a year, extremley enjoyable, massively hard work and the next 3-4 months are going to be even more manic with the new product development. Enjoy.

Nice stuff
Btw what multi channel amps do you do? Ive looked on the website but my phone could not show the contents.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
iQ Speakers said:
I have no idea I have not recieved it yet, I will be very suprised if it does in all honesty. The SMPS produces DC via all kinds of clever whiz bang circuits and even if it did I fail to see how on earth it would cost anywhere close to £600. R&D? ummm.

I await your assessment (on both your brands), which ever way it goes...and the more sceptical you are, the better.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
None yet they will be launched December upto 10 channels an 8 Channel 250W NCore based on NCore NC252MP modules will be around £1699 and they are 85%-90% as good as the NC500. Ideal for active speakers also. We have come across a speaker called Linkwitz LX521 open source product so you can build it yourself, buy kits or complete speakers its suposed to offer Enjoy the illusion of being at the concert ... sound.

A 4-way loudspeaker, designed as full-range dipole, for flat on-axis and off-axis response in the horizontal plane and frontal hemisphere. It requires between 8 to10 power amplifiers of 50 W to 200 W and a miniDSP 4x10HD.

1chapin_lx521_hybrid-c_zpstsk7bpyw.jpg

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
iQ Speakers said:
None yet they will be launched December upto 10 channels an 8 Channel 250W NCore based on NCore NC252MP modules will be around £1699 and they are 85%-90% as good as the NC500. Ideal for active speakers also. We have come across a speaker called Linkwitz LX521 open source product so you can build it yourself, buy kits or complete speakers its suposed to offer Enjoy the illusion of being at the concert ... sound.

A 4-way loudspeaker, designed as full-range dipole, for flat on-axis and off-axis response in the horizontal plane and frontal hemisphere. It requires between 8 to10 power amplifiers of 50 W to 200 W and a miniDSP 4x10HD.

In that

Pedro2

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Never heard of the speakers but the Linkwitz website is fascinating! Don't think I'd be needing the bigger designs but their LXmini with a 4 channel power amp might be very tempting.... Has anyone actually heard these speakers in the UK and Colin, have you built one yet?

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Ive been looking at those diy speakers for a few weeks now. I was discussing this with darius only last week.
How far are you regards set up as i found thier own website hard to get the straight forward info.
Feel free to email me if you like but im very interested in possible build instead of the k100s and ill be ready to decide only next year.

But id like as much info regards costs/advice etc.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
iQ Speakers said:
None yet they will be launched December upto 10 channels an 8 Channel 250W NCore based on NCore NC252MP modules will be around £1699 and they are 85%-90% as good as the NC500. Ideal for active speakers also. We have come across a speaker called Linkwitz LX521 open source product so you can build it yourself, buy kits or complete speakers its suposed to offer Enjoy the illusion of being at the concert ... sound.

Never heard them myself but I've read nothing but great things about his speakers. Facinating designs and concepts. Linkwitz is a bit of a legend in the small world of speaker design.

steve_1979 said:
iQ Speakers said:

Never heard them myself but I've read nothing but great things about his speakers. Facinating designs and concepts. Linkwitz is a bit of a legend in the small world of speaker design.

You can say that again, oh, apparently i did ;-)

The LX-521's are good only if you have the space required for them to operate optimally. They wouldn't in my size of room.

shadders

iQ Speakers said:
A year after shipping our first NC500 Nord we have introduced our SE model with far higher quality case and look.
Hi,

Where did you get the enclosure feet from?

I do like to see your progress and reports on what you are doing. I think it is great that you have pursued this path.

Regards,

Shadders.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
@Shadders email me I'll send you some.

I dont post so much now. As well you know all the... really enjoyed sharing all the up and downs we had alot of folks enjoy it too. Its been bloody hard work but great experience I've enjoyed ever minute!

shadders

iQ Speakers said:
@Shadders email me I'll send you some.

I dont post so much now. As well you know all the... really enjoyed sharing all the up and downs we had alot of folks enjoy it too. Its been bloody hard work but great experience I've enjoyed ever minute!
Hi,

It is ok, Thanks for the offer, I was just inquiring where you got them from, as suppliers are quite hard to track down.

Regards,

Shadders.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts