Joining Speaker cables?

camdxr

Mar 7, 2008
Visit site
Hello Everyone.

My builders have buried my surround speaker cables in the walls for me (unsupervised) and I come back to find them about 3ft short.

I have some more of the same cable. Will soldering extensions to them affect the sound performance or should I dig them out and start again?

I cannot pull extra length as they are sealed in the plaster at both ends.

Thanks

Cam.

Petherick

Oct 29, 2008
Visit site
Hi camdxr.

I think the question you should really be asking is 'if I don't change them, will it bug me for ever?'. If the answer's 'no' then go ahead and join them!

A

Anonymous

I'd guess it'll make no difference whatsoever

how do you think the plug on the amp is attached ? with solder probably:)

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
Strip back about 1/2" of insulation on both parts of speaker wire to be joined. Slide 2" of heatshrink along one length and out of the way. Use silver solder and solder the joints together. Finally move heatshrink back down over connection and use hairdrier to shrink. Job done.

Edit, best way to solder wires together is to "tin" each part of the wire (heat the wire end with the solder gun till hot then allow the solder to run towards the heat along the wire). Once both end you going to join are tinned place them side by side and gently apply heat, the solder will flow between the two wires.

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
Also (for future reference) run conduit in the walls, then plaster over that. Insert / change speakers cable as required. (I know that does not help at the moment, sorry)

A

Anonymous

don't do what I did last timeI made some cables up ..

put the soldering iron down- went to pick it up - mistook the upper metalpart of the soldering iron for the handle (wasn't looking what I was doing) - OOOOUCH

A

Anonymous

don't do what I did last timeI made some cables up ..

put the soldering iron down- went to pick it up - mistook the upper metalpart of the soldering iron for the handle (wasn't looking what I was doing) - OOOOUCH

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts