Jamo A102 - What Amp Yamaha 765 Vs Denon 1910

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi - I am new to this and my first post so please be gentle!!

I have decided on a Jamo A102 speaker system and I think I have narrowed the Amp choice down to a Yamaha 765 or a Denon 1910.

I have discounted the Sony STR-DH800 as I believe it is a bright sounding Amp and will not sound great with the bright sounding Jamo's.

I have discounted the Onkyo 577 and 607 - reasoning was the fact they run hot, and the space I have for my equipment is not large. Also I believe they are bright sounding amps's so again not a good match with Jamo's. Also had an experience with Richer Sounds yesterday pushing the Onkyo ahead of anything else which seemed odd once I got home and did some research...think from reading this forum and others, this is not uncommon feedback with RS at the moment!!!

Please feel free to correct me on any of the above though...

I believe both the Denon and the Yamaha would be more than suitable (bordering on overkill!) for my requirements but would give me the scope for upgrading my speakers in the future without changing my Amp. I intend to run sky for TV, Ps3 for gaming and bluray and also Ipod into amp for music.

My original budget was £500, the Yamaha pushes it to £600 and the Denon to £650. I don't mind paying the additional £50 if the Denon is a much more compelling offering.

My understanding is the Denon is a great system although tricky to set up and the remote is not that functonal and probably better for music that the Yamaha....other than the comments about the denon being better than the Yamaha for music, reading around I cannot find any other adverse comments about the Yamaha....Can anyone offer any advice?

For my requirements is the Denon really worth the additional £50?

Are there any other systems I should consider?

Thank you in advance...

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
2008/2009 was the year of the Yamaha, by all accounts. But (although I have not heard it) the 1910 is getting rave reviews. I have the older (1909) model and I think it's fine - it has improved remarkably by upgrading the mains lead to a ClearerAudio Copperline Alpha. Although a lot of my reservations came from upgrading from a Pioneer (I became used to the brighter side of things, and Denon are a lot warmer).

I think you'll probably be happier with the Denon, although I don't know where you're being quoted £650 - google throw them out at around the £450 mark, and there may be room to haggle a further 5 (or so) % off that, if you're lucky!

seasiders rock

Feb 21, 2009
Visit site
emotion-11.gif
Straight to the bottom of the page the Yamaha 765 which is now available for £350, it,s a no brainer.

I have had the Onkyo 507, Denon 1910 and imho the Yamaha is the best of the 3.

Better built than the Denon, and as you pointed out does not run hot like the 507.

Ample power at 90 per channel, 7.1 if you want to run extra speakers, upscaling, good connectivity, 4 hdmi in and hdmi pass through.

No hdmi hand shake issues. ( unlike the Denon which did not like my BT Vision box connected with hdmi )

The Yamaha has a warm sound, not clinical and will work well with the Jamo speakers.

Recommended....
emotion-21.gif

grifz

Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Yamah for me , I had the denon 1909 and wasnt completly satistfied while watching movies, i felt the surround sound on movie proccessed to much music and bass. I changed for the yamaha 765. The surround with movies was miles more defined, however i use q acoustics 1010 for speakers and movies and gaming are my preference. i have listened to my sisters denon 1910 before i replaced and the yamaha its still the best for me

lobby

Jun 30, 2008
Visit site
Seasiders rock where have you seen it for £350, when i Google it comes up around £500. At that price it's a steal, and i would partner them with the Q Acoustic if you can afford it.

TRENDING THREADS