John Lewis small TVs

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I am looking to get a small TV for the bedroom and have seen some on the John Lewis web site - I am off to have a look at them but has anyone here got any experience of the smaller 19" or 23" models? What are the picture and sound quality like?

Can anyone recommend any other small TVs they are esepcially pleased with?

Thanks.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Alantiggger said:
Can only say that according to a survey reported the other day on tv JL have a terrible after care service.... might be better buying elsewhere ?

Can only say that, according to over 20 years of personal experience, JL have a terrific after-sales service for all their products and especially TVs.

It is why I will never buy a TV elsewhere.

John Duncan

chebby said:
Alantiggger said:
Can only say that according to a survey reported the other day on tv JL have a terrible after care service.... might be better buying elsewhere ?

Can only say that, according to over 20 years of personal experience, JL have a terrific after-sales service for all their products and especially TVs.

It is why I will never buy a TV elsewhere.

Well I actually bought my last TV at Richer Sounds, but on the whole i would tend to agree. Most partners actually know what they're talking about and aftersales in my experience has been exemplary.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Alantiggger said:

My personal experience has always shown JL to have some of the best after care service as well. How many people were in the survey?

Alantiggger

Oct 14, 2007
Visit site
I too have bought from them though have never had to take anything back.

The survay was on the national news last week and out of all the different companys it was Comet who came out top with a mark of 7/10 whereas John Lewis and Argos both scored 2/10.

I remember saying to my wife wow look at their scores and to think that online I have read online that Comet were not so great for follow-up service and that the fellows on What HIFI usually say that John Lewis is good.

I wasn't saying it.... I was just passing on a survey :doh:

I'm sure John Lewis are great.... but the survey said .... (sounds like a game show)

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Alantiggger said:
The survay was on the national news last week and out of all the different companys it was Comet who came out top with a mark of 7/10 whereas John Lewis and Argos both scored 2/10.

Sounds even more dubious. Mind you having said that I've had to return things to Comet in the past and had no issues.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Alantiggger said:

I remember saying to my wife wow look at their scores and to think that online I have read online that Comet were not so great for follow-up service and that the fellows on What HIFI usually say that John Lewis is good.

I'm sure John Lewis are great.... but the survey said .... (sounds like a game show)

Understood you were passing info on, but it's generally important to check sources on these things - believe it or not, the national news is not necessarily a trustworthy source of information (shock horror :grin:).

I could easily take multiple surveys and twist the results any way I wanted, just as some pharmaceutical companies will conduct multiple trials and happily cherry pick the ones that show their drugs in a favourable light. It doesn't actually mean that information is correct unfortunately.

Any survey which has put Comet after sales service at 7/10 has to be taken with a pinch of salt IMHO. Given also that JL won the UK Customer Satisfaction Awards this year (survey of 26,000 people), plus Retailer of the Year and Britain's Favourite Retailer 2011 (poll of 6,000 shoppers), it suggests some fluke result in a (probably) very minor survey.

EDIT - the UKCSI is a good resource for checking this sort of thing. As you can see, as of July 2011, JL is top with Comet nowhere to be seen!

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Alantiggger said:

OK, after some Googling, I found the source of this - and it's far from the headline 'news' described above.

It's not a survey, but an investigation done by Which, involving asking staff at a range of stores about a supposedly out-of-warranty fridge freezer.

They marked down stores whose staff couldn't give chapter and verse about the Sales of Goods Act - more details here

Now while it's not great if staff aren't fully up to speed on consumer rights, that's not a problem if you keep yourself informed. It's a very different situation to a company not providing great service if you do have a problem that needs fixing....

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
professorhat said:
I could easily take multiple surveys and twist the results any way I wanted, just as some pharmaceutical companies will conduct multiple trials and happily cherry pick the ones that show their drugs in a favourable light.

Not quite the same, but I'm always amused by television ads claiming things like "78 of 92 people agreed their hair never looked shinier." For all we know, the survey referenced comprised 300 respondents, 208 of whom thought their hair had never looked duller. Damn statistics, and all that...

Alantiggger

Oct 14, 2007
Visit site
Clare Newsome said:
Alantiggger said:

OK, after some Googling, I found the source of this - and it's far from the headline 'news' described above.

It's not a survey, but an investigation done by Which, involving asking staff at a range of stores about a supposedly out-of-warranty fridge freezer.

They marked down stores whose staff couldn't give chapter and verse about the Sales of Goods Act - more details here

Now while it's not great if staff aren't fully up to speed on consumer rights, that's not a problem if you keep yourself informed. It's a very different situation to a company not providing great service if you do have a problem that needs fixing....

Oh goodness, it was that Clare ... argh... I stand corrected, sorry guys :wall: I'll hit this wall hard, try to get my memory knocked into working ... appologies :type:

Appologies to John Lewis as well for getting it all so wrong.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts