Jazzland

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

insider9

Will be slowly making my way through a big catalogue.

Meanwhile these albums (Vol 1 & 2) saw their re-release yesterday. Charming recordings, even if sound quality is not a priority.

Mulatu Astatke And His Ethiopian Quintet "Afro-Latin Soul"

MI0004457830.jpg

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
How about some arabic modal jazz?

Anouar Brahem - Blue Maqams (2017)

MI0004311070.jpg

Arabic maqam (Arabic: مقام‎, translit. maqām, literally "place"; pl. مقامات maqāmāt) is the system of melodic modes used in traditional Arabic music, which is mainly melodic. The word maqam in Arabic means place, location or position. The Arabic maqam is a melody type. It is "a technique of improvisation" that defines the pitches, patterns, and development of a piece of music and which is "unique to Arabian art music". There are seventy two heptatonic tone rows or scales of maqamat.[1] These are constructed from major, neutral, and minor seconds.[1] Each maqam is built on a scale, and carries a tradition that defines its habitual phrases, important notes, melodic development and modulation. Both compositions and improvisations in traditional Arabic music are based on the maqam system. Maqamat can be realized with either vocal or instrumental music, and do not include a rhythmic component.

Jack DeJohnette / David Fiuczynski / Matthew Garrison / Philipp Gerschlauer - Mikrojazz: Neue Expressionistische Musik (2017)

MI0004363561.jpg

Microjazz is a long-running series of sheet music publications by New Zealand-born British pianist and composer Christopher Norton. The series is published by Boosey & Hawkes. Based on classical technique yet using popular contemporary styles such as jazz, blues, rock 'n' roll and funk, Microjazz aims to "develop musicianship and technique through the familiar sounds and styles of popular music". The series has established itself as a leading educational music series around the world, and has expanded over 20 years to include music for all of the major instruments with piano, ensemble books and midi file backings. It is now the biggest selling music series for Boosey & Hawkes, with over a million sales to date.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
insider9 said:

Meanwhile these albums (Vol 1 & 2) saw their re-release yesterday. Charming recordings, even if sound quality is not a priority.

Really interesting and fun album. This is a treasure of afro-caribbean motifs and cool sound effects, good recording and production. What a great find!

Mulatu_Astatke_2_sticks_1368800613_crop_550x652.jpg

Listened through vol. 1. Now on with vol. 2

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
insider9 said:

Now this is my kind of stuff.. *good* *music2*

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
insider9 said:
I've posted this on new albums thread but worth reposting here

Eddie Palmieri - Full Circle

This guy is 81 years old!

If you like that sort of thing you could try:
Introducing...Rubén González
His first album as leader at 77.

Also try Chucho Valdez - Live at the Village Vanguard and for something more serious try:
Gonzalo Rubalcaba - The Blessing
Also: Inner Voyage

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
emcc_3 said:
Not sure if this one has been mentioned before.

China Moses nightintales (2017)

Damn, that's some delicious plump bass on Put It on the Line.

Upright bass plucked by Neville Malcolm. I know him from Gregory Porter gigs.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
emcc_3 said:
Yes that double bass is pretty damn good throughout the album.
Another Album for double bass... IF TREES COULD FLY by Marc Johnson. Track 4 Especially .. Dancin to the Coffee Machine. On this track half through you get a pluck of the bass, just catches me out every time. The album has rich undertones and melodies with Cello & bass.

insider9

Leeps said:
Great choice! Just listening to Kamasi Washington's Street Fighter Mas as I type. Marcus Miller's album is beautifully recorded too, love it.

also, on YouTube, check out this super track...

Od Ebra do Dunava Live in Vilnius - Barcelona Gipsy balKan Orchestra

they're clearly enjoying themselves playing this.

Thanks for recommedation! Listening to Europe Closes the Border O.S.T. and it's a nice change of pace.

b5JLT6E.png

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
insider9 said:
RIP Tomasz Stanko

Don't know his work, but this is an excellent album.

Sad to hear this... A talented ECM artist and a great ambassador of European Jazz.

Last album I listened from his quartet was Soul of Things, Variations I - XIII (2003).

R-1216035-1377717823-3813.jpeg.jpg

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure if I posted this before, but here it is .

Ernest Ranglin - Below the Bassline.

https://open.spotify.com/album/2kqIgldmnjbg8VDpBf4JRX?si=eDWLK696SmaYUepaNZhi7w

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
Electro said:
I'm not sure if I posted this before, but here it is .

Ernest Ranglin - Below the Bassline.

https://open.spotify.com/album/2kqIgldmnjbg8VDpBf4JRX?si=eDWLK696SmaYUepaNZhi7w
Got this album love it. *dirol* Other Album's by Ernest Ranglin. In Search of the Lost Riddim and Memories of barbar mack.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts