Jazzland

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

insider9

This is quickly becoming one of my favourite albums of the year. Just stunning and keeps growing on you.

Kamasi Washington - Heaven and Earth

KgmWxfM.png

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
insider9 said:
This is quickly becoming one of my favourite albums of the year. Just stunning and keeps growing on you.

Wow, great opening. Funky yet bossa rhytmic, and soulful! Thx for recommending this, I am already enjoying it at first listen.

I'm thinking if this is recorded/mastered on tape.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
insider9 said:
All I know is that I keep playing it more than the new John Coltrane or anything else at present :)

Blasphemy!

Its Coltrane, Jones, Tyner and Garrison, everyones favorite pack! When they found Offerings in 2014 it was the wife, Sanders and Ali. Everyone was meh...

insider9

Vladimir said:
insider9 said:
All I know is that I keep playing it more than the new John Coltrane or anything else at present :)

Blasphemy! 

Its Coltrane, Jones, Tyner and Garrison, everyones favorite pack! When they found Offerings in 2014 it was the wife, Sanders and Ali. Everyone was meh... 
It's very good and it had many plays. And yes they were great together. I also like that side of Coltrane. It's more understated. And he plays soprano too.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Looks like I have my music sorted for the day.
thumbs_up.png

Heaven and Earth was brilliant btw. Half way through the album I was transported 50 years back in time. And it sounds distorted and analogue like old master tape from that era. The full experience!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
insider9 said:

I have tried to like it.....and didn't.

Then after you promoting it again and saying it was a "grower".....I tried again.....and liked it less. Pitty

I just don't like discordant Jazz....though, some (non-discordant) elements remind me of Deodato, which I listened to in the 70s.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
insider9 said:

I have tried to like it.....and didn't.

Then after you promoting it again and saying it was a "grower".....I tried again.....and liked it less. Pitty

I just don't like discordant Jazz....though, some (non-discordant) elements remind me of Deodato, which I listened to in the 70s.

That's just at the begining. During The Invincible Youth I can literally smell cigarette smoke, old leather and Tabac aftershave. It's not crisp, clean, experimental, progressive, atonal, fast. Sounds really old, warm, fuzzy, comfortable. It will make drummerman feel sick if he gave a listen.

It travels between the 60s and the 70s. The author's father was a funk singer, so it has the 70's jazz funk influences more than anything of South American variety. Dizzy used way more Brazil and Caribean motifs.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Vladimir said:
That's just at the begining. During The Invincible Youth I can literally smell cigarette smoke, old leather and Tabac aftershave. It's not crisp, clean, experimental, progressive, atonal, fast. Sounds really old, warm, fuzzy, comfortable. It will make drummerman feel sick if he gave a listen.

It travels between the 60s and the 70s. The author's father was a funk singer, so it has the 70's jazz funk influences more than anything of South American variety. Dizzy used way more Brazil and Caribean motifs.

Right; given your most elequent and atmospheric of descriptions...I'll give that track a good listen and see if I have an epiphany. Your (and I9's) entusiasm is infectious.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Take #3 then. ha

Don't sit and listen to it critically. Just relax as if listening to the radio. By Vi Lua Vi Sol starts you should feel in a good mood and blissful.

insider9

Vladimir said:
Don't sit and listen to it critically. Just relax as if listening to the radio. By Vi Lua Vi Sol starts you should feel in a good mood and blissful.

Yes, love that one too. The album feels rahter simple at first listen, somehow it just makes you want to listen to it more and more. Like I wrote on New Releases thread

"A good release which should be accessible to people who normally scoff at Jazz but there's plenty of interesting material there for Jazz fans".

What elevated it for me undoubtedly is the Esoteric.

insider9

I hope you didn't miss this release from early March. Quite exquisite! Just shows you how "little" you need to make extraodinary music.

Best served after a long day with a glass of vino and I suspect sounding glorious through some Harbeths ;)

eYNiDJk.png

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
insider9 said:
I hope you didn't miss this release from early March. Quite exquisite! Just shows you how "little" you need to make extraodinary music.

Best served after a long day with a glass of vino and I suspect sounding glorious through some Harbeths ;)

Thank you, Sir. I'll give it a listen and let you know if it's a big *good*

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Decided to sneak in a relisten of The Epic today simply because this albums is true to its name. For it Kamasi was proclaimed saviour of Jazz in similar fashion as people said for Garry Clark Jr. (blues) and Jack White (rock).

"21st century jazz as accessible as it is virtuosic -- feel matters to Washington. Holistic in breadth and deep in vision, it provides a way into this music for many, and challenges the cultural conversation about jazz without compromising or pandering.

The Epic is based on a concept, though it's unnecessary to grasp in order to enjoy. The music reflects many inspirations -- John Coltrane, Horace Tapscott's Pan-African People's Arkestra, Azar Lawrence's Prestige period, Donald Byrd's and Eddie Gale's jazz and choir explorations, Pharoah Sanders' pan global experiments, Afro-Latin jazz, spiritual soul, and DJ culture. A formidable soloist (he plays his ass off here), Coltrane is his greatest influence, but his tone is rawer, somewhere between Sanders and Albert Ayler." - Thom Jurek, AllMusic

MI0003858870.jpg

Amazing stuff.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Take #3 then. ha

I found the tracks you mentioned the least intolerable....which almost approached enjoyment, but didn't quite make it. I won't totally give up and will try them again from time to time...but won't be on my "must own" list any time soon....but thx for perservering

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
insider9 said:

This is much more to my taste....thx for the recommendation.

insider9

I don't know if you know Esbjorn Svensson Trio. Since you like Keith Jarrett you might enjoy it too.

I've not actually had a listen to this album yet. Read about it but somehow slipped my mind. Came out in May, a recording from 2005. 3 years before Esbjorn Svensson's tragic passing.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
insider9 said:
I don't know if you know Esbjorn Svensson Trio. Since you like Keith Jarrett you might enjoy it too.

I've not actually had a listen to this album yet. Read about it but somehow slipped my mind. Came out in May, a recording from 2005. 3 years before Esbjorn Svensson's tragic passing.

I love having Tidal....as for the first time, I can actually try recommendations.

Will give it a shot.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
insider9 said:

MI0004390342.jpg

I listened to A LOT of ECM releases by this trio. They were my jazz standards bread and butter during student days. After The Fall was recorded at a concert in Newark, New Jersey in November 1998. They were at their prime back then. I've probably relistened Tribute like 1000 times. Thanks for posting this. Already swinging my head, foot thumping... digging it. *music2*

R-773420-1378150807-6079.jpeg.jpg
changeless.jpg
ecmlp71351.jpg
tumblr_lfragoH7TB1qcs0ud_1296257686_cover.jpg
standards-in-norway.jpg
56baa2fa7baf6.jpg
61oGvG0w8iL._SY355_.jpg
R-383964-1398024765-6260.jpeg.jpg

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts