ITV 1HD Picture Quality

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have watched ITV 1HD a couple of times now and found the picture quality of programmes transmitted in HD to be virtually no different to SD on ITV 1. Anyone else noticed this?

When I watch Sky HD channels the picture is markedly sharper and brighter. Are they transmitting a higher quality HD signal?

(excuse the ignorance on these technical issues)

Petruchio

Mar 16, 2009
Visit site
That's interesting, as on Sky HD I've found ITV1HD to be much better than the SD equivalent.

I've always thought the ITV1 picture in SD was really poor, so when a simulcast HD channel came out I was very happy. I tend to watch all programmes on that whether they are in HD or not as it seems so much better than the "normal" one.

daveh75

It can also depend on what ITV1 HD region you receive.

There's four regions, two of which run at 1440 x 1080 (same as BBC HD) London/Meridian South. The other two are at full 1920 x 1080i resolution,Granada/Central West.

Though to be fair none of them could be considered a showcase for HD broadcasting,imo.

There is also a trade-off between picture and sound quality between the regions too, since the regions with lower picture resolution have AC-3 (DD 2.0) audio, wereas the regions with higher resolution only have MP2 audio.

micks_address

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
so which is the best region to tune to? also .. why do they not sure dolby digital in their broadcasts?

daveh75:

It can also depend on what ITV1 HD region you receive.

There's four regions, two of which run at 1440 x 1080 (same as BBC HD) London/Meridian South. The other two are at full 1920 x 1080i resolution,Granada/Central West.

Though to be fair none of them could be considered a showcase for HD broadcasting,imo.

There is also a trade-off between audio and sound quality between the regions too, since the regions with lower picture resolution have AC-3 (DD 2.0) audio, wereas the regions with higher resolution only have MP2 audio.

A

Anonymous

chudleighpaul:Depends what your watching. There is not a great deal of HD content on ITV, most of it is transmitted in SD.

True enough but I have enabled the function on the EPG which highlights all programmes broadcast in HD - and I have then been disappointed when watching these.

Cookie Monster

Jan 25, 2010
Visit site
ITV HD is great, as is Channel 5. Just BBC that tends to suffer based on material. Image really does depend on source material used. Watched Star Wars 3 on ITV HD and the picture was worse than upscaled dvd yet newer films look fantastic. Channel 4 HD and E4 HD also great.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
The easiest way to see the differences was when watching the World Cup. SD just looked awful, and ITV HD was obviously better, but noticably sub standard in comparison to BBD HD. They really need to get their act together.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi:

The easiest way to see the differences was when watching the World Cup. SD just looked awful, and ITV HD was obviously better, but noticably sub standard in comparison to BBD HD. They really need to get their act together.

Do you think they care? The best picture for me got to be Eurosport HD! Moror racing look absolutely stunning.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
WTCC does look rather good
emotion-21.gif

A

Anonymous

Aye. Some of the ITV HD footage looked worse than SD for me.

Sorreltiger

Apr 22, 2008
Visit site
My beef with ITV HD seems to be their frequent inability to sync sound and vision, particularly noticeable during half-time in the football. I'm sure it's not my system as it doesn't happen on any other HD channel.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts