• If you ever spot Spam (either in the forums, or received via forum direct message) please use the Report button at the bottom of each post to make sure a Moderator can handle it quickly. Thanks for your help in keeping things running smoothly!

John Lewis to drop the never knowingly undersold slogan!

Gray

Nov 27, 2015
They've stopped pretending not to know, what those in the know,
knew that they knew.

When my brother was buying a telly, he pointed out to JL that they were being undersold.
They knew.
Fair enough, they did the odd price match but sold plenty to those that never actually compare prices - because that slogan was very reassuring.

nopiano

Feb 15, 2009
They've stopped pretending not to know, what those in the know,
knew that they knew.

When my brother was buying a telly, he pointed out to JL that they were being undersold.
They knew.
Fair enough, they did the odd price match but sold plenty to those that never actually compare prices - because that slogan was very reassuring.
I’m pretty sure that’s the case too. They’d happily publicise matching Debenhams 25% of perfume because there’s 100% markup, but on electrical stuff it’s suicidal.

Personally, I think their free extra warranty on products like Apple are worth getting, though Richer Sounds run them close on TVs for example.

Reactions: Gray

Gray

Nov 27, 2015
.....Personally, I think their free extra warranty on products like Apple are worth getting, though Richer Sounds run them close on TVs for example.
Yes, I've happily bought a few Humax Freesat boxes from them - because of their 2 year guarantee on set-top boxes.

grdunn123

Sep 24, 2007
I don't blame them tbh, they've had such a hard time with people showing up to see things in the flesh and then going home to search for it cheaper on line.

Reactions: DougK

gel

Ending their price match will not help them with that problem though.
It's likely to make it worse for them.
Agree, if they are not careful they are going to drive customers away too if they haven’t already with all their constant changes to their terms eg no returns unless faulty.

bigboss

Agree, if they are not careful they are going to drive customers away too if they haven’t already with all their constant changes to their terms eg no returns unless faulty.
"No returns unless faulty" applies to you specifically I think, instead of a blanket policy. Wasn't there a pact with John Lewis with your agreement in the past that they won't sell products to you?

gel

"No returns unless faulty" applies to you specifically I think, instead of a blanket policy. Wasn't there a pact with John Lewis with your agreement in the past that they won't sell products to you?

Yes we had a little pact in store but I was still allowed to buy stuff though. That has now finished sometime ago though.

If you use a product you cannot return it.

bigboss

That has always been the case. They also mention this:

If you've changed your mind about keeping your purchase, please return it in its original condition with proof of purchase and we'll exchange or refund it.

By original condition we mean:

• you’ve kept all original packaging and labels in good condition and the product can be resold at full price
  • you haven’t used the product
  • the product contains no personal data and isn’t registered to a user.
The following products won’t be eligible for exchange or refund (unless faulty or not as described):

Products that have been opened or unsealed (other than where necessary to inspect)

gel

Do they all know you by name in the Milton Keynes branch Gel? :)
Strangely enough I barely go in there and especially this year I think I have been in there once and that was to buy my 75 inch Samsung QLED TV. I have only ever once returned a TV to John Lewis and that was because I was worried about screen burn having had it twice so I bought a LED TV instead. I have bought 4 TVs there this and last year if anything they love me especially the Samsung rep in there. :)

buzz_lightclick

Nov 21, 2007
Strangely enough I barely go in there and especially this year I think I have been in there once and that was to buy my 75 inch Samsung QLED TV. I have only ever once returned a TV to John Lewis and that was because I was worried about screen burn having had it twice so I bought a LED TV instead. I have bought 4 TVs there this and last year if anything they love me especially the Samsung rep in there. :)
I’m sure they do mate, must have made a lot of commission from your purchases over the years! ;)

Reactions: gel

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS