J J J J Jitter ?

dogspangle

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site
Hello

I have an SBT connected to my router (BT Home hub) and my music source are flacs streamed from a PC that’s attached to a 5 port wireless hub, several rooms away from the Home hub and hifi.

I love the sound quality of the Touch > Brio R > RS1s, but sometimes, with ‘busy’ music, it can sound a tad muddled, and a direct comparison with my CA 650 BD confirms this.

I'm wondering, would connecting a NAS directly to the Home hub give the SBT a cleaner sound, and is this slightly muddled sound I'm experiencing jitter ?

Any thoughts or comments are much appreciated.
smiley-smile.gif

Regards

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
If I understand jitter correctly, then no you are not. Why don't you try connecting the laptop directly to the Home hub? If it sounds better, then your wireless connection may be dodgy and you could consider a direct connection or homeplugs . If it does not sound better then a NAS will not help the sound quality

John Duncan

hammill said:
If I understand jitter correctly, then no you are not. Why don't you try connecting the laptop directly to the Home hub? If it sounds better, then your wireless connection may be dodgy and you could consider a direct connection or homeplugs . If it does not sound better then a NAS will not help the sound quality

+1

dogspangle

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site
hammill said:
If I understand jitter correctly, then no you are not. Why don't you try connecting the laptop directly to the Home hub?

Hi Hammill (and John)

Thanks for the advice. I have finally transferred a handfull of fav CDs (flacs) on to my laptop and connected it directly into my Homehub2.

Comparing the two computer sources, I immediately noticed a more detailed, open presentation to the music, even with complex tracks, than the wirelessly streamed music from a more distant PC. I also think this direct connection to the Homehub > SBT > Brio R sounds better than my CA650 BD > Brio R configuration (although 650's phono leads are not too good).

Can I assume that a NAS (Synology DS212) will sound just as good as the laptop, and will any old 1m RJ45s be ok?

Many thanks

Regards

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts