Jack of all trades speakers for a small room

SamZ

May 13, 2016
Visit site
Hi.

I'm currently using a pair of Totem Arros but they seem to lack punch & dynamics needed for certain type of music.

Other than that they work really well. The bass is just right and they seem to have proper 3D stereo image which I really like.

I'd keep them if my primary focus was jazz & female vocals but I really want to listen to some rock & progressive as well.

I tried some ProACs D1's but they are too analytical & harsh. Was wondering of trying PMC, Harbeth maybe ATC ?

The amp is Marantz PM8005, source Marantz HD-DAC1 and Tidal.

Thanks so much!

Rimse

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
you can add subwoofer for punch,harbeth don't punch ,dynaudio punch but need to go loud,atc,monitor audio,triangle might do a trick,drive of the amp plays important role here as well

Perhaps you should wait for the compact floorstanding version of the Neat Iota to make it into production. Just a thought. :)

https://andreweverard.com/2016/02/29/neats-iota-speakers-grow-into-the-wtf-sensation-of-the-bristol-show/

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
What is the size of the room and how close to the wall/corner are your speakers?

IMO Kef LS50s have decent punch, detail and dynamics without being analytical...the R100s may also work. They do need decent filled stands and a bit of room to breathe, though.

NMANo1

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
Hi Sam,

I recently bought a pair of Neat Acoustics Motive 2 Floorstanders & I've been really impressed by their grip & dynamics. The bass, these quite small cabinets put out is very impressive too. It sounds almost like I'm using a subwoofer when playing dance vinyl but so far I haven't came across any genre they don't shine with TBH. Rock & acoustic music sound just as impressive. Also, My Mrs thinks they're a really cute design because they slope back so the tweeter is aimed at the seated listener. I don't envy your search. It took me over a year & many speakers auditioned before finding these. Good luck.

561C16BF-5F7A-4F68-B9CD-BECCCF184F73_zps3e6ml0qj.jpg

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Yes you have to keep trying with speakers until you find what you. About half I rejected straight away. Kef with Marantz maybe a bit on the tame side, maybe you need a more powerful amp? Dyns were alright but with jazz I found the treble too forward, those cymbals really did stick out. Maybe PMCs would work with Marantz or do they need more power? Heard the Neat Motives SX with Rega Elex R amp. last week I was not that impressed. Sonus Faber have a few fans on here, they maybe worth a try if you can get to a dealer.

Anyway I would try a more powerful amp with your Arros first see if that makes a difference.

SamZ said:
Hi.

I'm currently using a pair of Totem Arros but they seem to lack punch & dynamics needed for certain type of music.

Other than that they work really well. The bass is just right and they seem to have proper 3D stereo image which I really like.

I'd keep them if my primary focus was jazz & female vocals but I really want to listen to some rock & progressive as well.

I tried some ProACs D1's but they are too analytical & harsh. Was wondering of trying PMC, Harbeth maybe ATC ?

The amp is Marantz PM8005, source Marantz HD-DAC1 and Tidal.

Thanks so much!

Lucky person. I love the Arros.

FWIW all speakers are 'Jack of all trades'. No manufactuer specifically makes a speaker for any genre of music.

The problem with hi-fi is it's always going to be a compromise. However, some speakers sound a little better with certain genres. With that in mind, I'd look at Dali ranges, Focal, Monitor Audio Silver range....

But you'll need to dem (preferably at home) and see which one's tug your rug.. That said you'll lose a noticable amount of imaging - the Totems are lashed with imaging and soundstage.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts