ITV Player on Freesat - Is it just me?

MrW

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
I accessed ITV Player via channel 903 last night for the first time on my Panasonic TX-P50GT50 and wish I hadn't bothered...

The 'quality' was worse than I could have imagined, it pixelated, broke up and was generally unwatchable

My D/L speed on my broadband is a steady 18Mbps, and the TV is hardwired to my apple Airport Extreme

In stark contrast, BBC iPlayer is amazing on the TV, even in 'HD' mode

Has anyone else experienced this?

daveh75

MrW said:
I accessed ITV Player via channel 903 last night for the first time on my Panasonic TX-P50GT50 and wish I hadn't bothered...

The 'quality' was worse than I could have imagined, it pixelated, broke up and was generally unwatchable

My D/L speed on my broadband is a steady 18Mbps, and the TV is hardwired to my apple Airport Extreme

In stark contrast, BBC iPlayer is amazing on the TV, even in 'HD' mode

Has anyone else experienced this?

Its down to the quality of the streams.

I find itv player, 4od and demand5 are inferior to iplayer regardless of platform.

Paul. said:
Freesat on demand is not over your Internet connection, it's via your dish.

No it isn't, its IP delivered.

MrW

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the replies

I'll give it up as a bad job, as having tried my MBPr on ITV Player it's just as bad...

Makes you wonder why the TV channels bother eh?

On the subject of which, why is Channel 5 on Freesat such poor broadcast quality? (it's dire!)

daveh75

MrW said:
On the subject of which, why is Channel 5 on Freesat such poor broadcast quality? (it's dire!)
Because they're cheap.

When they decided to make 5*/5 USA available FTA (allowing them to launch on freesat) instead of FTV, it meant they had to find the extra transponder space, as it had previously been provided by Sky for 5*/5 USA in return for exclusivity.

Instead of acquiring extra space, they chose to shoehorn those channels onto their existing transponder they'd been using for Channel 5 and as a result the quality dropped across the board

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts