Journey of starting a hobby speaker company!

Page 19 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Production version of the Nord One UP working, glowing Hypex V regulators complete with Burson Supreme Sound V5 discrete OP Amp (the red tower these retail for $130 a pair)
New CNC built and setup just need to get it working, the main spindle does not want to play ball. I guess its a setting. Its pretty complicated, layers of software to drive it. The spindle on my origional machine was 200W this is 800W and has 4 precision bearings rather than 2, has linear guide rails on all axis I'm hoping all this will produce a better finish. I'm guessing after I get the spindle working there is still a couple of days work setting everthing else up. the table offsets all the jig positions, and then to alter the drawings for each panel to work quicker with the more power and precision of the machine. And Mrs Boggit can have the dining room table back, This in turn will lead to a reduced amount of nagging!
IMG_1949_zpsgsze22qh.jpg
IMG_1952_zpswjfpbgij.jpg

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
spiny norman said:
expat_mike said:
You are starting to sound like an engineer. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60P1xG32Feo

Even more, you're starting to sound like Ashley James with the endless self-promotion.

I certainly hope not! I'm just giving many of the interested people an insight to what I'm doing. A bloke in a shed (cabin its very warm) with a passion. Without information where would we all be? In the dark ages or fighting each other neither are good. This blog is aimed at people who enjoy my posts. Not for negative nasty people. So if you were, I would refrane from opening my posts in future it may just make you happier and you could spend time adding constructive comments. After all thats what a forum is all about. And please do not answer I'm far to busy bringing honest good value products to open minded intelligent people. Its not the first time you have had a pop after all.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
CNC machines were my orientation during high school. I had a chance to work on big industrial ones for milling metal (lathes and swivel heads). I still remember the coolant smell.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
I did 6 weeks of mechanical stuff during my first year of electronics training at the EITB. Yep know that smell! Having said that trying to get it working properly at present is all software based! Once I have that done, I then have to work out how to much faster I can tell it to cut, etc. it's far more substantial and spins faster 24K RPM than my old one.

basshound

Sep 23, 2007
Visit site
spiny norman said:
expat_mike said:
You are starting to sound like an engineer. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60P1xG32Feo

Even more, you're starting to sound like Ashley James with the endless self-promotion.

Please ignore posts like this and continue to update us with your progress, I for one find it very interesting.

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Its difficult to avoid self-promotion in a thread like this and indeed a journey on which you are travelling. In some ways many of us self-promote in our opinions and expertise though it may be less blatent. Your threads continue to be of interest to me and I'm sure many others and since you have always been very honest and upfront about your (now) business we are all surely very pleased and interested to see your progress. Cheers

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
Is there any chance of a video of the CNC machine in action? I find watching those things mesmerising. :)

Here is a video of CNC machining a small aerospace part. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DehW94gLRKM

I can't find a video of a decent sized part. Enjoy *biggrin*

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
expat_mike said:
steve_1979 said:
Is there any chance of a video of the CNC machine in action? I find watching those things mesmerising. :)

Here is a video of CNC machining a small aerospace part. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DehW94gLRKM

I can't find a video of a decent sized part. Enjoy *biggrin*

Cool. :)

It's interesting when it changes tool tips at 4:50, 8:50, 9:20 and 9:40.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
He's just showing off! Fortunately mines not that complicated! The new machine is faster, quieter and gives better finish than the old one. Even what I do is still bloody complicated to achieve! Only got it cutting today!

B29pvAnl.jpg

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
RobinKidderminster said:
Your threads continue to be of interest to me and I'm sure many others and since you have always been very honest and upfront about your (now) business

I too found the development of the hobby into a business of interest, but once the business became established and moved out from speaker-kit-building to distributorship I thought it became a bit too salesy. IMO, of course.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Spinney I would hardly call selling 30-40 Abrahamsen amps last year distrubution! I will try again once more... I am one bloke in a 4Mx4M log cabin in my garden, the products I sell are in the region of 50-100% cheaper than if I were selling them trough normal channels. Each customer gets personel service and great back up. At half 7.30 tonight I was packing a Hypex amp after completed making and testing it, the night before till gone 9. Anyway i could go on but I'm not I suspect it will fall on deaf ears.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
spiny norman said:
RobinKidderminster said:
Your threads continue to be of interest to me and I'm sure many others and since you have always been very honest and upfront about your (now) business

I too found the development of the hobby into a business of interest, but once the business became established and moved out from speaker-kit-building to distributorship I thought it became a bit too salesy. IMO, of course.

Maybe but who cares? It's not like he's spamming the forum at every opportunity.

When a HiFi company, any HiFi company, is so open and frank about its developments and what's happening 'behind the scenes' it's very interesting to read. It's a shame there aren't more companies who do it.

Keep posting your comments and pictures boggit. I'm enjoying them.

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
iQ Speakers said:
Spinney I would hardly call selling 30-40 Abrahamsen amps last year distrubution! I will try again once more... I am one bloke in a 4Mx4M log cabin in my garden, the products I sell are in the region of 50-100% cheaper than if I were selling them trough normal channels. Each customer gets personel service and great back up. At half 7.30 tonight I was packing a Hypex amp after completed making and testing it, the night before till gone 9. Anyway i could go on but I'm not I suspect it will fall on deaf ears.

Thanks, bagitt. I knew you'd take it in the conciliatory spirit in which it was intended.

I think you'll find there are quite a lot of distributors who'd be more than happy to sell 30-40 of a particular product in a year.

And thanks for the sales pitch yet again, especially on the pricing, but if I were you I'd avoid selling them 100% cheaper. That'd be giving them away.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts